Cardinals CB Robert Alford tears pec; out for season

RaidersAreOne

On 7/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, HoboRocket said:

I've seen every play in Murphy's NFL career so far. Byron Murphy definitely struggled last year as the team's number 1 corner for nearly half of the season (Patrick Peterson was suspended for the first six weeks and Robert Alford missed the season due to injury), but, to be fair, it was trial by fire. He lined up against Kenny Golladay (huge physical mismatch), DK Metcalf (same), Julio Jones (also same), Tyler Boyd, Hollywood Brown, Tyler Lockett, Calvin Ridley, and DJ Moore in his first 6 weeks. Surprisingly, he was able to pretty much shut down Golladay in week 1, Metcalf in week 2, and Moore in week 3 (though he allowed a single reception to Moore which resulted in a 50+ yard TD). He was wrecked by Julio and Boyd.  He struggled against Hollywood Brown. He played well against Lockett. So, in total, Murphy played really well against four top-flight wideouts (Moore, Lockett, Metcalf, and Golladay) in three of the games where he lined up as the Cards' top corner, but was absolutely ABUSED in the other three. There doesn't seem to be a body-type correlation, as I would have expected, as Julio is really the only big WR that gave him trouble. Short-area quickness is also supposedly his strength, but he was simply beaten by Hollywood on a bunch of short passes. I liked that Murphy didn't seem to struggle very much in the deep game, even thriving against some WRs that are known for being deep threats, which was my biggest concern with him coming out of school. He also played admirably against some big guys and erased my fears of getting wrecked in mismatches. However, he was very inconsistent on the year. He DID give reason for optimism going forward, but to call him a good corner in the NFL at this point would be a stretch, as he shut down some guys, but also had some embarrassing plays mixed in there.

Well, I guess we'll see how much Byron Murphy progressed!