Way Too Early 2021 Draft Wish List

xrade

I am bored.  I thought it might get our Jet juices flowing thinking about the 2021 draft.  This is not a mock draft, but rather, players whom I think the Jets will target or should target in the 2021 draft.  I am assuming we will be picking top 10.  If by chance we pick have the first 2 picks, I can see us trading down a few spots for a boatload of draft capital.

1.  Penei Sewell (OT) - he will most likely be long gone by the time we pick, but it is nice to dream of Sewell at LT and Becton at RT for the next 10 years.  I do not think that his not playing this year will have an impact on his high draft status.

2.  JaMarr Chase (WR) - again will probably be long gone, but him and Mims on the outside would be awesome.

3.  Gregory Rousseau (EDGE) - again probably long gone but he is the edge we have been looking for since I was crapping my pants.

4.  DeVonta Smith (WR) - now we are getting into the realm of possibility, like Chase, someone to pair with Mims.

5.  Shaun Wade (CB) - I think he will there for us, but I am concerned that he will not be able to showcase outside duties.  He played in the slot last season and since OSU is not playing this year, he will not be able to play on the outside which I believe was OSU's plan.  The size, speed and talent is there, but it may be risky.

6.  Patrick Surtain II (CB) - at least he may play this this year.  He has what it takes to be an outside CB in the NFL.  I just have a bad taste about Alabama CB's, we were burned once.

7. Micah Parsons - I know, I know an ILB?  He is a special FB player which we need.  He may not fill a need like other positions, but he can more than make up for the loss of Adams.  I also think ILB may be a position of need for us next year.  Williamson may never play at his high level again and who knows about Mosley.  Even if one of them does play next year, an ILB pairing of one of the and Parsons will certainly pay dividends.

Unless we see some college FB this year, this would be my list as of right now.  You will notice I do not have Waddle on the list only because I am not that high on him as a top 10 pick.

Im looking at positions we probably need regardless. We need WRs regardless. But I don’t think we use our 1st for one. Maybe SEA or our 2nd on one. So that tier 2 of WRs are who I’m looking at. Edge is the main thing I’m looking at for our 1st. Very doubtful Jenkins and Zuniga are the answer. So we will still need a guy. Our potential at CB is high. So not sure we use a high pick on a CB. OL is still a need. Fant more than likely isn’t an answer and we will look to draft a guy. When it’s all said and done I think our 1st 3 picks in some sort of order are OT, Edge, WR.

It’s going to be interesting to see how guys develop. Fant, Perriman, Austin, Hall, Jenkins, and Zuniga will factor in when deciding what’s needed. If those guys develop and show to be solid starters, it changes are first round needs.

As of now, I’m thinking WR, OT, CB and Edge. In no particular order. Although I don’t like how much edge players get paid nowadays. So, I’d rather us focus on having great coverage and mid level edge rushers.

Sewell and  DeVonta Smith are my two favorite prospects at the moment. I haven’t seen many guys though. 

Edited by SDotNova

Agree about WR.  Look at Pitt, they have talented WR's every year because they are able to find 2nd and 3rd round WR's that they seem to pick every year.  Hell, AB was a 6th rd. pick.  This allows them great flexibility when drafting in rd. 1.  They have only ever given out a second WR contracts to AB and Hines.  Amazing.

Unfortunately, EDGE is a lot harder to find.  But the way to build a sustainable winning franchise is to have young replacements that you are able to develop to replace the high priced players leaving via FA.

15 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I want Rousseau so bad

He would be a good get, but I may be a little concerned about only playing one full season.  Granted, it was productive, but a second good season will really put him in line to be a top five pick.  It will be a lot dicier if he does not play this season.

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Im looking at positions we probably need regardless. We need WRs regardless. But I don’t think we use our 1st for one. Maybe SEA or our 2nd on one. So that tier 2 of WRs are who I’m looking at. Edge is the main thing I’m looking at for our 1st. Very doubtful Jenkins and Zuniga are the answer. So we will still need a guy. Our potential at CB is high. So not sure we use a high pick on a CB. OL is still a need. Fant more than likely isn’t an answer and we will look to draft a guy. When it’s all said and done I think our 1st 3 picks in some sort of order are OT, Edge, WR.

I agree with this.  I like the Sea or early 2nd to grab a WR as well. 

Our early 1st is interesting.  Gut says maybe a OT or Edge will be the pick.  Not sure what other direction we'd go early.  Maybe CB because it seems like JD loves to have CB depth but I think we have some talent there. 

I haven't looked close enough yet but WR looks like a big need as does possibly RT and OG and Edge.  After that you look around and we really don't have any glaring needs unless none of the CBs step up.

DL is stout, ILB will be fine with Mosley back, S is set once we resign Maye, QB is a stud and yes I firmly believe that.

RB is a need because I think we will move on from Bell despite being a great locker room guy but that is a mid round replacement not in the 1st or 2nd.

