Training Camp Battles

Deadpulse

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Hopefully he is fine, I am expecting a lot from this kid.

Cassh Maluia returned to practice where he has built up a bit of momentum between special teams and D. Good to see.

Other positives:

Gunner Olszewski

Jermaine Eluemunor

JJ Taylor (aside from being overmatched physically in blitz pickup)

Down:

Jakobi Meyers

Korey Cunningham

Justin Herron

I predict........

That one of Meyers or Sanu is getting cut. 

Sanu is expensive for 3rd or 4th receiver, and Meyers has faaaaaded this camp.

Trust me, i wish it wasn't the case. I WANT both to tear it up.

Edited by Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This sound like anyone to you? Any other smallish, white, fearless as F receivers who go into no-mans land and come up laughing?

I like Gunner. Wouldn't be surprised to see his career arc in similar fashion to Edelman. The dude showed the confidence and toughness you hardly ever see from WRs that come through this system last year, and he definitely earned his place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nex_Gen said:

I like Gunner. Wouldn't be surprised to see his career arc in similar fashion to Edelman. The dude showed the confidence and toughness you hardly ever see from WRs that come through this system last year, and he definitely earned his place.

He reminds me more of Danny on the field, but your point still stands about his career trajectory. 

From Pats Pulpit.

7 winners and 4 losers from Yesterday's Practice

WINNER - Terrence Brooks 

Say Terrence, what did the Spanish priest say to the Iranian gynaecologist? .....It was that Brooks intercepted a pass from quarterback Cam Newton, and later also registered a pass breakup on a throw intended for running back James White

WINNERS - Rexy time and Bull Harris

Harris continues to have a terrific camp and also appears to be unfazed by fellow early-down back Sony Michel being activated off the physically unable to perform list on Wednesday: he had the biggest offensive play of the day when he ran for a 65-yard touchdown on the opening play of 11-on-11s. Burkhead, meanwhile, continues to show his all-around skillset by leading the team with six receptions today and also looking good as a pass protector.

WINNER - D-WIse

On Thursday, the fourth-year man registered a pair of sacks and also was responsible for the batted pass intended for N’Keal Harry. Wise Jr. is entering a contract season, and based on his last two weeks of practice is trying to make it his best campaign to date.

WINNERS - CBs Williams and Ross and Gilmore

Williams beat N’Keal Harry during 1-on-1 work and later also was able to break up a potential touchdown pass intended for Rex Burkhead. It was a step in the right direction. Much like Joejuan Williams, D’Angelo Ross also had a relatively uneventful training camp so far.  On Thursday, however, he was among the most active members of a secondary that had another impressive day in coverage: Ross not only broke up N’Keal Harry despite his height disadvantage, he also prevented a potential deep touchdown pass to Damiere Byrd by sticking with the speedster in man coverage.

Gilmore made shutting down Edelman and Mohamed Sanu in 1-on-1s look easy while breaking up both passes thrown his way

LOSER - Harry...

On Thursday, he was targeted four times during team drills — twice by Cam Newton, twice by Jarrett Stidham — but failed to make a single reception. While one of the incompletions was batted at the line and another was a low-percentage pass, the 6-foot-2 receiver also failed to box out 5-foot-8 D’Angelo Ross for a catch and showed a lack of spatial awareness when he stepped out of bounds before what would otherwise have been a touchdown reception. Harry also lost against Joejuan Williams during 1-on-1s.

LOSERS - The QBs

For the second day in a row, the Patriots’ quarterback position did not convince: Cam Newton completed just 13 of 28 combined attempts during team drills while also throwing an interception; Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer both went 6-of-13. Statistics aside, the three passers also had some errant throws and failed to get into a consistent rhythm yet again versus New England’s defense. While practice is a means to an end, the early-week momentum especially displayed by Newton was not sustained.

Not really bothered about the losers yet, because our secondary is crazy good.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, DoleINGout said:

JJ Taylor one of my favorite UDFA. The UDFA class is as good as the actual draft class and better in terms of value. Should just trade all of their picks for established veterans or trade up to the top of the first every year instead.

Ok  This is just me frustrated again on BB priority's when taking a player. IMO he sometimes over thinks and doesn't look at the most important skill for the position.

Nick Folk is better than Justin Rohrwasser.

JR has a big frame and a powerful leg and has a history kicking in cold weather. One major problem he can't make a FG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JR was not even listed as one of the best kickers in the country. Many had Tyler Bass as number one. Who I was hoping the Pats would take. This kid was automatic in college.  Just read he replaced the veteran kicker for the Bills.  Damn Damn Damn !!!!!!😬

https://nflmocks.com/2020/08/27/buffalo-bills-rookie-tyler-bass-job/

Don't like to say it, but Harry is looking to be Chad Jackson to Metcalf's Greg Jennings.

It's going to be weird watching the Patriots have sub-par QB play. Think it's really going to bring home how spoiled we've been. That said, the NE secondary is probably a top 3 unit in the league, so maybe they'll perform better against weaker teams.

EDIT: Also Buffalo released Hauschka today, if the kickers are performing badly he'd be someone to look at. 

Edited by ChazStandard