Alcohol Thread!

Glen

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

What constitutes a sour beer? Had a cherry lambic in Brussels and it was incredible. My wife even liked it and she hates any alcohol outside pink moscato and vodka with juice.

A lambic would be a sour beer.

Lambic and gose would probably be the two most common types.

And yes, when done well they are incredible.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And there are more done better now than there have been before (there are also more that are poor than there have been before). Sours are having a massive moment right now. I'm glad for it, because I really like sours and it doesn't seem to have put too much of a dent into IPA's which I love as well.

Also, IPA's have been moving away from super bitter (which I kind of miss) to being very tropical in flavor.

5 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

And there are more done better now than there have been before (there are also more that are poor than there have been before). Sours are having a massive moment right now. I'm glad for it, because I really like sours and it doesn't seem to have put too much of a dent into IPA's which I love as well.

Also, IPA's have been moving away from super bitter (which I kind of miss) to being very tropical in flavor.

Agreed.

IPA's and sours are raging, but so are stouts, porters, and even traditional "macro" lagers brewed by craft breweries.

Beer in general is in the middle of a giant surge. Nearly every decent size city in the country will have a decent brewery with a good selection.  Bars are carrying good beers, both in bottles/cans as well as on tap.  

The days of having to choose between miller lite and bud light are over, at least of the bar wants to stay relevant.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Ahhh, I remember when I was super into beer. Can't stand where it went with all the IPAs and sours. none of those are tasty to me.

Give me a Bourbon and coke all day. Ideally Bulleit.

Ahhh, I remember when I needed soda to drink whiskey... ;)

Try some porters and stouts if you don't like the fruity/tart/floral stuff.

As a side note, Bulleit Rye is my go-to.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Bulleit is really good. I'm currently digging a local Minnesota rye whiskey from Far North. Very likely best whiskey I've ever had.

I'll have to try it. Another one I've been enjoying lately is Clyde May's. Tastes like if Maker's and Bulleit got together to collaborate.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:17 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A lambic would be a sour beer.

Lambic and gose would probably be the two most common types.

Dude, I'm all about the lambic. Cherry lambic goes down goooooood...

• Like 1