Butt or Beck?

jsthomp2007

I think of the TEs one of these two will go.  I think Butt makes it if the Broncos want to leverage more talent.  I think Beck makes it if the Broncos want to leverage better historical health.  If Butt can make it, and stay healthy, then I think Vannett is gone next year.  Butt, Albert O, and Fant makes a nice trio of TEs. 

• Like 1

I say keep Butt on the practice squad and Beck stays as FB/TE, I like utility guys who can line up in different spots and play special teams. I know he’s been featured a decent amount in this camp, but what does Jake Butt bring to a team after years off the field? Can he block? Can he play special teams? Does he look like a mismatch in the passing game? He’s played in 3 games. Rooting for him but that room is crowded and you have to find ways to make everyone on your active roster useful on game day. 

Front office did a nice job adding talent to the room year after year so that they now have this “problem” of too many guys. A few years ago our tight end room was laughable. You can really see the overall positive trajectory in things like that. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

I like BroncoBruin's argument that Beck can play multiple positions.  Every team wants more receiving TEs, where we have a few of them now, which makes me think that Butt could make for good trade bait. 

Who the hell is trading for a guy who hasnt played in 2 years? He is going to either get released or make the 53.

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who the hell is trading for a guy who hasn't played in 2 years? He is going to either get released or make the 53.

The other part is that this is his last year under contract.    There's no future gain for any team acquiring him.   Plus TE is the hardest position to learn in a new O on O, given the multiple option routes / block vs. release (for extra protection) / hot reads that TE's have to make, why TE takes longer than the other O skill positions for players to make an impact.

It's a great story to see Butt on the field and competing - but the most likely scenario is a release.   Even a PS stash seems like it's not going to be a major priority.  

It's not flashy, but blocking TE's who have hybrid abilities and who have another year of cheap control at least addresses an area we have little depth in.   With Fant and Albert O, it's hard to see Butt carving out a lot of time barring injury there.  It only takes Fumigali to go down (and he's frankly unproven, but a roster lock given how cheap and cost-controlled he is) for Beck to assume that role.  Seems like if we're keeping 4 TE's on the roster, Butt's the odd man out.

Edited by Broncofan

• 3 weeks later...

I know everyone is rooting for Jake, but my film notes from his 3 games in 2018 show how impressed I was with his game.

He's an upper echelon blocking TE that was showing signs of being a genuine threat in the passing game, so if he can get himself on the field for our 2 TE sets with Noah Fant, I really think he can contribute for this team.

He's going to have to play Special Teams as a backup TE, though, so there are obvious injury concerns there. 

Can't wait to see him on film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I know everyone is rooting for Jake, but my film notes from his 3 games in 2018 show how impressed I was with his game.

He's an upper echelon blocking TE that was showing signs of being a genuine threat in the passing game, so if he can get himself on the field for our 2 TE sets with Noah Fant, I really think he can contribute for this team.

He's going to have to play Special Teams as a backup TE, though, so there are obvious injury concerns there. 

Can't wait to see him on film.

I worry that they might make him inactive on gameday. Looking at the other tight ends:

- Fant is the starter

- Vannett got a decent contract to be the #2 TE, mainly blocking and a bit of receiving

- Beck will be the H-Back

- Okwuegbunam will play a lot of red zone snaps given his chemistry with Lock.

That makes it difficult for Butt to crack the game day roster IMO. You can dress 48 players this year (8 must be OL), so only need 5 inactives:

1. One of the WRs will he scratched. I actually think it might well be Dae’Sean Hamilton once Hamler return given that Spencer and Cleveland should be key special teamers.

2. Either Anderson or Muti

3. Probably one of the corners. Ojemudia at first with his injury and then Bassey/Harris after that.

4. Surely one of the LBs as they won’t dress 9 on game day. So whichever one of Jones or Calitro is less important on special teams.

The final spot surely has to be a TE. The only way I can see Jake Butt making the game day 48 is if he beats Vannett out for the #2 TE role, but given Vannett’s contract I have a hard time seeing why he would even make the team if he wasn’t at least the 2nd TE so I think Butt might be a healthy scratch on Monday. 

7 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I worry that they might make him inactive on gameday. Looking at the other tight ends:

- Fant is the starter

- Vannett got a decent contract to be the #2 TE, mainly blocking and a bit of receiving

- Beck will be the H-Back

- Okwuegbunam will play a lot of red zone snaps given his chemistry with Lock.

That makes it difficult for Butt to crack the game day roster IMO. You can dress 48 players this year (8 must be OL), so only need 5 inactives:

1. One of the WRs will he scratched. I actually think it might well be Dae’Sean Hamilton once Hamler return given that Spencer and Cleveland should be key special teamers.

2. Either Anderson or Muti

3. Probably one of the corners. Ojemudia at first with his injury and then Bassey/Harris after that.

4. Surely one of the LBs as they won’t dress 9 on game day. So whichever one of Jones or Calitro is less important on special teams.

The final spot surely has to be a TE. The only way I can see Jake Butt making the game day 48 is if he beats Vannett out for the #2 TE role, but given Vannett’s contract I have a hard time seeing why he would even make the team if he wasn’t at least the 2nd TE so I think Butt might be a healthy scratch on Monday. 

You could be right, but money won't play a factor with Vannett. When we signed him, we couldn't rely on Jake being healthy. Besides, TEs are usually good on ST so you carry 3 on gameday.

Right now, the rookie TE will be on the outside looking in on gameday for sure.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You could be right, but money won't play a factor with Vannett. When we signed him, we couldn't rely on Jake being healthy. Besides, TEs are usually good on ST so you carry 3 on gameday.

Right now, the rookie TE will be on the outside looking in on gameday for sure.

You think Albert O will be inactive? I’ve heard that in camp, Lock loves throwing to him in the red zone. He’s a terrible blocker so we shouldn’t really be using him between the 20’s, but I don’t see us making him inactive especially when you have Butt and Vannett who are basically two very similar players.