We have hired a team president.

MikeT14

I support this move.  I think Rivera needed some help, especially on the business side.  I just hope this guy has the experience.  He is pretty young.

I also like that this sounds like a truly an independent hire.  I am curious how they found him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I support this move.  I think Rivera needed some help, especially on the business side.  I just hope this guy has the experience.  He is pretty young.

I also like that this sounds like a truly an independent hire.  I am curious how they found him.

Probably suggested by the league front off the way Brian Lafemina & company were a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Probably suggested by the league front off the way Brian Lafemina & company were a few years ago.

This was my thought. It followed a related thought that it’s an interesting thing for them to have hired the first black team president so closely on the heels of their “Rooney Rule” violation in hiring Terry Bateman. 

I find myself wondering if making this very positive hiring — from the standpoint of positive PR for the league and from the standpoint of the league getting a potential rising star (and a fully independent individual, entirely unconnected with either Snyder or Rivera) into the embattled Washington organization — was some sort of quid pro quo to help get the league to look past their “process” on the Bateman hiring. 

Either way, I’m on board with it. The more sensible, dynamic voices that exist in the organization, the better. It got fouled up with LaFemina and his guys, but I think we can (for now, at least) hope that was more Bruce’s doing than Dan’s. Hopefully this guy and Kyle Smith will be a long-term fit together as an FO duo to move the franchise forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hope snyder did it on his own or at least initiated deciding to hire a team president on his own.  If he asked for candidate advise from the league I would actually see that as a positive.

The whole Lafemina hiring and subsequent failure is hard to judge because it might have just been Bruce Allen's ego that caused this to fail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

This was my thought. It followed a related thought that it’s an interesting thing for them to have hired the first black team president so closely on the heels of their “Rooney Rule” violation in hiring Terry Bateman. 

I find myself wondering if making this very positive hiring — from the standpoint of positive PR for the league and from the standpoint of the league getting a potential rising star (and a fully independent individual, entirely unconnected with either Snyder or Rivera) into the embattled Washington organization — was some sort of quid pro quo to help get the league to look past their “process” on the Bateman hiring. 

Either way, I’m on board with it. The more sensible, dynamic voices that exist in the organization, the better. It got fouled up with LaFemina and his guys, but I think we can (for now, at least) hope that was more Bruce’s doing than Dan’s. Hopefully this guy and Kyle Smith will be a long-term fit together as an FO duo to move the franchise forward. 

Was thinking the same thing, this touched the right demographic and he’s young but he also seems qualified. I hope he does well in helping guide us on a new team name, a new stadium- that I hope is in DC - and organizational direction the rest of this year, next and into the future.

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

I hope snyder did it on his own or at least initiated deciding to hire a team president on his own.  If he asked for candidate advise from the league I would actually see that as a positive.

The whole Lafemina hiring and subsequent failure is hard to judge because it might have just been Bruce Allen's ego that caused this to fail.

Lafemina didn’t fail, Bruce just undermined him and got rid of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Still, he's 38 and only has seven years of experience in the business world.  It is going to be super tough to navigate Washington DC, even with the inroads he has made right now.  

As I expected, lots of this is hinging on his playing days.  And I really like that.  I am still torn on this.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Still, he's 38 and only has seven years of experience in the business world.  It is going to be super tough to navigate Washington DC, even with the inroads he has made right now.  

As I expected, lots of this is hinging on his playing days.  And I really like that.  I am still torn on this.  

I don't want to get this closed but if the President can have no Political experience and be put in office how can this guy not get a shot. 

It's clear Wright has experience and qualifications in both Football and Business. What is there to be torn on? Who else did they have mind? Who was blowing up Dan Snyder phone to be Washington's Team President?

Accept the Positive Change that is happening for the NFL Football Team you cheer for. Somebody really did well in getting Men of High Character in positions of Power after Jay and Bruce where let go. That can't be forgotten or just push to the side. 

Give the man a chance.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Getting your MBA is usually 2 years, so I guess I misspoke, 7 years in business. Listen to his interview, consultants consult and usually they are the experts you bring in to help you get something done you couldn’t do as well in house. He’s helped companies globally the last 5 years plus, he sounds like a breath of fresh air in the interview above.

Look, there’s no guarantee that anything the team tries will ever work out, but they now have someone to go with Rivera, Doug & Kyle in that front office. 

I mean the 49ers took John Lynch out of the broadcast booth, what expertise did he have in running a team? I’d say that’s fine worked well.

Most of my team are "consultants". Many with MBAs. And many of them have about 5-8 years of experience after getting that MBA. 

None of them have the experience to run an NFL franchise.

The beauty of being a consultant is that they bring you in, and you give your opinion on how things should be run, and then the client decides. If things go badly, the actual blame for it doesn't rest with consultants, but with the client. Especially if they don't take the consultants' advice. 

Point being ^^^. That if he was a business consultant, he was only responsible for the contract he was on at the time. He wasn't actually responsible for the success or failure of the organization that hired the company he worked for.

Like with @naptownskinsfan, I'm not against this hire. But it seems the guy is a little light on the qualifications. Remember, he's coming in at a time of organizational change. It's one thing to consult. It's quite another thing if it's YOUR butt in a sling if you get it wrong. 

My guess is that this is a "former player" hire, who checks off a bunch of boxes. And will be monitored by our pseudo-GM.

Not completely against this at all. Just also not giving me the "warm and fuzzies" either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Most of my team are "consultants". Many with MBAs. And many of them have about 5-8 years of experience after getting that MBA. 

None of them have the experience to run an NFL franchise.

The beauty of being a consultant is that they bring you in, and you give your opinion on how things should be run, and then the client decides. If things go badly, the actual blame for it doesn't rest with consultants, but with the client. Especially if they don't take the consultants' advice. 

Point being ^^^. That if he was a business consultant, he was only responsible for the contract he was on at the time. He wasn't actually responsible for the success or failure of the organization that hired the company he worked for.

Like with @naptownskinsfan, I'm not against this hire. But it seems the guy is a little light on the qualifications. Remember, he's coming in at a time of organizational change. It's one thing to consult. It's quite another thing if it's YOUR butt in a sling if you get it wrong. 

My guess is that this is a "former player" hire, who checks off a bunch of boxes. And will be monitored by our pseudo-GM.

Not completely against this at all. Just also not giving me the "warm and fuzzies" either.

Yet this team took freaking chances on Jay Gruden and Steve Spurrier. Not warm or fuzzy ether yet you went through the process and still are a Fan today. 

What can Wright do worst than what we had? Especially with the new changes made with Rivera and Julie Donaldson hirings. 

• Like 1

Dan screwed up hiring a coach thats had 3 winning seasons in 9 years. He screwed up hiring Julie. Which the first thing that idiot did was hire DHall. And DHall has a job with with WFT.

This hiring has to be good because every other person hired has been so bad.

Its like... Look at all us here. Yall are all.... "Americans" to put it kindly. And then theres me. I own a freaking vineyard. Im who all yalls parents wished you could grow up to be. Same with these hirings. One has to be a winner at some point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So was Mike Tomlin and he won a super bowl his first year. Lynch is another example as is Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay as coaches getting to a super bowl at 40 or before, age ain’t nothing but a number.