Training Camp News

dll2000

46 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Been occupied by other stuff lately, and am sort of out of the loop on training camp stuff. Was unaware of the "QB slider". Sounds just awful. And kind of silly.

After Pace said he was going to draft quarterbacks all the time, too. It's kind of maddening, especially since Daniel isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore. 

Daniel?  You mean Foles?  Foles is on 31 and he's already won a Super Bowl.  A lot of QBs never won one before they were in their 30s.

But I don't know why Pace hasn't taken more shots at mid or late round QBs either although under Fox and Loggains would it have done any good?

I honestly believe DiFilippo may be the only really good QB coach we've ever had.

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

While that statement is true, the worst part about it is that if we had merely stuck with Orton, we may have had decent quarterback play for five to seven years. The guy was really coming into his own when we traded him...

Haha, no way.  Did you pay any attention to how he faired here in Denver?  As soon as the AFC learned he had no accuracy on his deep ball and no mobility they took away his short game and he sunk like a stone in a pond.  Neckbeard was never more than a decent #2.  Cutler was a far better passer than Orton ever thought he could be.

58 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Been occupied by other stuff lately, and am sort of out of the loop on training camp stuff. Was unaware of the "QB slider". Sounds just awful. And kind of silly.

After Pace said he was going to draft quarterbacks all the time, too. It's kind of maddening, especially since Daniel isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore. 

Luckily Daniel is the Lions' problem now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Haha, no way.  Did you pay any attention to how he faired here in Denver?  As soon as the AFC learned he had no accuracy on his deep ball and no mobility they took away his short game and he sunk like a stone in a pond.  Neckbeard was never more than a decent #2.  Cutler was a far better passer than Orton ever thought he could be.

^^^
Agree 100%

5 hours ago, soulman said:

But I don't know why Pace hasn't taken more shots at mid or late round QBs either although under Fox and Loggains would it have done any good?

I honestly believe DiFilippo may be the only really good QB coach we've ever had.

So far Nagy hasnt shown anything either in terms of QB development TBH. I don't think he had near as much to do with Smith or Mahomes as Reid did. 

It doesnt excuse it though if he allowed coaches he had no faith in to remain. HCs you have big deals and guarantees, but positional coaches are so cheap you fire them whenever you lose faith in them. Can be afer the first year on a 4 year deal, it's like a 6th round pick that stinks. You just move on and cut the minimal loss.

To me either Pace just didn't like a guy enough to warrant the other picks or he was so overconfident in Tru that it bit him on the ***. 

I'm well documented for being a fan of Flip, I hope he gets Tru on track but I'm skeptical. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

So far Nagy hasnt shown anything either in terms of QB development TBH. I don't think he had near as much to do with Smith or Mahomes as Reid did. 

It doesnt excuse it though if he allowed coaches he had no faith in to remain. HCs you have big deals and guarantees, but positional coaches are so cheap you fire them whenever you lose faith in them. Can be afer the first year on a 4 year deal, it's like a 6th round pick that stinks. You just move on and cut the minimal loss.

To me either Pace just didn't like a guy enough to warrant the other picks or he was so overconfident in Tru that it bit him on the ***. 

I'm well documented for being a fan of Flip, I hope he gets Tru on track but I'm skeptical. 

If Flip can't make an above average QB out of him Mitch's deal is done in Chicago and more than likely as a front line starter anywhere.  Maybe some team will sign him on the cheap hoping their staff can get max efficiency out of him in their offense but I doubt he'll become a sought after commodity as anyone's starter.

Given that Mitch only started one year in college I'm beginning to wonder whether or not his inconsistencies have always been there.  Clearly he has the arm and legs to become a top shelf NFL QB yet he can't seem to put it all together in his head and take advantage of that. He's like the **** tease of NFL QBs.  Looks hot but never puts out.

On 8/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, beardown3231 said:

Is there a stat that shows Mitch is better on the move? I'm truly asking, not being a smarta**. I ask because the same was said about Cutler. "Let him roll out and throw on the move" yet no OC ever made it a point for that to happen often. Perhaps Jay wasn't as good on the move as we thought and maybe the same goes for MT

I'm not sure, but I am a big, big fan of outside zone and building boots/waggles off those looks in play action. Gives me football boners.

The offense will be better, they really can’t be worse, they upgraded 3 guys in the offseason Shaheen, Burton and Long.

Will they be good enough. Probably not. The talent level is still below average and they would need a handful of guys to play well above what they have shown.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The offense will be better, they really can’t be worse, they upgraded 3 guys in the offseason Shaheen, Burton and Long.

Will they be good enough. Probably not. The talent level is still below average and they would need a handful of guys to play well above what they have shown.

If the OL can get back to 2018 level we saw in Nagy's first year as HC then I think they can be pretty decent and push for a PO spot.  Will require a lot but I think that's part of the reason they brought Castillo in.  Coaching can definitely go a long way.

Like you said, the upgrades at TE alone are huge.  Burton and Shaheen were probably the worst duo of TE's in the league last season.  From all accounts Graham and Kmet are looking pretty solid.

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If the OL can get back to 2018 level we saw in Nagy's first year as HC then I think they can be pretty decent and push for a PO spot.  Will require a lot but I think that's part of the reason they brought Castillo in.  Coaching can definitely go a long way.

Like you said, the upgrades at TE alone are huge.  Burton and Shaheen were probably the worst duo of TE's in the league last season.  From all accounts Graham and Kmet are looking pretty solid.

Ifedi would have to play better than we have seen from him and Massie would have to have a career year to reach 2018 levels of OL play.

I expect Leno to bounce back. He has been generally solid, but bad in 2019.

Massie has generally been below average, but was good in 2018. Based on his entire Bears career, 2018 looks like the exception.

Edited by WindyCity

Rumor Mill Alert:

Alvin Kamara is a camp hold out in NOLA.  He's looking for a starters kind of money.  Will NOLA cough it up?

If they opt instead to trade him are the Bears seriously interested?  One media hound suggested three possible trade package.

1) Bears 2021 2nd round pick

2) Tarik Cohen and a 2021 5th round pick

3) 2021 3rd and 5th round picks

Rather than trying to project Fournette as a fit when he's really not any better a fit than Monty how 'bout Kamara should be become available?

18 minutes ago, soulman said:

Rumor Mill Alert:

Alvin Kamara is a camp hold out in NOLA.  He's looking for a starters kind of money.  Will NOLA cough it up?

If they opt instead to trade him are the Bears seriously interested?  One media hound suggested three possible trade package.

1) Bears 2021 2nd round pick

2) Tarik Cohen and a 2021 5th round pick

3) 2021 3rd and 5th round picks

Rather than trying to project Fournette as a fit when he's really not any better a fit than Monty how 'bout Kamara should be become available?

I'd do #2 in a heartbeat

• Like 1