Way Too Early 2021 Draft Wish List

xrade

Don't trade up for Lawrence. We need all the talent we can get. If we are at #1 we take him, but trading up is not worth it. There are top tier QBs coming out every year, and as @JohnnyHectorFan said, it more about the situation than the QB. We need so many pieces this offseason that we are better of using all our picks than selling the house to put Trevor into a less than ideal situation. We still need guards, we need receivers, we will need a RB (Bell will force his way out), we need an Edge, we need LBs, and we need a competent coaching staff. Trevor won't be able to mask all those deficiencies. Rather do what the Ravens did and build a better team then bring in a talented QB once that's done.

16 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Don't trade up for Lawrence. We need all the talent we can get. If we are at #1 we take him, but trading up is not worth it. There are top tier QBs coming out every year, and as @JohnnyHectorFan said, it more about the situation than the QB. We need so many pieces this offseason that we are better of using all our picks than selling the house to put Trevor into a less than ideal situation. We still need guards, we need receivers, we will need a RB (Bell will force his way out), we need an Edge, we need LBs, and we need a competent coaching staff. Trevor won't be able to mask all those deficiencies. Rather do what the Ravens did and build a better team then bring in a talented QB once that's done.

Teams with good situations don't land the number 1 overall pick though.  If we have a shot at Lawrence or Fields you take them and use the rest of the assets to put them in a good position.  Nobody will care if we are losing games 34-30.

Bell isn't forcing his way out he's getting cut or traded.

Hypothetical situation.  We draft a QB and trade Sam for a late 2.  We have enough money to splurge on a WR in FA like Robinson and with the SEA pick and our high 2 we should be able to land a day 1 OG and WR and bring back Perriman cheap.  Now you got ARob, Mims, Crowder with great depth in Perriman and whoever we draft.  Add a RB in early round 3 to Perine and now you got nice TE and WR units, RBs look solid, OL is improved and your QB is able to be successful day 1.

That still leaves the 2nd we got for Sam and the Sea 3 to add to the defense.

We are in a great position to improve.  We really have to make sure who the QB is though and if there is any doubt come the end of the year and there are talents like Lawrence and Fields you can't hesitate.  Ari didn't and paired their QB with an innovative HC.  They will be contenders before you know because they weren't scared to pull the trigger and JD shouldn't either.

There is no excuse to go into next year without real offensive weapons and an even better OL no matter who is under center.  If JD doesn't put all his energy into the offense next year it will be a major disappointment.

23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Teams with good situations don't land the number 1 overall pick though.  If we have a shot at Lawrence or Fields you take them and use the rest of the assets to put them in a good position.  Nobody will care if we are losing games 34-30.

Yeah - I agree.

52 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Don't trade up for Lawrence. We need all the talent we can get. If we are at #1 we take him, but trading up is not worth it. 

My point wasn't don't take Lawrence. My point was don't trade all our good picks for him and end up with no way to support him.

31 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah - I agree.

My point wasn't don't take Lawrence. My point was don't trade all our good picks for him and end up with no way to support him.

Agree.  Trade up is not a good idea because you know its gonna be a massive haul.  I thought you wanted to pass on him in order to have a better situation first.  My mistake.

I actually like Fields too.  Reminds me of Dak with a little more accuracy at this point.  

I hate to give up on Sam and he may end up being a good QB but it might not be here.  It'll probably be elsewhere.

People are so focused on QB, its hilarious. If you really believe any QB would come to this Jets team and succeed, you are mistaken. Mahomes would be a bust here. 

We need to focus on building a better team, we have holes everywhere.  It looks like we hit on Becton which is GREAT. We need to fix the rest of the offense to allow a QB to succeed. Look at Josh Allen, he was put in a great situation. The team improved around him and now he is looking good as he has 3 good WRs and a good Ol, good run game.  

Its amazing that Jets fans put the blame on a QB who has Hogan and Berrios as starting WRs. Who has Gase as a HC who has been terrible in this league.  If Darnold was placed onto a better organization he'd be a elite QB, no doubt in my mind.   Its unbelievable that people expect big passing numbers with turds at WR.  Only hope is Crowder and Mims get healthy, so at least it wouldn't be as pathetic. But week 3 we are down to Berrios and Malone at WR and people are gonna expect Darnold to succeed lol

2 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

People are so focused on QB, its hilarious. If you really believe any QB would come to this Jets team and succeed, you are mistaken. Mahomes would be a bust here. 

We need to focus on building a better team, we have holes everywhere.  It looks like we hit on Becton which is GREAT. We need to fix the rest of the offense to allow a QB to succeed. Look at Josh Allen, he was put in a great situation. The team improved around him and now he is looking good as he has 3 good WRs and a good Ol, good run game.  

