Jump to content
Hunter2_1

Which of these should have won Superbowl MVP

should have won  

39 members have voted

  1. 1. MVP

    • Reggie White or Brett Favre over Desmond Howard (XXXI)
      8
    • Dwight Smith over Dexter Jackson (XXXVII)
      4
    • Timmy Smith over Doug Williams (XXII)
      2
    • Damien Williams or Chris Jones over Patrick Mahomes (LIV)
      11
    • Kam Chancellor over Malcolm Smith (XLVIII)
      8
    • Jamal Lewis over Ray Lewis (XXXV)
      5
    • Ty Law over Tom Brady (XXXVI)
      11
    • James White over Tom Brady (LI)
      9
    • Dominic Rhodes over Peyton Manning (XLI)
      11
    • Terrell Davis over John Elway (XXXIII)
      13
    • Rodney Harrison over Deion Branch (XXXIX)
      4
    • Thurman Thomas over Ottis Anderson...despite losing (XXV)
      4


Recommended Posts

 

Just tick the ones you agree with, can tick as many as you want

 

 

disclaimer; these are based on sources I've found, not my own opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mahomes over Williams is maybe the biggest robbery ever of any award in NFL history

 

Also Justin Tuck over Eli should at least be an option

Edited by LuckIsGOAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Mahomes over Williams is maybe the biggest robbery ever of any award in NFL history

 

Also Justin Tuck over Eli should at least be an option

Mahomes won MVP because he gained more yards and scored more touchdowns than any other player, and is one of 2 NFL quarterbacks to ever overcome a 10 point 2nd half deficit in the Super Bowl (the only other is Brady in 49 and 51). He also had a game winning drive, which is a rarity in the SB. 

He won SBMVP by rallying his team vs. the 1# defense and I guess overall for his historic postseason run. Much deserved

Damien put up a “cleaner” stat line, but he’s not the reason KC won the game. He had 6 total yards on the two 4th quarter TD drives to take the 24-20 lead. That’s why Pat won MVP

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nightime said:

Mahomes won MVP because he gained more yards and scored more touchdowns than any other player, and is one of 2 NFL quarterbacks to ever overcome a 10 point 2nd half deficit in the Super Bowl (the only other is Brady in 49 and 51). He also had a game winning drive, which is a rarity in the SB. 

He won SBMVP by rallying his team vs. the 1# defense and I guess overall for his historic postseason run. Much deserved

Damien put up a “cleaner” stat line, but he’s not the reason KC won the game. He had 6 total yards on the two 4th quarter TD drives to take the 24-20 lead. That’s why Pat won MVP

Damien Williams scored the go ahead TD and then scored again to put the game away. And that after carrying the offense for the first 3 and half quarters. Theres no case for Mahomes over Williams other than the winning QB is automatically the MVP.

 

Also every game has go ahead TD not sure how this counts as a GW drive

Edited by LuckIsGOAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst example of an undeserved MVP was Peyton Manning winning Super Bowl MVP.

The one good throw he made was the 53 yard TD to Wayne in which Wayne was wide open. 

10 of his other 24 completions went to Addai for 66 yards that really ought to have been considered rushing yards. 

Even with the 53 yard TD to Wayne, Manning had under 250 yards, 1 TD and 1 really bad INT.   He also lost a fumble. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Damien Williams scored the go ahead TD and then scored again to put the game away. And that after carrying the offense for the first 3 and half quarters. Theres no case for Mahomes over Williams other than the winning QB is automatically the MVP.

 

Also every game has go ahead TD not sure how this counts as a GW drive

Williams never carried the offense. When KC trailed 20-10, Williams had only accumulated  60 rush yards and 23 receiving yards, and zero touchdowns. That’s not a carry. His last “game sealing” touchdown wasn’t actually game sealing, as it gave the ball back to SF. Had Williams fell to the ground after he got a first down, he’d finish with barely 100 total yards and 1 touchdown in a 24-20 win (yes the Chiefs would’ve kneeled and ran out the clock). That’s not an MVP

Before the final kneel downs, Mahomes had 330 total yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 turnovers. And the second biggest comeback in Superbowl history vs. the #1 pass defense in the NFL. No Mahomes, no Super Bowl for KC. 

I’m not even going to mention the other 2 playoff games where Mahomes was our leading rusher. Damien Williams only had a good SB performance because he got to face the below average 49er run defense who were geared to stop Mahomes. They were more than happy to give up a few yards to Williams as long as they could contain Mahomes 

Edited by Nightime
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nightime said:

Williams never carried the offense. When KC trailed 20-10, Williams had only accumulated  60 rush yards and 23 receiving yards, and zero touchdowns. That’s not a carry. His last “game sealing” touchdown wasn’t actually game sealing, as it gave the ball back to SF. Had Williams fell to the ground after he got a first down, he’d finish with barely 100 total yards and 1 touchdown in a 24-20 win (yes the Chiefs would’ve kneeled and ran out the clock). That’s not an MVP

Before the final kneel downs, Mahomes had 330 total yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 turnovers. And the second biggest comeback in Superbowl history vs. the #1 pass defense in the NFL. No Mahomes, no Super Bowl for KC. 

