Going back to college

So I am going back to college this fall.  I'm 32 now, and haven't attended since the Spring of 2008 where I withdrew from all of my classes that semester.  Specifically, I am wondering if anyone else has done something similar- whether it was for a bachelor's or other program- and how many credits you took while working full-time and making the balancing act work.  I work 40 hours a week, with a job that actually has flexible hours and a boss who is supportive of this.  I also have some other responsibilities outside of work, but I can make it work for all of those as well.  I'm not married and without kids as well.  

As to why I am going back........all of my immediate family had college degrees.  I'd love to at least nail down my associates for my grandmothers sake, as I know she would want to see me get that and more.  I am pretty much capped at my current job- I can't move onto anything else without a four year degree, and as I look around for other jobs that I would be interested in with the skills I've acquired at my current job, they are asking for a degree, as well as experience.  But most of all, I really want to do it this time.  I'm working on conquering some other issues in my life, and I left college on a sour note.  I had a lot of pressure from my family beforehand, and I hate math and I let that really get to me.  I am still apprehensive about the math requirements but I am willing to put in the work for that.  

So let me know your thoughts and experiences.  I'm also willing to PM back and forth and discuss some more specifics.  

• Like 4

I dropped out of college and went back when I was around 28.  Was working full time, I took 12 credit hours a semester which was the minimum I had to take in order to be considered full time.  I also squeezed in a class or two during summer semesters.  It took me like 3 to 3 and 1/2 years to finish what should have been a normal 2 years.  

I dropped out because I just was too immature for the responsibility of it all when I first started.  I should have never had gone to college directly after high school.  I did pretty poorly because I had no interest in being there.  Once I went back I found college extremely easy.  You’ll be shocked how much a few years of life experience teaches you.  I was just so better prepared to be there.  

Congratulations, you’re making the right decision and you’ll be proud of yourself when it’s completed.

• Like 4

You’ve got this buddy! Having some age and maturity, along with life experience, will help you. It took one of my good friends 15 years to graduate, but he got his degree and no one can take that from him. If you want it, you can do it. Time management and responsibility will ensure that you will get this done. Just get your Cs in math and get out of there. :)

What area is your major?

• Like 2

This is funny because I am preparing to do the same. I’m going to be 32 and returning to my studies in hopes of getting a degree in journalism. Writing has always been my passion and I still have this dream of working for ESPN or something.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I had a lot of pressure from my family beforehand, and I hate math and I let that really get to me.  I am still apprehensive about the math requirements but I am willing to put in the work for that.

Smart decision man.

If you need anything math-related, feel free to PM/tag me. It's been a while, but I'd be happy to help and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

This is funny because I am preparing to do the same. I’m going to be 32 and returning to my studies in hopes of getting a degree in journalism. Writing has always been my passion and I still have this dream of working for ESPN or something.

I’d vote for you.

Great decision - my wife did a similar thing, she just finished with her Bachelors in Child Psychology. She's next to get her Masters, then apply and become a Board Certified Behavioral Analyst (BCBA). 

One thing nobody could take away from anyone is knowledge - if you have an opportunity to get formal knowledge, always take it. Don't put yourself in insurmountable debt, don't do it just to check a box on an imaginary "to do" list... do it because you want to learn more and enrich your situation. Get a better job, get a more fulfilling path in life, make more money, find a better quality of life - those are acceptable positions to have.

I've actually toyed with the idea of going back to school - outside of getting my MBA, that is. In an ideal situation, I'd go back to school to get my DPT and become a Physical Therapist. I'd probably have to go back to get an undergraduate in Biology or Kinesiology or something...

• Like 4

Depending on what you're looking to get your degree in, you could fulfill your requirements with liberal arts math which was perfect for me as someone who is terrible at any and all math (except how many 3s Jayson Tatum needs to hit to make Joel Embiid cry) 

I don't think I would have finished my associates without a teacher asking me why I never took liberal arts math and continued to struggle in algebra/etc. If I remember correctly, you're not really even working with numbers specifically.Insert image from URL

• Like 1

As a college instructor, y'all over-20 students are some of my favorites because generally, you:

- Give a **** about being there

- Can read directions

- FOLLOW directions

- Admit when you screwed up instead of blaming me

Consider the financial incentives to taking a 12+ hour load vs. what you think you can reasonably handle with work. Night classes are not the worst option if they're available. Not having a family to take care of is a big benefit in this regard. Be aware of what the Drop/Add deadline is for your school; any instructor worth their salt should include that on the syllabus, but the school website should have it on the Academic Calendar if your teacher doesn't tell you.

Before you sign up for classes, go on Rate My Professor and check out what other students are saying about the teacher. You'll almost always see a few negative reviews for everybody, but unless it's a consistent theme, you can usually write those off as bad students looking for a place to complain. Ask questions if you don't understand something in class; as long as you aren't e-mailing your professor every day, they won't mind helping you out.

You're quite probably going to have at least one garbage professor who views their students as the enemy and won't help you out. Be aware that they're a jerk and you're just gonna have to get through that class. Most of your teachers want you to pass, if for no other reason than it makes them look good, and the more visible effort you make to pass and show you give a ****, the more likely they're going to be to cut you some slack in both grading and due dates, not to mention extra credit.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Depending on what you're looking to get your degree in, you could fulfill your requirements with liberal arts math which was perfect for me as someone who is terrible at any and all math (except how many 3s Jayson Tatum needs to hit to make Joel Embiid cry) 

I don't think I would have finished my associates without a teacher asking me why I never took liberal arts math and continued to struggle in algebra/etc. If I remember correctly, you're not really even working with numbers specifically.Insert image from URL

THIS! I took what was basically a logic course in undergrad to fulfill my math requirement (your mileage may vary; this was over a decade ago at a private college). You don't have to take freaking physics or calculus to fill the math requirement if you're not going into the sciences or a mathematics-heavy major.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

THIS! I took what was basically a logic course in undergrad to fulfill my math requirement (your mileage may vary; this was over a decade ago at a private college). You don't have to take freaking physics or calculus to fill the math requirement if you're not going into the sciences or a mathematics-heavy major.

I took “Intro to College Math”, which was essentially patterns and PreAlgebra. It was glorious!

• Like 1

Congrats! I had an older fella in his late 30s in all my science courses. He'd been in prison for drugs and when he got out, decided he'd try for pharmacy school. He lived in the dorms, but he kept to himself. He definitely did better than most of us because he wasn't worried about the rest of college's distractions. Now he's getting close to practicing. If he can do it, then I'm sure you can as well! See if Stats will count as your math. It's mostly logic and calculator work.

Have you looked into Google's six-month professional certs? Was reading yesterday that they are going to help with job hunting if you finish it and work it into their own hiring practices. Link here.

• Like 2