Training Camp News

dll2000

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I thought this was a risky move but it sounds like the rest of the OL actually comes to his defense when Castillo is tearing him a new one. Clever approach!

I love that move, when you "knight" someone like that I've always found more often than not they get bigger instead of cracking.  Just has to be the right kind of person, and hopefully a good enough team behind them not to get the head guy in trouble every day. 

I've been really pessimistic on even getting a game this year, and so help me, am starting to get really excited about seeing some Bears.  My wife came up with a backup plan though, which one of the kids spilled, and it was going to be "in case of no football, wife finds an obscure Bears game from the past on youtube and puts in on TV for me every Sunday" 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

My wife came up with a backup plan though, which one of the kids spilled, and it was going to be "in case of no football, wife finds an obscure Bears game from the past on youtube and puts in on TV for me every Sunday" 

That's amazing, you've got a great wife!

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's amazing, you've got a great wife!

She's always coming up with ideas, and this is one I don't  really have to do any work for so pretty happy with it. 

If we end up missing games I'll just copy the YT link and post on here so anyone that wants to can follow along.  I'm getting a new smoker so am planning on putting meat instructions on here as well. Maybe cocktails. 

With a thread relevant question:  How closely are the Bears matching the plays each QB gets to run?  Do both QBs get the exact same setup and playcall? Wouldn't that make it kind of easy for the D?  I was really hoping one QB or another would run away with this, but I guess Mitch by a nose is better than Foles by a nose, as we get to get one more chance to see if he can be anything. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, WindyCity said:

My optimism has a cap.

I am just glad the Nick Foles propaganda is dying down.

I mean...if you think Mitch is up 4-1 that's an interesting take. (Wasn't you on the Twitter account thought it was)

Not being able to see practice in it's entirety makes you lean on other people seeing it a little more. But everything that I've read is always "X made a few nicer throws here and there". But nobody is separating themselves. Mitch should absolutely be at this point. It's his 3rd year in the system. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

I think day to day matters, but people put too much stock in it.   It isn't going to be like PFF and whoever has the best and most "+" reps gets a better grade and is the winner.

It will be cumulative factors.   Some of which will be subjective.  Especially when evaluating a QB.

They are going to go with guy they have most confidence in.  A lot of guys will have prejudged that and will be hard to move off it.   Some of it may be just a hunch.  Even if he is playing worse than other guy overall.   I honestly don't know who that is of the two.

That is if they are close.   But it's hard not to be close in practice, because practice is a controlled environment.   And one isn't clearly head and shoulders more talented than the other.   Foles is bigger, MT is more athletic.  Foles has better touch, but MT has more zip.    

Not having pre-season football basically made it close to a popularity contest.   I almost feel sorry for whoever "wins" because he is going to feel tremendous pressure to succeed on every play lest he get the hook next game.

The only positive thing is Foles has been through this multiple times and he is super cool about it.  So you won't get attitude problems whichever way it goes as he has set the example for MT and MT is going along with it.  

I have also said from start that neither of these guys has ever played a full season.  Whoever wins is likely to miss several games with injury and the other will get his shot.  Might even have to close the year out.

You might not want to be the winner.   You may be better off being the closer.  

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Good stuff here from Hoge. I love that Jackson is back to roaming centerfield. Miller not getting many looks is worrisome. The positive vibes around Mooney is promising

Apparently they have been super slow to get Miller a bunch of reps because of the shoulder surgery.

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently they have been super slow to get Miller a bunch of reps because of the shoulder surgery.

Coaches are being more careful this year with players than in other years because there is still no guarantee the season will start, which means alot of lost money for those who are on IR, in the event that the season is cancelled.

This is gonna be a weird year. 

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am just going off what beat guys are saying, specially Hoge and Jahns.

I was wrong at the time it was 3-1.

FWIW, I knew what you meant. I listen to them everyday and your original point still stands.

Mitch has been better than Foles by all accounts. But again, we as fans are only judging this by what we're being told by beat reporters and quick 10 minute fluff videos instead of the usual so...

11 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

My wife came up with a backup plan though, which one of the kids spilled, and it was going to be "in case of no football, wife finds an obscure Bears game from the past on youtube and puts in on TV for me every Sunday" 

Hopefully, she can find Forte's first NFL game against Indy when he took off for 50+ yards(?) and not the '08 or '09 game against the Falcons when Lovie's call costs us the game in OT. 

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Not having pre-season football basically made it close to a popularity contest.   I almost feel sorry for whoever "wins" because he is going to feel tremendous pressure to succeed on every play lest he get the hook next game.

The only positive thing is Foles has been through this multiple times and he is super cool about it.  So you won't get attitude problems whichever way it goes as he has set the example for MT and MT is going along with it.  

I have also said from start that neither of these guys has ever played a full season.  Whoever wins is likely to miss several games with injury and the other will get his shot.  Might even have to close the year out.

You might not want to be the winner.   You may be better off being the closer.  

I believe all of these things are true.  Without any preseason games from which to show consistency leading an offense downfield to scoring it's tough to get a read on just who is better than who and Nagy seems to have indicated that multiple times.  Still, the fact that neither has been overwhelmingly good so far should be seen as a concern.

All things being equal I can see Mitch getting the shot at #1 simply because we need to know once and for all what his current ceiling is.  That's what we don't know vs having more than enough history on Foles to know his limitations as a starting QB.  In baseball terms he's always been more of a long term reliever who can handle a start when required than a top guy in your rotation.  He's also proven he can come in off the bench and play productively.

While winning a SB is on every players agenda as it should be the reality is that it can't happen unless one of these guys can play well enough throughout the season and playoffs to make it so.  To me that's the bottom line.  Pace and Nagy have done as much as they've been able to at a personnel and coaching level to give us a shot in 2020 but without consistent QB play that will lead to more successful drives we can't go all the way.  We simply need more scoring.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, soulman said:

I believe all of these things are true.  Without any preseason games from which to show consistency leading an offense downfield to scoring it's tough to get a read on just who is better than who and Nagy seems to have indicated that multiple times.  Still, the fact that neither has been overwhelmingly good so far should be seen as a concern.

All things being equal I can see Mitch getting the shot at #1 simply because we need to know once and for all what his current ceiling is.  That's what we don't know vs having more than enough history on Foles to know his limitations as a starting QB.  In baseball terms he's always been more of a long term reliever who can handle a start when required than a top guy in your rotation.  He's also proven he can come in off the bench and play productively.

While winning a SB is on every players agenda as it should be the reality is that it can't happen unless one of these guys can play well enough throughout the season and playoffs to make it so.  To me that's the bottom line.  Pace and Nagy have done as much as they've been able to at a personnel and coaching level to give us a shot in 2020 but without consistent QB play that will lead to more successful drives we can't go all the way.  We simply need more scoring.

Last year nearly every time they went team, semi-live it turned into just a scramble broken play drill.  At least this year, from what I gather in snippets anyway,  they can at least run their offense in practice.  

That is a huge difference.  No matter what that will make overall QB play somewhat better than last year even if it was Bray starting.

I think the offense was so incredibly bad last year.  I have no idea how they managed to win 8 games.   It felt like a 4 win team and we should have been drafting in top 10 (had we a number 1 pick).