Training Camp Battles

Deadpulse

The Patriots’ pass rush was ferocious on Monday, with three players in particular standing out: outside linebackers Chase Winovich, Josh Uche and Derek Rivers. Winovich registered a sack on a 3rd-and-goal play and later forced a fumble — both versus Cam Newton. Uche appears to be progressing nicely by not just registering a pair of sacks but also looking much more comfortable going through his reads when used off the ball. Rivers, meanwhile, was back on the field for a second straight day and generating some solid pressure around the edge. Winovich and Uche are of course locks to make the roster, but Rivers could very well join them if he can consistently play like he did today and also stay healthy.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The Patriots’ pass rush was ferocious on Monday, with three players in particular standing out: outside linebackers Chase Winovich, Josh Uche and Derek Rivers. Winovich registered a sack on a 3rd-and-goal play and later forced a fumble — both versus Cam Newton. Uche appears to be progressing nicely by not just registering a pair of sacks but also looking much more comfortable going through his reads when used off the ball. Rivers, meanwhile, was back on the field for a second straight day and generating some solid pressure around the edge. Winovich and Uche are of course locks to make the roster, but Rivers could very well join them if he can consistently play like he did today and also stay healthy.

Chase seems to be inheriting the Jamie Collins role

So Rivers appears to have woken up for the first time in his career at Patriots training camp practices, from what I remember.

The RT's struggling isn't surprising but it is disappointing given there was some positive development apparently prior to today.

Glad that Myles Bryant has been consistent at least. UDFA defensive back from Washington.

27 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Reiss compared Uche to Collins yesterday in terms of speed and blitzing.

Maybe Win will be more like Nink, but they are similar in terms of responsibility. I dont remember Uche out in zone much in the tape I have seen, but I could have just drove right past it looking at his pass rush tape. 

49 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Maybe Win will be more like Nink, but they are similar in terms of responsibility. I dont remember Uche out in zone much in the tape I have seen, but I could have just drove right past it looking at his pass rush tape. 

There's enough out there with him playing in space and spying the QB, most of these being the typical athletic mobile type who typically don't amount to anything past CFB. But it shows he can move and play up to par in terms of his game speed. Still, I'm a little concerned he never distinguished himself along with a full-time role, given how Michigan usually produces players at his position in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

There's enough out there with him playing in space and spying the QB, most of these being the typical athletic mobile type who typically don't amount to anything past CFB. But it shows he can move and play up to par in terms of his game speed. Still, I'm a little concerned he never distinguished himself along with a full-time role, given how Michigan usually produces players at his position in the NFL. 

I think I know what you a referring to, but most of what I have seen has been him playing off the ball to react to a run attempt and stuff the whole. 

• Like 1

I liked Brooks when he was on the Jets but there were only a couple of times that I saw promise from him on the Patriots last season. Glad to see he is learning the best traits from the better defensive backs on the team this go-around. I get mimicking Chung for his role, which I like his role, but Chung struggles to cover anyone which is the same problem Brooks ended up having as the season went on in 2019.