What current QBs are in your Hall of Very Good

patriotsheatyan

1 minute ago, Warhorse said:

Cam - 29,041 yds, 182 TD's, 108 int's

Matt - 41,025 yds, 256 TD's, 134 int's

[input rushing yards, W/L, playoff record, pro bowls, all pro’s, MVP]

Stafford’s probably the bottom or close to the bottom of what I think is acceptable for a long term starting QB. Much closer to Dalton and Cousins than say Wilson and Ryan. 

37 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Cam a better QB than Stafford? Seriously?

Stafford might be a better QB than Cam but he’s definitely not been as decorated, and that’s why Cam probably has a better case for HOVG. Cam does have an MVP after all.

I do feel bad for Stafford though, as he’s never truly had that elite coach. Before the Chiefs/Lions game last year one of the local radio guys in KC was breaking down Stafford’s career and why he hasn’t accomplished more. Coaching is a big part of it. I think he would have been very good under Reid, and I even think would have gotten the Chiefs to the SB at least once between 2015-17.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

[input rushing yards, W/L, playoff record, pro bowls, all pro’s, MVP]

Stafford’s probably the bottom or close to the bottom of what I think is acceptable for a long term starting QB. Much closer to Dalton and Cousins than say Wilson and Ryan. 

Isn't it ironic that those yards on the ground, is why he has been so injured? I respect your opinion, but it is my guess that far more GM's given the opportunity to draft either as a rookie, in hindsight, would take Matt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Isn't it ironic that those yards on the ground, is why he has been so injured? I respect your opinion, but it is my guess that far more GM's given the opportunity to draft either as a rookie, in hindsight, would take Matt. 

Cam’s missed 19 games. Stafford’s missed 27. 

There’s certainly an argument that Stafford’s a better passer, but I don’t see one at all that indicates he’s had a better career. Things like Cam’s rushing, his awards, and the success he’s had, play big roles in that discussion. It’s all a part of the resume and Stafford is lacking in that department.

26 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Cam’s missed 19 games. Stafford’s missed 27. 

Well, he has played 24 more games. Again, I still feel that the vast majority of GM's would do what I said in an earlier post. That tells me his worth, and ranking. 

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

How though? Like you said in the previous sentence, Ryan has more accolades, so why wouldn’t Ryan leave a more lasting impression?

More-so in how the media and casual fan perceive them.  Generally, I feel like Rivers has always been portrayed in a better light than Ryan.  Or well, talked about more anyway.  It goes into what I was saying about how I think Rivers could get in because he was a part of that 2004 QB Class.  I think he's got perception on his side, whereas I'm not really sure Ryan will be remembered for anything.

His MVP season, to me, will be kind of like Rich Gannon's.  Not that they were equal or anything like that.  More-so in like a, "oh yeah, Matt Ryan did win MVP."  But I could be wrong about that.  It's just how it feels to me.  

45 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Cam hurt his shoulder after throwing an interception and re-injured it in 2018 taking a sack.  Not sure what injury you are thinking of that was caused by his running.  His foot injury in the preseason, maybe?  But that was still a sack, and it literally could happen to any mobile QB trying to evade a sack.

14 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Well, he has played 24 more games. Again, I still feel that the vast majority of GM's would do what I said in an earlier post. That tells me his worth, and ranking. 

Stafford’s played 24 more games because he’s been in the league for two more seasons. He’s missed more games too. If you want to use percentages, Cam’s played in 87% of games (higher, if you include playoffs), Stafford 85%. So it’s a negligible difference but if you want to bring it up, Stafford misses games more often. Seems odd to bring up injuries to downplay one guy when the other has actually missed more time.

You can’t really use your opinion on who GMs want, to justify your opinion on which has had the better career. Cam’s more decorated, has had better team success, is comparable in most stats, and has been more available than Stafford has.

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

I do feel bad for Stafford though, as he’s never truly had that elite coach. Before the Chiefs/Lions game last year one of the local radio guys in KC was breaking down Stafford’s career and why he hasn’t accomplished more. Coaching is a big part of it. I think he would have been very good under Reid, and I even think would have gotten the Chiefs to the SB at least once between 2015-17.

The best coach Stafford has played under is Jim Caldwell. The best OC Stafford has had is probably Scott Linehan, though that depends on  your opinion of Bevell (Bevell has certainly been OC for more successful teams than Linehan). He's played with a single 1000 yd rusher. 

The guy has never had a chance. 

• Like 1

HoVG right now.... Wilson, Rivers, and Ryan.

I would also throw Mahomes into this category too --  barring a major breakdown on his part. 

I know, I know..... lack of longevity, accolades, etc. But in just 2 seasons at the age of 24 he has already revolutionized the QB position for the modern/future generation at a level that has never been seen before with his accurate no-look passes, being named a 1st team all-pro QB in his first season as a starter, winning a SBMVP in his 2nd year, being only the 2nd QB in history to throw 50 TD's and over 5,000 yards in a season, while leading an offense that scored the 3rd most points ever in a single season behind only the 2007 Patriots(Brady) and 2013 Broncos(Peyton).  

Yes, it's WAY too early to throw him into this convo but he is well on his way. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

HoVG right now.... Wilson, Rivers, and Ryan.

I would also throw Mahomes into this category too --  barring a major breakdown on his part. 

I'm more shocked on the inclusion of Wilson in this discussion.

River who if he played on any other franchise other then the Browns or Chargers would have made the hall of fame.

Eli was right about the dysfunction of the Chargers organization. Rivers gave the team everything and they gave him...Norv Turner and Mike McCoy.