Spider-Woman Movie, Anyone Interested?

DGriff

On 8/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Acgott said:

We don’t know it’s Jessica Drew.

It could be numerous other characters including an original version created. I believe Jessica Drew has appeared in more Avenger related comics than Spideman specific, so her rights could be difficult.

She had her own series decades before she joined the Avengers. She's also easily the most well-known Spider-Woman (insofar as any of them are well-known). Julia Carpenter or Mayday Parker would be really surprising choices instead of Drew.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

She had her own series decades before she joined the Avengers. She's also easily the most well-known Spider-Woman (insofar as any of them are well-known). Julia Carpenter or Mayday Parker would be really surprising choices instead of Drew.

It could be an original character. These right issues get complicated between studios.

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It could be an original character. These right issues get complicated between studios.

Could be, but I doubt it. They haven't created any original versions of long-running characters to date. This must have been part of the contract negotiations when Marvel brought Sony's Spider-Man back on board.

49 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'd contest that Gwen Stacy's Spider-Woman is by far the most popular iteration at the moment, both in the comics and in the general audience thanks to Spiderverse. She did have a recent name change to "Ghost Spider" but Im not sure if that will stick long term. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I'd contest that Gwen Stacy's Spider-Woman is by far the most popular iteration at the moment, both in the comics and in the general audience thanks to Spiderverse. She did have a recent name change to "Ghost Spider" but Im not sure if that will stick long term. 

Good point, I forget about her because she's usually referred to as Spider-Gwen 😛

I have several Spider-Woman comics from the 80s.... Had a huge crush on Jessica Drew and liked her so much better than Spidey--I know, blasphemous! Part of that might have been the characters that got time in her books, like the Shroud. That dude was so cool.

I just hope they tell a story instead of making a statement. Yes, you can do both, but too often, if the focus is on statement, it doesn't make a good story.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:28 AM, The Gnat said:

It is Jessica Drew, she's a Spider-Man property so deal would have to be worked out for her to be in the MCU, unless it's some odd sharing thing like that was with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

As for the movie itself, I haven't watched Venom yet, Morbius doesn't interest me that much, Spider-Woman actually interests me more than either of those do, so I'll be curious to hear reviews on it. It probably falls into the category of a future digital rental like the other Sony Spider-Man stuff does.

Isn't that because Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver also were part of X-men at one point?

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Isn't that because Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver also were part of X-men at one point?

They debuted as part of Magneto’s brotherhood of mutants. Quicksilver joined spin-off teams such as Xfactor,  but I don’t think either was an official member of the X-men. Definitely interacted with them of course.

24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

They debuted as part of Magneto’s brotherhood of mutants. Quicksilver joined spin-off teams such as Xfactor,  but I don’t think either was an official member of the X-men. Definitely interacted with them of course.

Technically all mutants are now a part of the Xmen after Hickman's Power of X and House of X arcs (if you are in anyway interested in comics this is a GREAT read and good place to start for Xmen). That being said, neither of them were ever part of a prof X team

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

But what I was saying is that they are part of the X-men branding deal. Not that they were part of the actual X-men. X-men was split like 3 ways between Marvel/Disney, Sony and 21st Century Fox. Now X-men is just Marvel/Disney and Sony like Spiderman is.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Technically all mutants are now a part of the Xmen after Hickman's Power of X and House of X arcs (if you are in anyway interested in comics this is a GREAT read and good place to start for Xmen). That being said, neither of them were ever part of a prof X team

Yeah, totally not what I was referring to. Still cool to know though.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

But what I was saying is that they are part of the X-men branding deal. Not that they were part of the actual X-men. X-men was split like 3 ways between Marvel/Disney, Sony and 21st Century Fox. Now X-men is just Marvel/Disney and Sony like Spiderman is.

The branding deal gets complicated with so many characters as you know. What X-men characters does Sony have?

On 8/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, Blue said:

Jessica Drew is a potentially interesting character in the mold of the movie version of Black Widow. Olivia Wilde on board as writer and director is a great sign that they'll try to make her an actually interesting standalone character instead of just capitalizing on the Spider-Man adjacency. I'm optimistic.

What has Olivia Wilde written that gives you such confidence in giving her Spider-Woman to write?  Her directorial debut was Superbad 2 errr.. I mean Booksmart (which she didn't write) and it was pretty good but it's a little early for that leap iyam.  That's her only credited feature that she's directed and she has no screenwriting credits other than a short.

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not every mutant on Krakoa is an X-Man (there are some other strange teams within teams tho).  I do fully co-sign the recommendation to read HoX/PoX.  It's the best X-Men story in decades.