Alcohol Thread!

Glen

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

It is always dangerous when I walk into a liquor store. I always end up walking out with 4-5 different packs of beer. Today:

Enki Cream Ale

Clown Shoes Double IPA

Bent Paddle Red Ale

Brewing Projekt Hybrid Ale

Don't go to Elevated, they just had their cellar sale, and I had won some money on a Super Bowl bet, but spent $120 getting cellared beers, 5 different types, as well as a nice bottle of scotch.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, MrDrew said:

Aviation is a great drink. Find a place that can make you one if you’ve never tried it. 

I tried it at the airport a couple weeks ago and liked it, I'm sure someone else can make a much better one though. Was just on a cruise and was hoping they'd be able to make one but unfortunately they didn't have the right ingredients for it. 

On the cruise, I decided Negroni's are one of my favorite drinks, and also loved the few drinks I had with St. Germaine in them. Will definitely experiment with it some. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I tried it at the airport a couple weeks ago and liked it, I'm sure someone else can make a much better one though. Was just on a cruise and was hoping they'd be able to make one but unfortunately they didn't have the right ingredients for it. 

On the cruise, I decided Negroni's are one of my favorite drinks, and also loved the few drinks I had with St. Germaine in them. Will definitely experiment with it some. 

It's rare for a party bar to have Creme de Violette and/or Maraschino liqueur, which are the 2 things you'll need for an Aviation. It's usually something you'll have to find a t a cocktail bar. 

A Negroni is a really good drink when done right. The place I hang out at did a Negroni weekend last year, and they had about 10 different versions of it. It was a good time trying to get through the menu.

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The Last Word is very similar to an Aviation. Basically swap Creme de Violette for Green Chartreuse and lime for lemon. My favorite cocktail. 

Last Word is equal parts, where the Aviation is a lot stronger with the gin. It doesn't have the simple syrup either. It's also a really expensive drink when you factor in the Chartreuse price. I love them though. If the local distillery didn't make an herbal liqueur that was a really good substitute, even if it's not quite as good, I'd never get to drink them.

Here's the recipe for both if you have a nice liquor cabinet.

Aviation:

1.5oz Gin

.75oz Lemon Juice

.5oz Creme de Violette

.5oz Simple Syrup

.25oz Maraschino Liqueur (Use Luxardo)

Shake and strain

Last Word:

1oz Gin

1oz Green Chartreuse

1oz Maraschino Liqueur

1oz Lime Juice

Shake and strain

There's also a couple plays on the Last Word. 

Last Ward - Sub Rye for the Gin, and Lemon for Lime.

Closing Argument - Sub Gin for Mezcal, and chose between Lime and Lemon. Most people seem to like lemon better. 

31 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The Last Word is very similar to an Aviation. Basically swap Creme de Violette for Green Chartreuse and lime for lemon. My favorite cocktail. 

I'm coming to your house and you're making both for me.

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

A Negroni is a really good drink when done right. The place I hang out at did a Negroni weekend last year, and they had about 10 different versions of it. It was a good time trying to get through the menu.

I went to multiple bartenders before I found a bartender I could trust with it. I never disliked it but found some made it better than others.

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Last Word is equal parts, where the Aviation is a lot stronger with the gin.

Not the way I make it. xD

I've found my favorite is 2.0 oz gin, 0.5 oz each of chartreuse, maraschino and lime

I've always heard the whisky version referred to as Final Ward, which is good too.

Just now, skywindO2 said:

I went to multiple bartenders before I found one that I liked. I never disliked it but found some made it better than others.

Working with Aperol, Campari, and things like Fernet are very touchy because they're really strong flavors. Even a little either way throws everything off. You really need a bartender to get those kids of drinks right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Not the way I make it. xD

I've found my favorite is 2.0 oz gin, 0.5 oz each of chartreuse, maraschino and lime

I've always heard the whisky version referred to as Final Ward, which is good too.

You're doing it wrong. If you want more gin, you make more of them. That's the best way to get extra gin. 

Even the 1oz is more than you're supposed to use. It should really be .75oz of each, but what fun is that.

Just now, MrDrew said:

You're doing it wrong. If you want more gin, you make more of them. That's the best way to get extra gin. 

Even the 1oz is more than you're supposed to use. It should really be .75oz of each, but what fun is that.

That much chartreuse and maraschino is just too sweet for my taste.