Possible Replacements For Burns

soulman

Artie Burns Replacements

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Chicago Bears, Artie Burns

The Chicago Bears should look hold tryouts to replace Artie Burns

We are only two days into padded practices and injuries are occurring all over the NFL. The biggest loss thus far was the Cowboys losing their new defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The Chicago Bears might have lost the second most important player at this point in Artie Burns. Burns went down yesterday with a left knee injury yesterday. The team later diagnosed that he tore his ACL and will be out for the rest of the season.

Burns had been running with the Bears first-team unit opposite of Kyle Fuller. Although many expected rookie Jaylon Johnson to overtake the position, losing Burns at this point in the season is a big blow. Those of you saying Kevin Toliver is the answer need to dive deeper into his play. He showed flashes in 2018 that had more to do with the front seven than his ability to play corner at an elite level.

Quarterbacks have averaged over 67 percent completions when throwing in Toliver’s direction. This is based on only 34 targets over two years. In 2018, quarterbacks averaged a quarterback rating of 87.3 while targeting Toliver. Last year that number jumped to 122.4. We need to remember that Toliver was an undrafted free agent.

Could Toliver still develop into something? Sure, but I am not willing to count on Toliver for a full season. For those saying he just needs an opportunity, you might be right, but nothing has shown that to this point. Burns jumped him immediately on the depth chart despite not being on the team last season. Clearly the Bears view Toliver as a backup who can spot start if needed. With free agents still available, the team should bring these three in for a tryout.

Chicago Bears, Logan Ryan

Logan Ryan would fit in nicely for the Chicago Bears

At this point, even Logan Ryan should come at a discount. Crazy how some big names are still available in free agency. Ryan is coming off a superb season with the Tennesse Titans. Ryan was targeted 167 times over the last two years. During that time he has allowed 66.6 percent of those passes to be completed. I would prefer this number to be lower, but he did finish with four interceptions last year. He had none in 2018.

Ryan is not elite despite having a strong 2019 campaign. This is honestly why he is still available. Ryan wants to be paid for his 2019 performance. If you look back throughout his career (especially in New England), he has proven to be above average and a better option than Toliver. Despite giving up five touchdowns last season, he only allowed an 88.7 quarterback rating.

When watching Ryan’s film, he tends to be too aggressive at times. He would fit in with Chuck Pagano’s blitzing mentality though as he has had 4.0 and 4.5 sacks over each of the last two seasons. Even though he can be overly aggressive, that could work in his favor should the Chicago Bears front seven return to its 2018 form as expected. Ryan may cost a little too much, but this close to the season he should not cost more than a couple million dollars on a one-year deal.

Chicago Bears, Morris Claiborne

Morris Claiborne could be another option for the Chicago Bears

Honestly, out of the three cornerbacks I am going to mention today, Morris Claiborne might be my favorite. Claiborne is not known as a turnover guy. He only has seven interceptions in his career. He is essentially good for one to two interceptions per season. That said, he is a solid coverage corner.

When we look at his advanced stats, Claiborne was targeted only seven times in Kansas City last year. These targets took place as he only started one game and saw only 18 percent of the defensive snaps. If we look at his 2018 season though, he started 15 games for the New York Jets. He saw 94 targets go in his direction but only allowed 52.1 percent to be completed.

Claiborne also only allowed four touchdowns that year while intercepting two passes. Quarterbacks saw an 82.0 quarterback rating when targeting Claiborne. He might not be the playmaker that Logan Ryan is, but he is a consistent pass defender and would fit in nicely until Jaylon Johnson works his way into the starting lineup.

Chicago Bears, Dre Kirkpatrick

Dre Kirkpatrick is worth a look for the Chicago Bears

Another guy the Chicago Bears should bring in for a tryout is Dre Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick is a lengthy corner at 6’2″ and 190lbs. He falls somewhere in between Logan Ryan and Morris Claiborne when it comes to coverage and playmaking ability.

Kirkpatrick has played all eight years of his career in Cincinnati. Over that time he has come away with 10 interceptions. Although drafted in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, Kirkpatrick did not start for the Bengals until 2015. He has had some issues with injuries as he was placed on injured reserve late in the year in both 2018 and 2019. Last season he missed 10 games after hyperextending his knee.

At nearly 31 years old, the knee could prove to be a lingering problem, but that should not stop the Bears from bringing Kirkpatrick in for a tryout. The knee clearly bothered him as he allowed a quarterback rating of 122.5 while being targeted. The year before Kirkpatrick only allowed a quarterback rating of 82.2. Quarterbacks completion percentage while targeting Kirkpatrick also jumped from 50 percent to 63.3 percent. Either it was the knee or age catching up to him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 8:51 PM, soulman said:

Those of you saying Kevin Toliver is the answer need to dive deeper into his play. He showed flashes in 2018 that had more to do with the front seven than his ability to play corner at an elite level.

This an utterly idiotic statement for Schwarz to make about Tolliver. The stupidity continues throughout the article. Schwarz has Tolliver all figured out, it seems. How? Why? Reasons, apparently. 

That being said, it's clear the Bears need another guy. And the three Schwarz mentions are all great candidates. I'd be most excited by Ryan, but happy with any of those listed in the article. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

This an utterly idiotic statement for Schwarz to make about Tolliver. The stupidity continues throughout the article. Schwarz has Tolliver all figured out, it seems. How? Why? Reasons, apparently. 

That being said, it's clear the Bears need another guy. And the three Schwarz mentions are all great candidates. I'd be most excited by Ryan, but happy with any of those listed in the article. 

I think Tolliver is a capable CB just not top grade starting material.  But the good news is Jaylon Johnson is out there is pads now and has made some plays.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I think Tolliver is a capable CB just not top grade starting material.  

Maybe? I think we can't be totally sure what Tolliver is just yet. Which is why I went after Schwartz. Tolliver came out and gave decent results as a lower pick rookie. Too think he'll never improve (based on his draft round, I guess) is a little goofy. 

Edited by Heinz D.

I can't imagine any GM/coach in the league bugging the eff out trying to replace Artie freaking Burns. The dude is garbage. 

Toliver had his struggles last year but I would feel much comfortable in trying to develop him than I would having Burns play any meaningful snap on defense. 

47 minutes ago, soulman said:

To repeat:  Johnson is now in pads and practicing so Tolliver has his prime competitor.

I'm sure the hope was to have Johnson be the starter anyway. If any of those dudes in the article could be had for cheap, might as well pick one up, I guess? Depends. 

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Watch what they do and not what media/we think!  Pace felt more strongly about kicker depth than he did at CB. I'm guessing they have some faith in Johnson coming up or just that one of the many CBs they have on roster will stick.

(cue the Bears trading for Jalen Ramsey at 9am tomorrow)

He's used 4 picks and at least 3 FA signings on the position in the last 2 years, so if he actually doesn't feel good about CB, he's really f***ing up