Alcohol Thread!

Glen

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

My goal right now is to hit up Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, and maybe Austria. But like I said in another response, I have no set plans

I’ll give you $20 to buy a Stella in Belgium LOL

On 3/26/2022 at 12:43 AM, Heimdallr said:

If you see Keeper's Heart (currently in 10 states), pick up a bottle. Fantastic. They expect within a year they will be in all 48 continental states (only limiting factor is current availability of glass bottles).

I just bought this for my buddy's first father's day as a gift. Hope it's true to your word!

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

All over. No set itinerary at the moment.

I personally love Belgium and fully encourage you to go there and drink a ton of Belgian beer. I would also pair that with Belgian fries, mussels and many other delicious things. 

There's like 1300 different breweries and many have been going on for like 300+ years. 

Also, I would suggest a trip to Brugges. It's a pretty cool spot. 

Edited by Karnage84

On 5/2/2022 at 2:50 AM, Shady Slim said:

finally got around to trying after seeing in this thread many moons ago, me and some mates went to the movies and got absolutely cooked on the stuff it is very good!!

If you like that stuff, there are other bottles out there that will blow your mind.

Buffalo Trace is just meh to me.  Don't hate it, don't love it.  Do like the price point.  Do like that I can find it kindda easily.

Try Old Forrester Prohibition Bourbon sometime.  Much, much higher proof, so it'll burn yah at first.  Put it over a big brick or sphere of ice.  Give it a minute or two, then sip.  That water unlocks amazing flavor and minimizes that high proof burn/sting.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:40 PM, vegas492 said:

If you like that stuff, there are other bottles out there that will blow your mind.

Buffalo Trace is just meh to me.  Don't hate it, don't love it.  Do like the price point.  Do like that I can find it kindda easily.

Try Old Forrester Prohibition Bourbon sometime.  Much, much higher proof, so it'll burn yah at first.  Put it over a big brick or sphere of ice.  Give it a minute or two, then sip.  That water unlocks amazing flavor and minimizes that high proof burn/sting.

Yeah.  That's been my impression of Buffalo Trace.  It's not like it's bad, it's just...supremely "meh" and with some kind of harsh notes.  I gather the price point is different here, but for less money you can get better Bourbons.  Or for the same money...you can get much better whisky.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, vegas492 said:

Buffalo Trace is okay, but everything else from their distillery is awesome. Weller Special is a great value buy and the Antique is super quality, whereas Blantons and Eagle Rare are the gold standard.

• Like 1

Probably going to have a day drinking session here in a bit while I just chill and wait for the UFC fights. Gotta clear out some space in the fridge for some food lmao. The older beer may not go down well but I hope I'm drunk enough to drink it by tonight. Got Leiny's Summer Shandy, Indeed Brewing's Pistachio Cream Ale (best beer I've ever had), Blue Moon, Blue Moon Light Sky and some old Yuengling Lagers from April that I hope aren't too terrible. Should be a fun one.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, beekay414 said:

Probably going to have a day drinking session here in a bit while I just chill and wait for the UFC fights. Gotta clear out some space in the fridge for some food lmao. The older beer may not go down well but I hope I'm drunk enough to drink it by tonight. Got Leiny's Summer Shandy, Indeed Brewing's Pistachio Cream Ale (best beer I've ever had), Blue Moon, Blue Moon Light Sky and some old Yuengling Lagers from April that I hope aren't too terrible. Should be a fun one.

I mean, you've gotta do what you gotta do.  Right?  You're basically doing chores at that point.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, you've gotta do what you gotta do.  Right?  You're basically doing chores at that point.

I'm on day 2. Fridge is almost clear. I didn't get drunk yesterday which is a shame. Gotta pace better than a beer an hour in order to catch a buzz. I have figured out why people switch to whiskey as they get older. It ain't about taste, it's about impact lol.

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I've had probably a dozen Indeed beers, but never that one. Gotta try to find it.

It's their best seller, should probably be able to. Though, every time I go to stores to find it, if I do, it's usually the last 6er.

Buffalo Trace is just meh to me.  Don't hate it, don't love it. 

I prefer Eagle Rare for that area.

Do like the price point.  Do like that I can find it kindda easily.

I'm here in VA. I have a lot of friends that are jealous. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:18 PM, MWil23 said:

Buffalo Trace is okay, but everything else from their distillery is awesome. Weller Special is a great value buy and the Antique is super quality, whereas Blantons and Eagle Rare are the gold standard.

We don't get much Weller up where I am.  I had a ton of it once, got it from a wholesaler that I knew.  Special Reserve was just bad.  I liked the Antique okay.  12 year was great.  But where I am, Special Reserve is like $80.  Antique is about $130-$150.  12 year is in the $200 range.  No.  Thank.  You.

We don't see many Blanton's either.  Though I did get 3 bottles for about $65/bottle once.  It's great at that price.  Not good at $225 online which is about the only way to find it now, unless you buy thousands of dollars of stuff at a store just to get a reserved bottle of Blanton's at $90 or so.

Eagle Rare is just fine and I love it around $40/bottle.  The problem is, that too has a cult like following now.  I haven't seen a bottle on the shelf around me in over a year.  Thankfully I have a nice reserve of that stuff.

Edited by vegas492

I did a fair amount of bourbon drinking this weekend at the cabin.  Had pours of Jefferson's Ocean, batch 24.  Knob Creek 12 Year and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

Liked them all, but ECBP was the best out of the bunch.  It's getting a little pricy, but I'll still buy 3-4 bottles of it a year.

That Jefferson's Ocean batch 24 was light years better than batch 23.

I do like the Knob Creek 12 Year (blue label).  I don't see it often, but I have a good reserve of it.  I seem to like that one better in the winter for some reason.