Training Camp News

dll2000

I'm of the opinion everything will function off our run game. If we have success, expect a lot of inside/outside zone with boots/waggles sprinkled in and PA shots taken deep. If Graham/Kmet find early success then we will have defenses on their heels operating out of 12 personnel. If one of Mooney/Ginn prove to be a legitimate deep threat, this makes the offense even more difficult to stop.

So we need a strong run game, health, and one of two speed WRs to produce and this offense *could* be explosive.

37 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm of the opinion everything will function off our run game. If we have success, expect a lot of inside/outside zone with boots/waggles sprinkled in and PA shots taken deep. If Graham/Kmet find early success then we will have defenses on their heels operating out of 12 personnel. If one of Mooney/Ginn prove to be a legitimate deep threat, this makes the offense even more difficult to stop.

So we need a strong run game, health, and one of two speed WRs to produce and this offense *could* be explosive.

The run game kinda sucked as it is and now our RB1 is hurt and will likely not be playing at 100% even if he happens to suit up in week 1 so hard to expect much improvement there.

Only hope we have is that Castillo has these OL men playing a lot better than the last guy did a year ago. Maybe the Ifedi signing will turn out to be a hit.

9 hours ago, G08 said:

"We don't have one of the worst offenses in the NFL or the very worst QBs."

That does not say "we didn't have".

Also, I look forward to endlessly debating semantics with you this season 🙃

But again, how does he know that? All we can do is hope an OLC who was out of football last season gets the OL going and a rookie + hasbeen TE spark the offense. Not exactly promising, although I guess almost anything can be an improvement over 2019.

And yes, agree. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G08 said:

I have less faith than you that Juan Castillo and Germain Ifedi can turn around one of the worst run games in the league last season.

We need

-One of the QBs fo play well (yikes)

-Montgomery to get healthy

-The OL to be better despite 4/5 spots being the same

-A 5th round rookie or a 36 year old speed WR to contribute

-The TEs to continue to build off a strong camp (might be most likely)

That is a lot of things to go right, we know from experience that doesn’t all happen.

We do this every year

”the offense will be good if this, this, this, this, and this happens”

Then less than half of it happens. The offense still sucks.

I have a different idea. How about we add more talent to the offense, stop missing on most of our high offensive picks, get an actual QB, and stop over investing in an already good defense?

Like it or not our OL is what it is because we couldn't do a makeover at OT yet.  Their extensions tied us to both Leno and Massie through at least 2020 and following the trade for Mack we also knew we'd have no shot at a top OT rookie prospect.  So in retrospect extending both at an affordable level was about all that could be done.  I believe we also expected that Kyle Long's injuries were becoming cumulative but hoped we might get at least one more year out of him.....didn't happen.

So we replaced Kyle with a guy whose been a four year starter at RT with the anticipation of playing him at RG.  He's experienced, he came cheap, and he does have previous experience at RG.  If he works out we can resign him and if not we didn't lose much and all we can hope for is another OL steps up and claims that spot. As for OT both Leno and Massie have to get better than they were in 2019.  Neither is capable of more than being average to slightly above average which will work 'til we can find better but what can't be accepted is another below average year. Depth at OT is very raw and inexperienced right now but later on that may change.  Tough to say.

It is what it is at OT primarily due to acquiring Khalil Mack.  That took away two top draft picks which could have been used on the OL and cap space to recruit and sign any top UFA OG or OT.  This season he spent even more money on a pass rusher.  Pace has chosen to build the defense and pass rush ahead of pass protection at OT.  That's the reality of it.   Anyone want a do over?  Raise your hand.

Right now I don't know how much stock we can put in what happens even during padded practices.  Castillo wants them tougher, more physical, and finishing blocks better but how much of that can be accomplished scrimmaging against your own DL.  No one is gonna be happy if someone takes out even one of those guys on the DL by being a little too aggressive in practice. I'll wait 'til the first four games are on the books before I rush to any judgement but even then I don't see anyone behind these five whose likely to come in and improve anything.  The starters have to step up and prove they can do the job.

22 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I am neither pro or anti Pace.  I think he has done some really good and has had his share of head scratching moments.  That being said, his lack of investment in the offensive line is mind-blowing and borderline criminal.

Even more so when you consider that you know your QBs are not good.

His big picture work on offense is incoherent at best.

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The run game kinda sucked as it is and now our RB1 is hurt and will likely not be playing at 100% even if he happens to suit up in week 1 so hard to expect much improvement there.

Only hope we have is that Castillo has these OL men playing a lot better than the last guy did a year ago. Maybe the Ifedi signing will turn out to be a hit.

Scheme and coaching play a huge role in OL play. Some decent feedback thus far on how Castillo is doing and how well James Daniels has looked. I am worried that they won't be as good right now as they will be later on in the season, but it is what it is. Rep the **** out of it.