• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else do any beer homebrewing? I just start 2 weeks ago. Made my first kit about 2 weeks ago and just transferred the beer to bottles. In 2 weeks, I'll be able to see how I did. Not very confident about that batch, but we'll see. 

I went to a homebrew store, got some new tools and better ingredients, and brewed another batch last night. Much more confident about this one. It should start fermenting right now, and in 4 weeks we'll get to see how that one turned out. The first batch was a Cascade and Columbus Everyday IPA. This 2nd batch I made is a Citra and Azacca IPA. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Daniel said:

I actually like Beam for making cocktails. For cheap mainstream brands, it’s solid.

But yeah, I would not recommend it as a sipper.

Yeah.  I actually tend to prefer something like plain jane Jim Beam for some cocktails, or especially for cooking or baking and stuff like that original comment.  It's not something i really care to sip on straight, but it's profile seems to work better for those other sort of applications.  It's fine though.  It's bourbon.  It tastes like bourbon.  But kind of like a "stock photo" of Bourbon.  Spikey, awkward, and uneven.  Sometimes that seems to work with cocktails, where those spikes shine through where you want.  And it's cheap.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Daniel said:

A Tom Collins is a great drink, but I think it's more for parties, since it's easier to make a pitcher of than a single glass.  Although I'm not a fan of maraschino cherries, so I always leave those out.

My go to drinks are martinis and gin and tonics though.  A Gordon's cup is also a fine drink, especially in the summer.

Really?  Why can't you just make Tom Collins' by the glass?  I've been known to do it all the time.  But i do also leave out the cherries.  I don't really know what they're there for.  Though i've also been known to omit the simple syrup too.  And even swap lemon for lime.  At which point, i'm basically just making my standard everyday soda water with lime, and putting Gin in it.  But also...that's still real good summer drinkings.  So...