Alcohol Thread!

Glen

13 hours ago, MrDrew said:

So what is everybody's go-to gin? 

I've been buying one from a local distillery, but they only have local distribution right now. If I can't get theirs, I'll buy Big Gin.  

I can only get my favorite from Florida, and shipping isn't cheap. New World Gin from St Augustine Distillery is great if you ever get the chance. 

Bombay Saphire, but I'm not much of a gin drinker.

Clear liquor is for chicks and alcoholics iyam.

18 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I've been buying one from a local distillery, but they only have local distribution right now. If I can't get theirs, I'll buy Big Gin.  

I can only get my favorite from Florida, and shipping isn't cheap. New World Gin from St Augustine Distillery is great if you ever get the chance. 

This is the current bottle i'm working on. Pretty damn good. Its a small batch gin thats made in a scotch distillery in Scotland.

SD_FD_F23A_00336505_NC_X_EC_0?$PDP_MAXI_

Edited by Hockey5djh

On 7/25/2017 at 2:22 AM, flyers0909 said:

Definitely had a bit too much Buffalo Trace for a Monday. 

Buffalo Trace is probably the only decent quality bourbon i've had that i didn't overly care for.  It's not terrible, but straight to my would not buy again list, personally.  Too sweet and kinda unpleasant harsh.  Reminded me of something more toward the Canadian rye end of things a bit.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, bkobow05 said:

So I decided to give scotch a shot (Glenlivet 12) because a co-worker told me it was nothing like cheap whiskey in regards to how it smells/tastes. I'm a beer drinker who can't stand whiskey so I was willing to at least try to expand my horizons. So, I bought a bottle (with the agreement that if I didn't like it, I could sell it to said co-worker for basically what I paid for it), opened it, smelled it and immediately knew I'd hate it. Took a drink on the rocks and instantly regretted it. I'm sorry but whiskey/scotch is just not good. I'm definitely sticking to beer from here on out.

It's not for everyone.  It's good though, definitely.  :)

If you're really into beers, i had a JP Wiser's "Hopped Whiskey" in the form of some random sample bottles dangling from the liquor i was actually buying a while ago, which could be a sort of bridge from beer to whiskey.  I found it kinda weird, but interesting.  It has exactly what it sounds like...weird dark ale and hoppy tones to it.  I'm not typically all that into Canadian rye whiskeys, but the hoppy thing made it interesting.  Even though i'm not really into a lot of heavy duty hoppy beers either.  The combo was...different.

idk how prevalent Wisers is outside Canada, especially the weirder specialized ones.  But there are definitely other companies out there who make hopped Rye Whiskeys.  Totally different beast to Scotch.

The other trick i'd recommend for easing into scotch, is to mix up a Rusty Nail.  Splash a bit o' Drambuie on some decent blended scotch over a ton of ice, and it'll give you something a bit different and maybe easier to get into.

Everyone's got different tastes though.  Drink what you like most imo, but don't be afraid to try different stuff.

On 8/5/2017 at 1:50 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Any good gin cocktails you guys like? I've stopped using tonic water because of the sugar in it. Lately it's just gin, soda water, lemon but I'd like to switch it up.

Honestly, gin, carbonated "spring water" and lemon juice is a go-to hot summer day staple of mine.  I prefer them to a real gin 'n tonic most of the time.  It's super refreshing and light and bubbly and stuff.

Gin is a tough one for versatility though.  It's too distinctive to really do much else with for me.  I like it as a Gin Greyhound/Salty Dog as like a brunch drink on the weekends sometimes.  It's a good spirit, but kinda limited i think.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:44 PM, Heimdallr said:

I rarely buy any liquor or beer that isn't made in Minnesota. Too many good local options.

Same, for beer at least. For liquor I'm mostly a rum drinker and don't know of any local rums, don't expect to find many either. Our beer scene is fantastic though. 

On 8/9/2017 at 4:19 PM, MrDrew said:

Was never a big gin drinker but on a cruise on March, gin and tonic become my usual after dinner drink. Would finish eating pretty late and I'd be really full but still wanted a couple more drinks each day to get the most out of the drink package. Gin and tonic is super light and really refreshing, perfect for that situation.

They had all the big name gins to choose from, decided I liked Bombay Sapphire the best. 

36 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Same, for beer at least. For liquor I'm mostly a rum drinker and don't know of any local rums, don't expect to find many either. Our beer scene is fantastic though. 

Norseman has a pretty good bourbon-barrel aged rum. Flying Dutchman also has a good white rum