Training Camp News

dll2000

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Scheme and coaching play a huge role in OL play. Some decent feedback thus far on how Castillo is doing and how well James Daniels has looked. I am worried that they won't be as good right now as they will be later on in the season, but it is what it is. Rep the **** out of it.

I agree there were scheme issues last seasons.

But this Ol could make a big step forward and still not be good enough to support the level of QB play we are likely to get.

In 2018 they were better and still sucked in the run game.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have less faith than you that Juan Castillo and Germain Ifedi can turn around one of the worst run games in the league last season.

We need

-One of the QBs fo play well (yikes)

-Montgomery to get healthy

-The OL to be better despite 4/5 spots being the same

-A 5th round rookie or a 36 year old speed WR to contribute

-The TEs to continue to build off a strong camp (might be most likely)

That is a lot of things to go right, we know from experience that doesn’t all happen.

That's 100% fair. I don't think he's going to be a magic cure for the line, but I am of the opinion that we have some talent on the line. They just had awful execution last season and were rarely, if ever, in sync. I don't need 4.6 YPC (I'd love it, though), but keep me above 4.0 and I'm okay. There has to be the threat of the run in order for (what I think) this offense to find success and be unpredictrable.

As for Mitch, use him for the talent he has... run him, get him on the move and throwing while rolling left/right, don't use an athletic talent like you would use a statue QB. That is poor coaching IMO.

Monty will get there, we can survive 2-3 weeks with Pierece/Nall/Patterson/Cohen.

Speed is speed my friend. The kid, by all accounts, has learned the playbook well and is dusting our corners in practice. Send him vertical, use him on ghost motion and sprinkle in some reverses (think 49ers).

A lot of unknowns -- true -- but I am seeing things optimistically because I don't know any other way at this point in the season. More clarity will come once 'tape' becomes available for us to pour over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But this Ol could make a big step forward and still not be good enough to support the level of QB play we are likely to get.

This is where I don't agree; if the OL takes a big step forward it means that the run game is successful which will mean that we will unlock coverages that benefit the passing game. It will allow Nagy and friends to scheme more than just being a sitting duck in 11 personnel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's 100% fair. I don't think he's going to be a magic cure for the line, but I am of the opinion that we have some talent on the line. They just had awful execution last season and were rarely, if ever, in sync. I don't need 4.6 YPC (I'd love it, though), but keep me above 4.0 and I'm okay. There has to be the threat of the run in order for (what I think) this offense to find success and be unpredictrable.

As for Mitch, use him for the talent he has... run him, get him on the move and throwing while rolling left/right, don't use an athletic talent like you would use a statue QB. That is poor coaching IMO.

Monty will get there, we can survive 2-3 weeks with Pierece/Nall/Patterson/Cohen.

Speed is speed my friend. The kid, by all accounts, has learned the playbook well and is dusting our corners in practice. Send him vertical, use him on ghost motion and sprinkle in some reverses (think 49ers).

A lot of unknowns -- true -- but I am seeing things optimistically because I don't know any other way at this point in the season. More clarity will come once 'tape' becomes available for us to pour over.

I expect better TE play, the OL totaL screw ups to decrease, and slightly better QB play.

Not sure that is enough to get into the top 20.

Edited by WindyCity

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I expect better TE play, the OL totaL screw ups to decrease, and slightly better QB play.

Not sure that is enough to get into the top 20.

Top 5 (top 3?) defense and a 21st ranked offense was 17.6 ppg given up and 21.3 points scored per game  in 2019. That is a winning record.

Edited by G08

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

Top 5 (top 3?) defense and a 21st ranked offense was 17.6 ppg given up and 21.3 points scored per game  in 2019. That is a winning record.

21 ppg is right on the border of making you competitive.

You would need a pretty special defensive year to actually make noise in the playoffs.

For me they need to be a top 20 offense. 18-20 is fine. I have a hard time seeing that type of jump with the additions they made.

Unless Foles is sandbagging with these camp struggles.

37 minutes ago, G08 said:

Is there a stat that shows Mitch is better on the move? I'm truly asking, not being a smarta**. I ask because the same was said about Cutler. "Let him roll out and throw on the move" yet no OC ever made it a point for that to happen often. Perhaps Jay wasn't as good on the move as we thought and maybe the same goes for MT

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Is there a stat that shows Mitch is better on the move? I'm truly asking, not being a smarta**. I ask because the same was said about Cutler. "Let him roll out and throw on the move" yet no OC ever made it a point for that to happen often. Perhaps Jay wasn't as good on the move as we thought and maybe the same goes for MT

It isn’t sustainable. It severely limits your throwing options and requires your WRs to win a lot of 1 on 1s

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I am neither pro or anti Pace.  I think he has done some really good and has had his share of head scratching moments.  That being said, his lack of investment in the offensive line is mind-blowing and borderline criminal.

I'm in the same spot. Idc about his support from the top or anything, he has retooled a trash defense into one of the best in the league and deserves credit, but has made some really poor decisions on offense and deserves the flak he gets for it. He has one really good year overall and one pretty disappointing one. This is a year that will lead to (hopefully) more insight to his tenure being successful or going downhill. 

I am ok with Pace ... he is sensible but aldo takes big swings  ! Graham and Kmet will make him look good, Foles should also make him look good and if D stays healthy should be a pretty good year for RP .......... we will  land another high caliber RB at some point

• Like 1