Will Washington Bounce Back?

DGriff

The name is a big hit and tough to get over and the controversies draw the attention, but honestly I think when we look back would say we are having a great 2020. 

It started with Bruce Allen getting canned.  Next Rivera was hired.  We had a solid draft.  And our players are generally healthy.

While the work place sexual harassment is a horrible thing, I think it will be a net positive.  First of all, this stuff can't happen, so I am glad it came out and they are making changes and it was good timing for it as we are in a transition period.  It triggered some much needed turnover and drew Snyder's neglected attention to the business operations side.  The staff hired as replacements may or may not work out, but I don't think we will ever look back and say any were bad hires.  The same goes for the hiring of Wright.  I also think without the scandal, Snyder might not have hired a business guy and clearly Snyder needed a professional operations guy and Rivera needed pressure off him.

Rivera's health is not a trivial issue, but I think this needs to be viewed as a wait and see approach.  Luckily he has a strong staff.

If there is any major negative it is the lack of improving our team via free agency long term and/or extending some of our own guys.  

This has definitely been a rough year for Washington - and more than just the football team - the Caps just lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, John Wall didn’t play a game & while the young Wizards & Beal/Bertans exceeded expectations, I don’t know if that’s a good thing bc w/ the roster they have I was hoping for a top 5 pick, not a #9 pick in the draft.

If that isn’t bad enough, the Nats/Lerners refused to pay Rendon more up front $ so he’d stay. Their top 2 pitchers have had injuries and Strasburg may need surgery on his carpal tunnel on his hand. Oh, and Soto had COVID-10 and missed the first 10 games of this season! Ugh 😫 

Obviously the football team lost their name of 87 years. The only good thing that’s happened was the draft, signing Fuller back and that Haskins lost his baby fat aka 20 lbs this offseason.

As for the season the football team will have, I don’t expect much tbh. New HC - who just found out he has cancer - in a year where COVID-19 made it so there was no mini-camps and OTAS, training camp is not the same and there is no preseason! We are switching to a ZBS running scheme on offense & to a 4-3 on D w/ most of the same players. Ugh again! 😩 Not good for one of the youngest teams in the NFL. 

Needless to say, I don’t expect much. I expect us to be more competitive than last year but not a playoff contender. I expect Haskins to be improved over last year and I look forward to what our top 3 rookies - maybe 4 including Charles - can contribute.

So, to sum it all up I expect our defense to be improved but not top 10 where they can score and carry an average at best offense. I expect our running game to be a bit improved but not to the point where it can make up for inexperience and journeymen veterans on offense in the passing game and along the OL except for the obvious we are retaining from last year (Scherff, Moses, Roullier & Terry).

I expect a 5-11 or 6-10 season and another top 10 pick where we draft Penei Swell, Micah Parsons, Ja’mar Chase, Shaun Wade or Alex Leatherwood.

Edited by turtle28

My prediction....

Play full 16 game season= We will finish 8-8 or worse & miss playoffs.

Play a 15 game season or less because of Covid-19 health scare= We will make NFC Championship game at minimum.

Washington always does well in strike shortened seasons. I'm betting we do as well, if games are eliminated because of the pandemic.

Seriously, look it up...

When the season is cut short?

Washington is awesome!

And don't forget...they are also adding a 7th seed to the playoffs this yr.

Just another opportunity, for Washington to slip in there & win it all.

Lol

9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

My prediction....

Play full 16 game season= We will finish 8-8 or worse & miss playoffs.

Play a 15 game season or less because of Covid-19 health scare= We will make NFC Championship game at minimum.

Washington always does well in strike shortened seasons. I'm betting we do as well, if games are eliminated because of the pandemic.

Seriously, look it up...

When the season is cut short?

Washington is awesome!

And don't forget...they are also adding a 7th seed to the playoffs this yr.

Just another opportunity, for Washington to slip in there & win it all.

Lol

You can’t compare the Gibbs teams in the mid 80s after Gibbs had been established for several years w/ a team that had grown together over the years to this years team w/ a new coaching staff and being one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

I think you’re original prediction was right, at best 8-8, most likely worse but that will be no matter how many games are played this year. I just don’t think our team is experienced enough and will have the chemistry w/ a new coaching staff/system and being so long that we’ll win more than 8 games.