It's kind of nice not having 7 positions listed with glaring holes going into a season.

Edited by Rockice_8

On 8/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, Heymangold said:

again, everyone here wants an EDGE guy but a guy like Yannick Ngakoue, who's had more sacks then all our "edge" guys careers combined is available but we don't want him.

You're really missing the point on why people don't want Yannick.  It's not that they don't want to add a talented pass rusher it's everything that is needed to do it.

First off his a headache.  Do we really want to deal with another disgruntled player?  Next JAC wants a 2nd for him, do we want to give up what could be a high draft pick for him?  Is he worth a 2 of course but there is more to the story, his contract.  We can't even resign him this year which means come next offseason he could say yeah I've been losing in JAC you guys just won 6 games and I want to go to a contender peace.  Now we just lost cap space carry over and a valuable pick for a 1 year rental.  

The other scenario is we resign him.  He wants 20M.  He's a good pass rusher no question but 20 is reserved for superstars which he is not.  

That is why most don't want him particularly and would rather just draft one so we have them on the cheap under team control.

53 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You're really missing the point on why people don't want Yannick.  It's not that they don't want to add a talented pass rusher it's everything that is needed to do it.

First off his a headache.  Do we really want to deal with another disgruntled player?  Next JAC wants a 2nd for him, do we want to give up what could be a high draft pick for him?  Is he worth a 2 of course but there is more to the story, his contract.  We can't even resign him this year which means come next offseason he could say yeah I've been losing in JAC you guys just won 6 games and I want to go to a contender peace.  Now we just lost cap space carry over and a valuable pick for a 1 year rental.  

The other scenario is we resign him.  He wants 20M.  He's a good pass rusher no question but 20 is reserved for superstars which he is not.  

That is why most don't want him particularly and would rather just draft one so we have them on the cheap under team control.

I see both sides. The draft is very hit or miss. Especially with 1/2 the players not even playing this year. So while it “sounds good” to just draft one. That’s easier said than done. So why not trade a 2nd for a proven talent. Odds are the 2nd won’t be even close to as good as Yannik. Next is his salary. We have cap. So that isn’t an issue. It’s also at a premium position where JD I don’t think minds paying a guy. Next is Yannik. He’s don’t what he’s done with decent talent around him. But our healthy other 6 in our front 7 are very talented. His production should only be better. Lastly regarding his “attitude” ... as I’ve stated I’ve always been pro any player under a tag wanting and actual contract, so I agree with Yannik. Where I don’t agree is calling out the owner. Let’s also remember this isn’t close to Adams where it repeatedly nearly weekly him making requests. I say make the move. 

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I see both sides. The draft is very hit or miss. Especially with 1/2 the players not even playing this year. So while it “sounds good” to just draft one. That’s easier said than done. So why not trade a 2nd for a proven talent. Odds are the 2nd won’t be even close to as good as Yannik. Next is his salary. We have cap. So that isn’t an issue. It’s also at a premium position where JD I don’t think minds paying a guy. Next is Yannik. He’s don’t what he’s done with decent talent around him. But our healthy other 6 in our front 7 are very talented. His production should only be better. Lastly regarding his “attitude” ... as I’ve stated I’ve always been pro any player under a tag wanting and actual contract, so I agree with Yannik. Where I don’t agree is calling out the owner. Let’s also remember this isn’t close to Adams where it repeatedly nearly weekly him making requests. I say make the move. 

So why not just try and sign him next year then and not give up the pick?  If we trade for him and he walks it would the most Jets move ever.  We are in no position to risk that.  Just sign Clowney or wait until next year for Yannick.  We aren't contending this year so we can wait one more season.

I'm pro guys wanting security too but not the way Adams and Yannick are doing it.

When all pros like Adams and Mack hit the market you look into it not when just good players do.  Smart teams never give up assets and overpay guys it's poor roster management.  

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

So why not just try and sign him next year then and not give up the pick?  If we trade for him and he walks it would the most Jets move ever.  We are in no position to risk that.  Just sign Clowney or wait until next year for Yannick.  We aren't contending this year so we can wait one more season.

I'm pro guys wanting security too but not the way Adams and Yannick are doing it.

When all pros like Adams and Mack hit the market you look into it not when just good players do.  Smart teams never give up assets and overpay guys it's poor roster management.  

That certainly is a risk. But the odds of signing him after already being here, making friends and liking Williams' defense is IMO A LOT better than not being here and an UFA.

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That certainly is a risk. But the odds of signing him after already being here, making friends and liking Williams' defense is IMO A LOT better than not being here and an UFA.

And what, if like JA, he want to be on a contender which the Jets are not?  The Colts have a lot of cap next year as do the Patriots and Ravens.  They are a bit closer to contending than us and may outbid us.  Next question, why has no other team swooped in a traded for this "great" player?