I’m not even going to mention the other 2 playoff games where Mahomes was our leading rusher. Damien Williams only had a good SB performance because he got to face the below average 49er run defense who were geared to stop Mahomes. They were more than happy to give up a few yards to Williams as long as they could contain Mahomes 

Williams had 7/10 1st downs for the Chiefs in the 1st half. Including evey 1st down on the Chiefs 1st TD drive. He absolutely carried them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Mahomes over Williams is maybe the biggest robbery ever of any award in NFL history

Williams could have been the MVP of that game, but this is one of the most outrageous statements I’ve ever seen, lol. I’m now convinced you are secretly Skip Bayless! 😳

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Williams could have been the MVP of that game, but this is one of the most outrageous statements I’ve ever seen, lol. I’m now convinced you are secretly Skip Bayless! 😳

Its as open and shut as it gets. Mahomes had 2 ints and 2 fumbles. Williams carried the offense in the 1st half and had the go ahead TD and then another TD to put the game away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli Manning winning MVP and getting Hall of Fame buzz for a game where the Giants scored 17 points is the most ridiculous one for me. I don't care who on the defense got it, but someone on the defense that held the greatest offense of all time to 14 points should have won the award. A QB of a unit that put up 17 points should never have won MVP. I don't care about the overhyped Tyree play and drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Its as open and shut as it gets. Mahomes had 2 ints and 2 fumbles. Williams carried the offense in the 1st half and had the go ahead TD and then another TD to put the game away.

Lol, whatever you say. @Nightime already summed up why this argument doesn’t hold water. Beyond that, I was more referring to the absurdity of this statement:

12 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Mahomes over Williams is maybe the biggest robbery ever of any award in NFL history

Beyond the fact that it’s debatable whether Mahomes is even the least deserving MVP in this list, (I think Manning and Brady in XXXVI were both much less deserving), there’s a freaking Kicker walking around with an MVP, when you start talking about biggest award robberies in NFL history. Lay off the drugs.

Edited by Archimedes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Lol, whatever you say. @Nightime already summed up why this argument doesn’t hold water. Beyond that, I was more referring to the absurdity of this statement:

Beyond the fact that it’s debatable whether Mahomes is even the least deserving MVP in this list, (I think Manning and Brady in XXXVI were both much less deserving), there’s a freaking Kicker walking around with an MVP, when you start talking about biggest award robberies in NFL history. Lay off the drugs.

You can't compare Manning and Brady won by default because no one really stood out too much. Williams had spectacular MVP calibur game.

You could at least excuse the Mark Mosely MVP because it was a short season. If you want to put Mosley over Fouts(?) as the worst robbery and Mahomes over Williams #2 I wouldnt argue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Williams had 7/10 1st downs for the Chiefs in the 1st half. Including evey 1st down on the Chiefs 1st TD drive. He absolutely carried them.

So Williams should get MVP because he got first downs on a bunch of short yardage downs? Because these first downs you're praising him for were on 2nd and 1, 3rd and 2, 2nd and 1, 4th and 1, 4th and 1, and 2nd and 1. Like, if that's the core of your argument, give it to the OL, because short yardage conversion has always had more to do with blocking than RB performance.

Williams played a good game, but we had no shot of winning until Mahomes turned it on and carried the team. If you want to argue he carried the team to 10 points in the first half on the back of short yardage conversions, fine, I guess. But Damien Williams carrying had us down 20-10. It was Mahomes carrying that put us up 24-20. Award went to the guy who won us the game. Not the dude who was doing well while we were losing it.

As for the two TDs you keep bringing up, if you give Williams credit for the go ahead TD, you have to give that to Mahomes too. Mahomes also scored the go ahead TD. Difference there is Mahomes was responsible for all 65 yards on that drive. Williams just got the 5 to cap. The final touchdown was unnecessary. I actually said in the GDT he should've kneeled once he got the first down. That score actually raised the odds of us losing the game (he takes a knee after the first down, SF has to call timeout, and there's 1:12 left on the clock with only one timeout, so three knees ends it. Scoring the TD means SF has ball and two timeouts with that 1:12. Still unlikely, but physically possible.) So that shouldn't be mentioned as an argument for Williams getting MVP.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

You can't compare Manning and Brady won by default because no one really stood out too much. Williams had spectacular MVP calibur game.

You could at least excuse the Mark Mosely MVP because it was a short season. If you want to put Mosley over Fouts(?) as the worst robbery and Mahomes over Williams #2 I wouldnt argue

Lol. No, Williams didn’t have a spectacular game. He had a decent game.

As for Brady, he literally won that MVP because he was a great story (at that time). The NE secondary won that game, pick any player out of the secondary and give it to him (Law probably, because of the return TD).

As for Manning, he had one good drive the spent the rest of the time being a game manager. Rhodes could have easily won it.

And no, you most certainly couldn’t excuse a freaking Kicker winning MVP. Mahomes isn’t number 1, 2, or 3, or whatever as far as worst award robberies in NFL history. He and Williams both had strong cases for MVP. Tie usually goes to QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...