Week 4 GDT: No Anthem Version

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

You have to wonder how tedious it gets filming these overly elaborate SNF introductions...people walking awkwardly in front of green screens for dozens of takes, forcing smiles and pretending there's actually music playing.

It's like relying on Bradford to stay healthy. Gets old. 

21 minutes ago, Right Smarts said:

Right now probably wasn't the best time to interview Michael Bennett . . .

(Link removed)

Not sure of the relevance of this. Not game day related, and touches on topics we choose not to discuss here.

- ET

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Meh. We'll see. The one position that is problematic is ILB. I think the rest of the defense is fine. Of course, injuries can always become a problem. I'm not expecting great, but it would be nice to see good.

Not anything you can hold against Wade there. Ogletree and Barron at ILB was a predictably failed experiment. One-gap scheme and you trot out a safety and coverage backer to hold up inside. That never had a chance of working. 

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Not anything you can hold against Wade there. Ogletree and Barron at ILB was a predictably failed experiment. One-gap scheme and you trot out a safety and coverage backer to hold up inside. That never had a chance of working. 

I'm still hoping we'll see a change made. Problem is that Barron has the aggression and recklessness to fight off blocks, but he doesn't read keys well. Ogletree doesn't get off blocks and misses too many tackles. Part of it is a lack of familiarity with the scheme (Ogletree has looked this way in the past when breaking in a new defense), and part of it is just Ogletree.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, The LBC said:

Edit: The same Jonathan Allen that has 7 combined tackles (4 of which were assisted) and a sack and you're pimping as a proven difference-maker. 

This is for you @The LBC

WashingtonJonathan Allen has three sacks, two hits and seven hurries on 82 pass-rushes. That equates to a pass-rushing productivity of 11.9. That is third best for all interior defenders over the past 12 years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-32-nfl-observations-week-5

32 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

This is for you @The LBC

WashingtonJonathan Allen has three sacks, two hits and seven hurries on 82 pass-rushes. That equates to a pass-rushing productivity of 11.9. That is third best for all interior defenders over the past 12 years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-32-nfl-observations-week-5

A few things here:

1. Using a rate stat when the season isn't even halfway over, and comparing that to full seasons of other players, is silly. By a similar token, Alex Smith right now has the highest completion % in NFL history by 5%. But anyone with some common sense (so probably not PFF) knows that those kinds of stats are likely to regress to the mean as a larger sample size is provided. 82 pass rushes is like 15% of a season for a full-time player. Now if that was 3rd best of all interior defenders through 4 games, that would provide a bit more context and be a meaningful comparison. But that doesn't appear to be how they describe that.

2. Where did they get 3 sacks from? The NFL has him at 1 sack. Now I know PFF doesn't do half sacks, they give full credit for half sacks, so sometimes a guy with like 7.5 per the NFL will have 9 per PFF. But even if he had 2 half sacks per the NFL, that would give him at most 2. So they're finding an entire sack in that total that no one else counted at all.

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

A few things here:

1. Using a rate stat when the season isn't even halfway over, and comparing that to full seasons of other players, is silly. By a similar token, Alex Smith right now has the highest completion % in NFL history by 5%. But anyone with some common sense (so probably not PFF) knows that those kinds of stats are likely to regress to the mean as a larger sample size is provided. 82 pass rushes is like 15% of a season for a full-time player. Now if that was 3rd best of all interior defenders through 4 games, that would provide a bit more context and be a meaningful comparison. But that doesn't appear to be how they describe that.

2. Where did they get 3 sacks from? The NFL has him at 1 sack. Now I know PFF doesn't do half sacks, they give full credit for half sacks, so sometimes a guy with like 7.5 per the NFL will have 9 per PFF. But even if he had 2 half sacks per the NFL, that would give him at most 2. So they're finding an entire sack in that total that no one else counted at all.

The point is that LBC has been saying all offseason Jonathan Allen would not make much of an impact at the next level.  Regardless of what you think about PFF, if you watch the games, you would see how wrong that POV has been so far.  PFF is only confirming what I have seen; he's the main reason for our defensive improvement.  And there were multiple times over the first 4 weeks where I think Allen should have been credited with a sack or a half sack, but wasn't.  It looks like PFF included a couple of those.  

Archived