Training Camp News

dll2000

Basically practices are going to be like getting ready for season in high school except with more meetings.  So coaches are going to want their guys in place ASAP and preparing for season with max reps.  

Guys aren't really going to have much of a chance to 'win' a job.   You better make a good early impression if you want a job.

14 padded practices and probably about half that time with semi-live work.   You better kick *** and give Rudy effort.  F the veterans getting mad at you, you better go all out every chance you get.  

Your whole career could come down to a handful of days and reps.   I hope these young guys realize it.  

Heck my family moved my senior year of high school and I am not a huge guy.   I had to kick *** every day of practice and it still took me until 3rd game to break starting line up.  I wasn't best player on team by a stretch, but I was definitely better than some guys in front of me.  

I finally started timing my hits so I blasted the coaches favorites into oblivion right in front of them and then I would stare the coaches down.  That did the trick.

Human nature means these guys will go with early assumptions until you prove them otherwise and only way to do that is to win reps in practice convincingly.   Vets are going to want to go easy so they stay healthy and/or they don't lose a job. 

• Like 1

@G08 I watched that earlier. It's alright but not revealing enough as I'd hoped.  This is one of those small things that sucks about the pandemic.....we're not gonna get a chance to see as much real action as in the past. And let's be honest, videos posted by Bears.com are going to be all fluff propaganda. 

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/5-things-we-learned-from-first-padded-practice

it looks like Burns ran with the 1's today.  A lot of folks didn't even have him making team.   He still might not, but that says he likely will.   To me that was most interesting thing of article.

Roberson breaking his foot so close to training camp was Burns' ticket on the team.  As Larry Mayer said in his article, Burns playing with 1's doesn't necessarily means that Burns is a favorite.   

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/5-things-we-learned-from-first-padded-practice

(3) Free-agent acquisition Artie Burns worked with the No. 1 defense at cornerback opposite Kyle Fuller. But that doesn't necessarily mean Burns is the favorite in a competition with Kevin Toliver and rookie second-round pick Jaylon Johnson.

"I think every day might be a little bit different as we play more and more and they start to get guys in there to get a feel for what they can do well and what they can't do well," Nagy said. "That's a very important position that we need to get right and only time will tell with reps."

Because of C19, almost all veterans have the immediate upper hand in earning a spot/starting job since all offseason programs were cancelled and Burns has the most NFL experience out of all CBs competing for the #2 position.

That said, I don't see how Jaylon isn't the starter by atleast week (IF there is a week 2).

Toliver has the most experience in this particular defensive system but was disappointing last year as a starter. We just used our 2nd pick on Jaylon and almost all CB's taken in the 2nd start the majority of the season in their rookie year, and those corners who didn't start were usually related to unforeseen reasons such as injuries and off-the-field issues.   

Burns is a major liability in coverage so I hope we don't have to rely on him but it's not a bad idea to bring him in for depth and hope Pagano can get the most out him in case he is ever needed. 

On a side note: Mooney beat Burns in drills but dropped the ball. 

I can't wait to see Mooney in live action. 

Could easily be another reason Burns is lining up with the #1s.

We know what we have in Tolliver.  He's proven he can play at this level.

Johnson is a lock and coming off surgery so they may as well be cautious with him.

Burns is actually up against a half dozen others and being given a shot to see if he's all that much better than Tolliver who I believe is also a lock.

58 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Well Burns is out for the year. Now that spot is down to 2. Think we could use some help at corner. 

They just spent 2 draft picks on it this year and 1 last year.   Plus Toliver has made roster every year.   They got what they got I think for good or ill.   Most or many didn't even think Burns was making team anyway.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They just spent 2 draft picks on it this year and 1 last year.   Plus Toliver has made roster every year.   They got what they got I think for good or ill.   Most or many didn't even think Burns was making team anyway.  

Apparently he was having a good camp. It's really just Toliver and Johnson at that position now. Sort of uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

Apparently he was having a good camp. It's really just Toliver and Johnson at that position now. Sort of uncomfortable. 

Ideally the pass rush gets back to 2019 pre-London where they were crushing the QB. Much easier to play corner when the opposition has little time to throw

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

Most everyone thought it was Toliver or Johnson anyway.   Nothing has changed from plan.  Just lost possible depth player.  

• Like 1