Its amazing that Jets fans put the blame on a QB who has Hogan and Berrios as starting WRs. Who has Gase as a HC who has been terrible in this league.  If Darnold was placed onto a better organization he'd be a elite QB, no doubt in my mind.   Its unbelievable that people expect big passing numbers with turds at WR.  Only hope is Crowder and Mims get healthy, so at least it wouldn't be as pathetic. But week 3 we are down to Berrios and Malone at WR and people are gonna expect Darnold to succeed lol

No one is blaming Darnold - most of us put this on the weapons and Gase, like you. But do you pass up on Lawrence and draft more pieces to see what you have in Darnold? I don't think you do considering Lawrence is the best "can't miss" prospect since Andrew Luck. Darnold may well be an elite talent, but if are picking #1 overall than he's going to prove it on a different team.

If we are drafting 1 or 2 my guess it would be clear that Darnold isn't what we thought. So I'd say draft Lawrence or Fields. If we aren't drafting 1 or 2 or Darnold looks good (but we still are losing games) then I want Chase. I'm over adding defense. I'd say Sewell at OT as well. But Becton looks great and Fant has looked good too. So WR it is. And Chase is worth a top 10 pick.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Here is my belief.  Sam may very well be shot because of poor drafting and gase.  Then again he may not be.  He is still making rookie mistakes (back foot throws, dumb decisions at times).  A good coach should have worked that our him by now but Sam has not really gotten any better because of poor OL, WR, gase. 

The real question is, assuming he does not improve much this season, do we start over with a fresh young QB like Lawrence (a great prospect if you listen to all the FB pundits) or HOPE Sam is the guy and try to build around him?  I would prefer to build around Sam.  Think about it, if we are picking 1 or 2, we can trade down a few spots for a good haul.  We would have plenty of high draft picks to turn this thing around faster than expected.  Lets also not forget the cap next year and the money we will have to spend on some quality FA.  Now if we were to keep our high pick next year and get Lawrence because JD thinks Sam is done or the new HC (hopefully) wants his own young QB, the rebuild may take only a year longer.

These next 14 games will tell, at least to JD, whether Sam can be salvaged.  Sam may very well need a change of scenery and a chance to sit for a bit to collect himself.  I have not completely given up on Sam, but it is getting real close to giving up on Sam playing for the Jets, through little fault of his own.  Sad.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Here is my belief.  Sam may very well be shot because of poor drafting and gase.  Then again he may not be.  He is still making rookie mistakes (back foot throws, dumb decisions at times).  A good coach should have worked that our him by now but Sam has not really gotten any better because of poor OL, WR, gase. 

The real question is, assuming he does not improve much this season, do we start over with a fresh young QB like Lawrence (a great prospect if you listen to all the FB pundits) or HOPE Sam is the guy and try to build around him?  I would prefer to build around Sam.  Think about it, if we are picking 1 or 2, we can trade down a few spots for a good haul.  We would have plenty of high draft picks to turn this thing around faster than expected.  Lets also not forget the cap next year and the money we will have to spend on some quality FA.  Now if we were to keep our high pick next year and get Lawrence because JD thinks Sam is done or the new HC (hopefully) wants his own young QB, the rebuild may take only a year longer.

These next 14 games will tell, at least to JD, whether Sam can be salvaged.  Sam may very well need a change of scenery and a chance to sit for a bit to collect himself.  I have not completely given up on Sam, but it is getting real close to giving up on Sam playing for the Jets, through little fault of his own.  Sad.

JD would be tying himself to Sam if he did that.  It would be a bold strategy to back Sam and trade that pick even for a king's ransom.  It's going to be hard to justify dumping everything into Darnold if we end up with the number overall pick.

It could pay off big though so it is an option.  With all of draft capital already trading down from 1 would be a haul and we'd be loaded.

Certainly worth considering for sure.

32 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I really want Trey Smith OG from Tennessee... think he could be the finishing touch in the OL wit Clark taking the other spot next year. Either him and Jamar or him and TLaw/Fields depending on the situation and I’m happy

He would be a nice get. But to pick in rd 1 would be poor use of our assets. JD wanted Thuney last year. Whether we get him or not is another story, but I think OG will be handled in FA. 

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I really want Trey Smith OG from Tennessee... think he could be the finishing touch in the OL wit Clark taking the other spot next year. Either him and Jamar or him and TLaw/Fields depending on the situation and I’m happy

Agreed.  Him or Davis with the SEA pick would be a good get unless we land Thuney.

We'd have a real nice young OL if we drafted Davis or Smith and Clark took the other OG spot from Lewis.  AlthoughLewis has been pretty decent. 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, Bobby816 said:

If we are drafting 1 or 2 my guess it would be clear that Darnold isn't what we thought. So I'd say draft Lawrence or Fields. If we aren't drafting 1 or 2 or Darnold looks good (but we still are losing games) then I want Chase. I'm over adding defense. I'd say Sewell at OT as well. But Becton looks great and Fant has looked good too. So WR it is. And Chase is worth a top 10 pick.

That is the first time anybody has mention Fields, I have never seen him play but what people are saying, this kid  is something special. I have to watch him the next time ND pays a good team. You can't tell anything when ND plays some of those cup cakes on their schedule. But he will be on my have to watch list. What a  set back it would be for the Jets if we find our Darnold is not our franchise QB,