We have hired a team president.

MikeT14

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, from Julie Donaldson to Wright, these hires are kinda way out of left field. I get what’s going on here and we aren’t allowed to discuss it but it seems in our quest to champion diversity we went way overboard. Rick Smith, Louis Riddick, Alonzo Highsmith, Doug Williams, Troy Vincent etc would’ve made more sense as far as team president goes. Someone who’s had a real personnel role in an organization. I personally don’t care about the radio broadcast and the silly television show so the Julie Donaldson hire doesn’t affect me as a fan. 

The major issue is we hired Ron Rivera, gave him entirely too much power and he’s hiring people off of his feelings as opposed to what is best for the organization. If it works out, great but this is looking like the same old stuff we did with Gibbs and then Bruce Allen. You’ve been grooming Kyle Smith for years and the opportunity to turn the franchise over to him was right there and instead you turn it over to a coach who never built a roster, ran a draft or ran an organization. This is Gibbs 2.0 all over again with a much less talented coach at the helm.  

None of those guys, with the exception of maybe Troy Vincent, has the experience in the business world to handle team president.  With Rivera handling football operations, team president has nothing to really do with the team side of things.  But I do like having someone in the room of owners/presidents who can advocate for the players.  

And hiring a 38 year old after hearing of the influence Ron Rivera has is what's really giving me pause and thinking through some things here.  I wonder if he will truly be independent or if Rivera is going to be trying to supervise him as well. 

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I agree going the route of a Joe Gibbs but also remember Gibbs played a part in getting Rivera here from reports. The fact he has NFL Experience is good for me. He knows things about players and has learned the businesses side of things. Clearly CHANGE was needed and it Happened. Had Bruce and Jay been part of this hire I'd be more sceptical yet Rivera LEADERSHIP has made me a bit more settled with this move. I have my doubts about him bringing in ALL of his Carolina Coaches but I do their Leadership skills are far beyond Jay and Bruce.

Also who was gonna take this job at this moment? 

I don't think he's learned the business side of things.  In his business career, he's basically been a consultant.  I bet he has no idea how the ticket office works, for example.  Doesn't mean he can't learn, but with everything else on his immediate plate, learning the rest of the business is going to take a backburner.  And rightfully so in a sense, because he is dealing with ownership tensions, sexual harassment allegations on top of Coronavirus.  This is why they should have gone with an experienced team president for a time, and selected him as the person in waiting.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don't think he's learned the business side of things.  In his business career, he's basically been a consultant.  I bet he has no idea how the ticket office works, for example.  Doesn't mean he can't learn, but with everything else on his immediate plate, learning the rest of the business is going to take a backburner.  And rightfully so in a sense, because he is dealing with ownership tensions, sexual harassment allegations on top of Coronavirus.  This is why they should have gone with an experienced team president for a time, and selected him as the person in waiting.  

What's on his Immediate plate in your opinion? 

I would say selecting a Team Name, Staff for Home Games even without fans, and 3rd keeping the positive Energy around the Team heading into the 1st Covid-19 type season. 

What did I miss? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Despite the anarchy of our team, like the head coaching position, it is one of only 32 total jobs in the world that comes with not only $ but power. There's a line believe it or not.

I mean, Tony Wyllie turned a senior leadership position into running Special Olympics in North America.  So the stink of the club doesn't happen all of the time with competent people.  Same with Brian Lafemina, he's ended up on his feet but away from football.  

Team Presidents are very influential in the NFL, I can see where people would be interested, but I don't have a list of names because they normally don't come from the front offices, especially in the NFL.  That influence is why I like having a former player in the room.  I just wonder with his experience, how much he ends up over his head initially and recovering well, on top of being railroaded like Snyder usually ends up doing. 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

What's on his Immediate plate in your opinion? 

I would say selecting a Team Name, Staff for Home Games even without fans, and 3rd keeping the positive Energy around the Team heading into the 1st Covid-19 type season. 

What did I miss? 

Team name, navigating the sexual harassment lawsuits and the fallout/recommendations from independent counsel as well as dealing with the behind-the-scenes issues between Snyder and the minority partners.  

That is before we even talk about anything related to Coronavirus, which includes your home game mention.  

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Team name, navigating the sexual harassment lawsuits and the fallout/recommendations from independent counsel as well as dealing with the behind-the-scenes issues between Snyder and the minority partners.  

That is before we even talk about anything related to Coronavirus, which includes your home game mention.  

The lawsuits will be paid and the Culture has shown signs of change even before he was signed. I don't see that being a BIG issue any further unless events of the past were to continue. Guice being released seems to prove that type of behavior won't be tolerated here anymore. 

Did the Minority Owners not have a say so in his hire? If not I don't see what Power Wright has to fix that situation. They will ether stay with Snyder or sale their percentage. 

As a former player I expect him to know and do what it takes to keep the guys and staff safe as possible. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, from Julie Donaldson to Wright, these hires are kinda way out of left field. I get what’s going on here and we aren’t allowed to discuss it but it seems in our quest to champion diversity we went way overboard. Rick Smith, Louis Riddick, Alonzo Highsmith, Doug Williams, Troy Vincent etc would’ve made more sense as far as team president goes. Someone who’s had a real personnel role in an organization. I personally don’t care about the radio broadcast and the silly television show so the Julie Donaldson hire doesn’t affect me as a fan. 

