Alcohol Thread!

Glen

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else do any beer homebrewing? I just start 2 weeks ago. Made my first kit about 2 weeks ago and just transferred the beer to bottles. In 2 weeks, I'll be able to see how I did. Not very confident about that batch, but we'll see. 

I went to a homebrew store, got some new tools and better ingredients, and brewed another batch last night. Much more confident about this one. It should start fermenting right now, and in 4 weeks we'll get to see how that one turned out. The first batch was a Cascade and Columbus Everyday IPA. This 2nd batch I made is a Citra and Azacca IPA. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Daniel said:

I actually like Beam for making cocktails. For cheap mainstream brands, it’s solid.

But yeah, I would not recommend it as a sipper.

Yeah.  I actually tend to prefer something like plain jane Jim Beam for some cocktails, or especially for cooking or baking and stuff like that original comment.  It's not something i really care to sip on straight, but it's profile seems to work better for those other sort of applications.  It's fine though.  It's bourbon.  It tastes like bourbon.  But kind of like a "stock photo" of Bourbon.  Spikey, awkward, and uneven.  Sometimes that seems to work with cocktails, where those spikes shine through where you want.  And it's cheap.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Daniel said:

A Tom Collins is a great drink, but I think it's more for parties, since it's easier to make a pitcher of than a single glass.  Although I'm not a fan of maraschino cherries, so I always leave those out.

My go to drinks are martinis and gin and tonics though.  A Gordon's cup is also a fine drink, especially in the summer.

Really?  Why can't you just make Tom Collins' by the glass?  I've been known to do it all the time.  But i do also leave out the cherries.  I don't really know what they're there for.  Though i've also been known to omit the simple syrup too.  And even swap lemon for lime.  At which point, i'm basically just making my standard everyday soda water with lime, and putting Gin in it.  But also...that's still real good summer drinkings.  So...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So there was this one guy I overheard just recently talking about beer and one guy was saying "If Guinness is all Ireland known for beer then that is sad" and another guy replied "It's all that it's known for on this side of the Atlantic but that's mainly because Americans are ******* when it comes to beers. Most of their **** barely counts as pisswater" Yet the guy that said that started a beer off and listed his fav craft beers and regular ones. The abv of the so called strong Canadian beer? 5, 4.6, 5.5, 4.5, 4.8, and finally his fav he drinks a lot Molson which is listed at 5 percent abv. I am so confused, are those beers supposed to be strong?

29 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

So there was this one guy I overheard just recently talking about beer and one guy was saying "If Guinness is all Ireland known for beer then that is sad" and another guy replied "It's all that it's known for on this side of the Atlantic but that's mainly because Americans are ******* when it comes to beers. Most of their **** barely counts as pisswater" Yet the guy that said that started a beer off and listed his fav craft beers and regular ones. The abv of the so called strong Canadian beer? 5, 4.6, 5.5, 4.5, 4.8, and finally his fav he drinks a lot Molson which is listed at 5 percent abv. I am so confused, are those beers supposed to be strong?

The standard American beers, Bud light, Coors light, Miller Light, are only 4.2%. Guinness is also only 4.2%. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sure it's been discussed but whatever.

Whiskey, bourbon and scotch drinkers - what are your go-tos and what are your "fancy"s??

Looking for go-tos to expand my horizons. FWIW, I would say JW Black is my favorite but I've never had Green or Blue. I used to be super into Islays but the peaty flavors can be much sometimes. 

Asking for fancy bc I'd like to have something to take to my family Xmas party. 

43 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm sure it's been discussed but whatever.

Whiskey, bourbon and scotch drinkers - what are your go-tos and what are your "fancy"s??

Looking for go-tos to expand my horizons. FWIW, I would say JW Black is my favorite but I've never had Green or Blue. I used to be super into Islays but the peaty flavors can be much sometimes. 

Asking for fancy bc I'd like to have something to take to my family Xmas party. 

Anything from Buffalo Trace is ideal, but if I can’t get that, I enjoy Elijah Craig. Evan Williams white 100 proof is good cheap stuff.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Anything from Buffalo Trace is ideal, but if I can’t get that, I enjoy Elijah Craig. Evan Williams white 100 proof is good cheap stuff.

I had some Pappy a couple years ago when my cousin snagged a bottle in some hole in the wall spot on his way into town. Only Buffalo product I've ever had TBH. Should look into that. I've always equated Evan Williams to cheap stuff lol. Do they make a higher quality product? As a mixer, I don't mind it but lately I've turned into a water and ice only kinda guy. 

Appreciate the insight. 

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Looking for go-tos to expand my horizons

Here are some of my favorite single malts

Balvene Caribbean Cask

Oban 14

Oban Little Bay

Dalmore 12

Hibiki Harmony (it's a blended, but it's probably my favorite scotch right now).

The Yamakazi 12

The Hakushu 12

(Truthfully, anything from Suntory distillery in Japan is outstanding).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Here are some of my favorite single malts

Balvene Caribbean Cask

Oban 14

Oban Little Bay

Dalmore 12

Hibiki Harmony (it's a blended, but it's probably my favorite scotch right now).

The Yamakazi 12

The Hakushu 12

(Truthfully, anything from Suntory distillery in Japan is outstanding).

I will admit I'm not familiar with anything you listed. I know you reside in Texas but is this stuff you can regularly pick up anywhere?

I'm interested in the Japanese stuff.  Sake (no specifics bc I'm not sure of the details) is the only thing I've remotely had that is close to that. Does the taste of what you listed resemble anything like that? 

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I will admit I'm not familiar with anything you listed. I know you reside in Texas but is this stuff you can regularly pick up anywhere?

Yeah, all of that stuff is pretty standard - any liquor store worth its salt should have these spirits in their scotch aisle. Their standard stuff can run from $60 to about $85; Hibiki Harmony runs about $100, so that's a bit pricey.

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm interested in the Japanese stuff.  Sake (no specifics bc I'm not sure of the details) is the only thing I've remotely had that is close to that. Does the taste of what you listed resemble anything like that? 

The Japanese stuff I listed is all Japanese whiskey - so it's going to have a similar flavor profile to any other scotch you've had, some peat and smoke, hints of vanilla on the scent, etc.

This is a good article on the recent wave of Japanese whiskey, along with a good list of what to look for:

https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/best-japanese-whisky

I'll say this - Japanese stuff can  be difficult to find. I've been looking for a bottle of Hibiki Harmony for about a month, nobody has it in stock. I've found places that can ship it, but the shipping fees can add 50-60% to the price, so don't really want to pay that either.

• Like 1