Alcohol Thread!

Glen

50 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We don't get much Weller up where I am.  I had a ton of it once, got it from a wholesaler that I knew.  Special Reserve was just bad.  I liked the Antique okay.  12 year was great.  But where I am, Special Reserve is like $80.  Antique is about $130-$150.  12 year is in the $200 range.  No.  Thank.  You.

We don't see many Blanton's either.  Though I did get 3 bottles for about $65/bottle once.  It's great at that price.  Not good at $225 online which is about the only way to find it now, unless you buy thousands of dollars of stuff at a store just to get a reserved bottle of Blanton's at $90 or so.

Eagle Rare is just fine and I love it around $40/bottle.  The problem is, that too has a cult like following now.  I haven't seen a bottle on the shelf around me in over a year.  Thankfully I have a nice reserve of that stuff.

I personally love special reserve, and it’s only $23 a bottle here in Ohio.

Antique is $50, Blantons is impossible to find at $50 it seems, and Eagle Rare is $35 but also hard to find.

Colonel Taylor is $60 but also hard to find.

Trace is $20-$25 a bottle and I personally enjoy it, but I like harsher finishes personally.

Tbh I like finding the “good buys” in the $20-$35 range more than higher end, but that’s just me.

48 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I personally love special reserve, and it’s only $23 a bottle here in Ohio.

Antique is $50, Blantons is impossible to find at $50 it seems, and Eagle Rare is $35 but also hard to find.

Colonel Taylor is $60 but also hard to find.

Trace is $20-$25 a bottle and I personally enjoy it, but I like harsher finishes personally.

Tbh I like finding the “good buys” in the $20-$35 range more than higher end, but that’s just me.

I tend to like the sweeter bourbons out there.  And smooth.  

If I saw any special reserve in that price range, I'd grab a few more and see how they open up.  But I had a lot of bottles, opened one, didn't like it and sold about 25 bottles at $45, which was a steal for my area.  And nice to my bank account.

I really love the Colonel EH Taylor stuff.  Small batch is quite good, and the single barrel is outstanding!  But, I haven't seen any of their stuff on our shelves in about 3 years.  Sadly I only have one bottle of each on reserve.

I see so much Buffalo Trace that I don't even buy it anymore.  Last bottle I bought was for celebrating at the office.  People seem to like it fine.  

Over the weekend I had some really good pours of Jefferson's Ocean, batch 24.  So much better than batch 23.

Knob Creek 12 year.  Love that stuff.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  That's my "go to" for bourbon.  I can find it 3-4 times a year and always buy a bottle or two.

One of my favs is a cheappie.  Very Old Barton.  86 proof.  80 proof is too watered down.  100 proof is too obnoxious.  But that 86 proof bottle is sweet enough and smooth enough for me.  And it's about $14/bottle.  Easy to drink, easy to replace!

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I tend to like the sweeter bourbons out there.  And smooth.  

That definitely used to be me. Now I prefer the less sweet ones. For me, I like it “either” sweet “or” smooth, but not both. So, Eagle Rare is smooooooooth but that initial pop is legit, and Colonel Taylor has that spicy finish.

If I saw any special reserve in that price range, I'd grab a few more and see how they open up.  But I had a lot of bottles, opened one, didn't like it and sold about 25 bottles at $45, which was a steal for my area.  And nice to my bank account.

I personally love Carmel and vanilla, so those notes with the oak blend super well for me, and more importantly, I like wheated everything, so that’s the trifecta for me. Too bad you didn’t like it, the appreciation factor really opened up on that third pour for me (all different sittings) where I was really able to enjoy the notes.

I really love the Colonel EH Taylor stuff.  Small batch is quite good, and the single barrel is outstanding!  But, I haven't seen any of their stuff on our shelves in about 3 years.  Sadly I only have one bottle of each on reserve.

I saw a bottle for $350 over vacation and that was outrageous, so hard pass for me.

I see so much Buffalo Trace that I don't even buy it anymore.  Last bottle I bought was for celebrating at the office.  People seem to like it fine.  

Like I said, it’s a “nightly go to” for just a wind down pour. IMO it is better in the fall.

Over the weekend I had some really good pours of Jefferson's Ocean, batch 24.  So much better than batch 23.

Knob Creek 12 year.  Love that stuff.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  That's my "go to" for bourbon.  I can find it 3-4 times a year and always buy a bottle or two.

I liked Elijah Craig more a year ago than now because of how sweet it is, and I haven’t tried knob creek 12 yet. I haven’t tried Ocean either because the other Jefferson I had was absolutely terrible.

One of my favs is a cheappie.  Very Old Barton.  86 proof.  80 proof is too watered down.  100 proof is too obnoxious.  But that 86 proof bottle is sweet enough and smooth enough for me.  And it's about $14/bottle.  Easy to drink, easy to replace!

A buddy of mine recommended that as well I’ll have to check it out.

• 2 months later...

I like Vodka, Gin, and Tequila.

Mixes well with a vast array of other beverages.

Do not see the love for Whiskey or Rum. It's too heavy and has a rank quality to it.

For beers, I would say that the pale ales, or india pale ales are the best tasting.

The worst are likely scotch ale or porters.