The major issue is we hired Ron Rivera, gave him entirely too much power and he’s hiring people off of his feelings as opposed to what is best for the organization. If it works out, great but this is looking like the same old stuff we did with Gibbs and then Bruce Allen. You’ve been grooming Kyle Smith for years and the opportunity to turn the franchise over to him was right there and instead you turn it over to a coach who never built a roster, ran a draft or ran an organization. This is Gibbs 2.0 all over again with a much less talented coach at the helm.  

They may have leaned in that direction, but it isn't like they canned Larry Michaels just for hiring a diversity hire.  And it isn't like we didn't need a team president.  Rivera had way too much on his plate.  I have my questions about Rivera, but you would be hard pressed to not call him at least one of the best available coaches to hire, not a diversity hire. 

I would also point out, that the league is very strongly pushing for diversity hires.

I don't think Wright or Donaldson were Rivera's hires.  Certainly not Wright.  

Kyle Smith should be GM, but he has zero experience for this role.  This is business stuff.  Operations.  HR.  New stadium deal.  Logistics.  I don't think any of the guys you listed are qualified for this type of job.  

Gibbs 2.0 failed as much for giving Gibbs GM responsibilities which where outside of his expertise and took time from focusing on the field.    I don't want to do the same thing for Rivera.  I realize Rivera wants to be more than a coach, but this business stuff is too much. 

• Like 2

The hires are from Way out in left field? Why? Bc people haven’t heard of them bc they were working in the business world and not for an NFL team, or because they were actually doing the same exact job they’re doing now for NBCSportsWashington?

I get being apprehensive about it, but the reasoning for it - other than not believing in Snyder long term - does not make sense to me at all. 

Some of the reactions go right along with my disagreement from some who seem to think Rivera is destine to fail before he even coaches a game when in fact if you look at what he’s already done, he’s already done as much or more than anyone in 20 years in improvement of the culture of the team before they’ve even played a game.

I don’t and never will understand those who always go to the negative in any situation instead of looking at positives and being hopeful for the future. One thing about Wright is he is young, so if he does a good job he could be around for decades - like most of the rest of our lives as our team President which bodes well for our future, if he does well with the marketing & the process of choosing a new name which it sounds like he already has a plan for that and a new stadium, that’s a great thing for our teams future.

Hey, how about we have some patience for once? Not patience with Snyder but these new people haven’t done anything for us to not give them a shot. Not doing so, just comes off as you’re just hating to hate and *itching all the time, which for some has been constant since February except for the drafting of Chase Young, it’s a wait and see.

Edited by turtle28

I would like to read how Snyder came to the hire of Wright. Who/ where did the recommend come from ? I doubt Snyder has had him on his radar for months .

Someone Snyder trust ( maybe Bateman ) came up with him as a candidate. 

PS- May have gotten the answer. I think I've seen it mentioned before - Goodell. ( source M Phillips )

So how was he on Goodell's radar ? 

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I would like to read how Snyder came to the hire of Wright. Who/ where did the recommend come from ? I doubt Snyder has had him on his radar for months .

Someone Snyder trust ( maybe Bateman ) came up with him as a candidate. 

PS- May have gotten the answer. I think I've seen it mentioned before - Goodell. ( source M Phillips )

So how was he on Goodell's radar ? 

Wright was on the Junkies this morning. He said they somewhat knew each other through just working in business in the DC Area. He was on NFL’s list for this type of job bc of the business world he had been doing and he was a former player. He said he had a lot of questions for Snyder - like Rivera - and did a lot of listening for days. They formed a good working dialogue over the weeks where he was being vetted. 

Again, great interview lien his interview with Strahan yesterday. I have no clue if this is going to work out but I do like him. I’m not worried about the New Name W/ him involved. I was when it was just Rivera & Snyder, but I trust a 38 year old former player with what seems like business connections in the DC area & he seems like a cool guy to make a good decision w/ the new name & the marketing for it.

I’m worried about the stadium still. I’m not sure how much Wright has experience for that, but I do trust him more than Bruce who I think was just going to settle on Ashburn for the new stadium. I think with the name change & hiring if Wright that a new stadium where RFK is very possible.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I liked he said the new name will be heavily Fan inclusive ! We'll see .. 

Well I actually liked that he didn’t just say “fan inclusive. ”  In the Strahan interview, Wright said “community inclusive.” So, that’s more than just taking the fans opinions on a poll of 10 names into account, basically don’t do what the Wizards did bc then you end with a name that is well, like the Wizards. Sounds like they are taking the entire region into account and also a military/national pride theme as Rivera has suggested a month ago.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In doing my job for the last 15 years we’ve had to hire consultants for us to get a lot of things done for us and every time they’ve know more than us in their particular area of expertise except with exactly how our union works bc that’s our area of expertise. So, the fact that he’s a business consultant shouldn’t be seen As a bad thing IMO, maybe more of a wait and see. 

They should have gone with an experienced team president? Well who is that? And does that person want to leave what he is currently doing to work for Snyder. 

Lavar did provide some good names, like Rick Smith. Remember they were talking to him last Nov or Dec about working here, but it didn’t happen, not sure why. I’m sure they interviewed others but Jason Wright was the most impressive. Look, this happens when HC’s are hired too, young inexperienced guys sometimes wow more than the older vet coaches and they get the job. Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan come to mind and I’m probably missing some people.

• Like 1