Rank these Packers receivers

patriotsheatyan

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Lots of good ones in there, but Sterling Sharpe is the best Packer receiver I've ever seen.  As for the rest of them:

1.Donald Driver

2.Jordy Nelson

3. Devante Adams

4.Antonio Freeman

5.Greg Jennings

6.Javon Walker

7.Randall Cobb

Sharpe could have been an all-time great if he didn't have to retire in his prime.  I think Nelson was better than Driver but otherwise I agree with your list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Sharpe could have been an all-time great if he didn't have to retire in his prime.  I think Nelson was better than Driver but otherwise I agree with your list.

Sharpe IS an all-time great. His career was at least as prominent as that of Gale Sayers or Terrell Davis, who are deservedly in the HoF, to say nothing of the undeserving members of the HoF. 

The Antonio Freeman catch against the Vikings where Favre threw essentially a pick, but the CB dropped the pick onto the shoulder of a fallen Antonio Freeman who still juggles the dropped pick on the ground then catches it like a half inch from the ground and gets up and runs it in for a game winning OT TD is all time play to me. Never forget it.

When I think of Packers WRs in memory though I think of 2009 the year Favre unretired and ended up on the Jets and it was Rodgers first year and they had Driver, Jennings, James Jones, and Jordy Nelson as their top four targets. I remember watching them in Tampa and thinking "wow any of these guys could start for the Buccs". That was the most dominate groups I can remember.

If you rank them by AV

Total (as a Packer)
1. Donald Driver 96
2. Jordy Nelson 80
3. Sterling Sharpe 78
4. Antonio Freeman 69
5. Greg Jennings 62
6. Randall Cobb 61
7. Davante Adams 46
8. Javon Walker 25

Best year (as a Packer)
1. Jordy Nelson 18
2. Randall Cobb 16
3. Antonio Freeman 15
3. Sterling Sharpe 15
5. Javon Walker 13
6. Donald Driver 12 
6. Greg Jennings 12
8. Davante Adams 10

James Lofton would slide in with top GBP year of 14 and total GBP career of 93
Don Hudson I couldn't find a AV for, but he'd be up there.
Boyd Dowler has top GBP year of 14 and GBP career of 90 (minus his rookie year since like Hudson's career that was before AV)

Edited by Trojan

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Sharpe IS an all-time great. His career was at least as prominent as that of Gale Sayers or Terrell Davis, who are deservedly in the HoF, to say nothing of the undeserving members of the HoF. 

Yep.  I wouldn't have a problem if he were ever inducted.  He was a great one.

18 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Do you think there is a chance Sharpe can get into the HOF in the future?

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Maybe? It will be tough for him because his career stats look unimpressive, but when you think about his career, what WRs were better than him from 89-94? Essentially, one, and I think Sharpe vs Rice is arguable (I think Rice wins, but Sharpe has a solid argument in his favour, so it isn't a slam-dunk). And I say 1989-1995 because historically WRs aren't dominant in their rookie year; but when you consider he was among the leaders in catches and yds in a rookie class that also contained Tim Brown and Anthony Miller, he was among the best during his entire brief career....and that's WITH shaky QBing (2.5 yrs of young and wild Brett Favre, a half-year of MVP-caliber Favre, 2 season of Pro Bowl-level Majkowski, and dumpster fires Randy Wright, Blair Kiel, Anthony Dilweg, Mike Tomczak, and post-injury Majkowski)

That said, I'd given up hope for players like Dave Robinson, Bobby Dillon, and Terrell Davis, so I guess we'll see. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

On 8/26/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pugger said:

Stat wise?  And his status when he played?  Yah, you can make the case for him.  But, he's on the bubble due to length of time played.

He was, uh, "standoffish" with the media.  That's putting it kindly.  And many of them vote on who gets in.

So yah, I don't see it happening.  

21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

1. Jordy Nelson

2. Greg Jennings

3. Davante Adams

4. Donald Driver

5. Javon Walker

6. Randall Cobb

Personally, I think GB didn't know how to use Cobb appropriately. He could've been so much more.

The last couple of seasons Cobb had some injury issues.  He isn't the biggest WR around...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The last couple of seasons Cobb had some injury issues.  He isn't the biggest WR around...

I think the Packers could've maximized Cobb's talent using him similar to how Tavon Austin was used or even how Percy Harvin was used.

I guess neither McCarthy or Rodgers really cared much for gadget players though.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:46 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

Maybe? It will be tough for him because his career stats look unimpressive, but when you think about his career, what WRs were better than him from 89-94? Essentially, one, and I think Sharpe vs Rice is arguable (I think Rice wins, but Sharpe has a solid argument in his favour, so it isn't a slam-dunk). And I say 1989-1995 because historically WRs aren't dominant in their rookie year; but when you consider he was among the leaders in catches and yds in a rookie class that also contained Tim Brown and Anthony Miller, he was among the best during his entire brief career....and that's WITH shaky QBing (2.5 yrs of young and wild Brett Favre, a half-year of MVP-caliber Favre, 2 season of Pro Bowl-level Majkowski, and dumpster fires Randy Wright, Blair Kiel, Anthony Dilweg, Mike Tomczak, and post-injury Majkowski)

That said, I'd given up hope for players like Dave Robinson, Bobby Dillon, and Terrell Davis, so I guess we'll see. 

During that stretch Andre Rison also was putting up numbers similar to Sharpe and Rice. Irvin had the yards, just not the touchdowns. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Rison just doesn't quite get over the hump for me....he's definitely a Hall of Very Good WR. I also think Irvin is a HoVG WR, but he's in the HoF because voters think that rings are something that WRs have control over, even though they're probably the player on the field most dependent on what's going on around them.