Washington Signs two OL; releases Thaddeus Moss w/ Injury Designation

turtle28

Washington has added some depth on the O-line, signing G Joshua Garnett and OT David Steinmetz. Meanwhile, they waived/injured TE Thaddeus Moss, the son of Randy.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 21, 2020

Washington released LSU tight end Thaddeus Moss with injury designation. If he clears waivers he lands on WFT IR list. Not really a surprise, he was barel participating the last few days and TE coach Pete Hoener didnt seem thrilled with what Moss anyway

— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) August 21, 2020

I have no clue who David Steinmetz is, but Joshua Garnett could have a chance to make our team, and maybe even start at LG. I would think one of the Wes’s still start at LG but, this is a good signing IMO.

I’ve wanted them to bring Joshua Garnett in for a while. He wasn’t any good in SF — but you never know what a change of scenery might do for a player, and he was a beast at Stanford. 

Given the fact that Wes Schweitzer has been somewhat mysteriously missing from practice — and the news that Wes Martin appears to have taken the brunt of Rivera’s ire this morning — I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the LG position is still a bit...unsettled. Who knows, Garnett could play meaningful snaps for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’ve wanted them to bring Joshua Garnett in for a while. He wasn’t any good in SF — but you never know what a change of scenery might do for a player, and he was a beast at Stanford. 

Given the fact that Wes Schweitzer has been somewhat mysteriously missing from practice — and the news that Wes Martin appears to have taken the brunt of Rivera’s ire this morning — I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the LG position is still a bit...unsettled. Who knows, Garnett could play meaningful snaps for them. 

I know you have - I’ve wanted them to sign him too  bc he has talent. Let’s hope he realizes that talent here. I’m not sure what’s up with Schweitzer, I haven’t seen anything reported that he’s injured. Maybe they game him some veteran days off.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I know you have - I’ve wanted them to sign him too  bc he has talent. Let’s hope he realizes that talent here. I’m not sure what’s up with Schweitzer, I haven’t seen anything reported that he’s injured. Maybe they game him some veteran days off.

At this rate, I won’t be shocked if they look to work Saahdiq Charles into the mix at LG right away.

They keep falling all over themselves saying good things about Geron Christian — which to me has the strong feel of perhaps a bit excessive praise, trying to build up his confidence — and Charles is falling even further behind the eight ball with each day he misses. There’s just no way he could possibly be ready to start at LT in Week One at this point, in my view. But at LG, maybe?

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

At this rate, I won’t be shocked if they look to work Saahdiq Charles into the mix at LG right away.

They keep falling all over themselves saying good things about Geron Christian — which to me has the strong feel of perhaps a bit excessive praise, trying to build up his confidence — and Charles is falling even further behind the eight ball with each day he misses. There’s just no way he could possibly be ready to start at LT in Week One at this point, in my view. But at LG, maybe?

Yeah, I don’t know. Hard to know with Charles, he definitely has the talent to start but he may be behind and not be ready.

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

Really wish we would stop moving guys to guard to start immediately.  I still wanted to see whether or not Scherff would have done well at RT.  I think with Charles, it will be worth the wait at LT.  

As for Moss, it sucks, but that is why he was removed from draft boards completely.  

13 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Wow I thought this guy was the next Tony Gonzales according to our fan base 

Along with Haskins being Big Ben

With how poor the TE class was this year, a healthy Moss without that foot injury is probably a 3-4 round pick.  He was a good get as a UDFA even with the injury, but there is no guarantee he will make it back from it.  It is definitely healing slower than they thought. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really wish we would stop moving guys to guard to start immediately.  I still wanted to see whether or not Scherff would have done well at RT.  I think with Charles, it will be worth the wait at LT.  

As for Moss, it sucks, but that is why he was removed from draft boards completely.  

I’m almost 100% sure Scherff competed with Moses in his rookie year to be the RT and Moses was the better option at RT while Scherff was a better option at guard. 

I do hope that Charles gets a chance to compete at LT, wells actually at this point, I just hope he gets healthy enough to participate in practices... ugh 😫 

Just now, turtle28 said:

I’m almost 100% sure Scherff competed with Moses in his rookie year to be the RT and Moses was the better option at RT while Scherff was a better option at guard. 

I do hope that Charles gets a chance to compete at LT, wells actually at this point, I just hope he gets healthy enough to participate in practices... ugh 😫 

One training camp should not make that determination is all I am saying. 

And even still, drafting a guy top five to possibly end up as a guard long-term isn't a smart investment, even though we did end up with the best pick of a pretty bad top of the draft. 

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With how poor the TE class was this year, a healthy Moss without that foot injury is probably a 3-4 round pick.  He was a good get as a UDFA even with the injury, but there is no guarantee he will make it back from it.  It is definitely healing slower than they thought. 

I think it’s more than that. If it was just his foot, they would’ve put him on IR. I think he must have an attitude like his father, only he isn’t his father so our coaches weren’t going to put up with it and told him to get off the field and you’re cut.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

One training camp should not make that determination is all I am saying. 

And even still, drafting a guy top five to possibly end up as a guard long-term isn't a smart investment, even though we did end up with the best pick of a pretty bad top of the draft. 

Well what were they going to do? Force Scherff to start at RT to start the 2015 season even though he looked awful blocking DEs in practice and bench Moses their best option at the position? That wouldn’t have been wise.

Yes, McCloughan drafting Scherff at 5 wasn’t a wise investment. We’ve had that discussion in this forum since before draft day. McCloughan liked that Scherff was all about football and didn’t have outside interests though - interesting take by him considering in 2016 he took Doctson & Sua who didn’t love football. I still to this day would’ve drafted Leonard Williams @ #5.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well what were they going to do? Force Scherff to start at RT to start the 2015 season even though he looked awful blocking DEs in practice and bench Moses their best option at the position? That wouldn’t have been wise.

Yes, McCloughan drafting Scherff at 5 wasn’t a wise investment. We’ve had that discussion in this forum since before draft day. McCloughan liked that Scherff was all about football and didn’t have outside interests though - interesting take by him considering in 2016 he took Doctson & Sua who didn’t love football. I still to this day would’ve drafted Leonard Williams @ #5.

Develop him as a tackle for more than a couple months and look at trading Moses to clear a spot for him?  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Develop him as a tackle for more than a couple months and look at trading Moses to clear a spot for him?  

Well they could trade Moses now, they just signed Lucas who is more a RT than LT. By the way, I don’t see anything coming back for Moses than a conditional late round pick.

Edited by turtle28