Ravens to release/trade Earl Thomas

Ray Reed

22 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Now this I don’t get. Conduct detrimental to the team was supposed to offset his guaranteed amount from earlier reports, now they’re saying its only going to save us $6m? That’s annoying.

Means we’re not likely to be in the Clowney running after this move either. Elliot, but especially Clark, now has a lot on his shoulders. For better or for worse, most fans won’t likely see this as “ET is a tool” they will see it as “why did Clark have to aggravate him”.

I suppose the hope at this point in time is for another team to sign him and give him at least $4m in salary so that it can offset the rest of the grievance money, if my understanding of this is correct. Or if the other interpretation is accurate, then hopefully some team commits to him a ridiculous some of money.

He must’ve done a boatload for the team to decide to release him outright without being able to even work in a trade with another team.

I'm not seeing why people are down on this move. I don't really care what happens to the 10M salary in terms of our cap space. We got bigger stuff in play than 10M cap space. We don't need a player that even teammates don't think are 100% committed on this roster. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

The language in the Ravens tweet is important because it means that they will be releasing him for conduct in an attempt to void the remaining guarantees, which total $10 million, in his contract. As I discussed yesterday the Ravens could get out of Thomas contract if he either willingly missed practice or was suspended for conduct his guaranteed salary would void.

The next step will likely be a grievance by Thomas in an attempt to recover the $10 million salary for the Ravens. Typically cause for a conduct related release requires multiple incidents in the same year and some type of ability to prove that you are not treating this player any different than another.

https://overthecap.com/ravens-release-earl-thomas/

So I misunderstood it in my post above. They’re just holding onto the additional money in the event that they lose the grievance. Makes sense. I still feel like in the article they’re underrating how this is worse than the Antonio Brown incidents. With Brown their was a lot of nonsense with him protesting his helmet and dealing with Frostbite, none of those are conduct that is truly detrimental to the team... except the situation with the GM, Mike Mayock.

Whereas with the Ravens we know that ET has been late to practice for seemingly an extended period of time (based off of reports), which is minor stuff like what the Raiders had on AB. We know he’s got into it with teammate BWill, which is not too big of a deal, like the Mayock incident. But AB never punched/got into a fight with Mayock, like ET got into with Clark. While AB shared random letters sent to him, he wasn’t posting team practice clips that reveal trade secrets, to social media. So Lastly, while DeCosta is still a relatively new GM, he’s been an assistant GM for some time, so I’m sure he didn’t react to this move half cocked, he probably has extensive info on this that’s all documented for a far stronger case than what the Raiders could provide on AB.

When a grievance is clear-cut and open and shut, issues like this won’t matter. But legal battles present plenty of close questions, with each side having lawyers who are capable of advancing a persuasive interpretation that sets the case up to go either way. And the NFL and NFLPA surely track in exhaustive detail the decisions made by each of the four arbitrators, and the two sides undoubtedly have opinions as to whether a given arbitrator is more or less likely to see close cases their way.

So in order to ensure a long-term assignment as a non-injury grievance arbitrator for the NFL and the NFLPA, the arbitrator needs to have a big-picture reputation for being in the middle. Which means that the arbitrator needs to, over the course of resolving multiple grievances, produce a sufficiently mixed bag of rulings that prevent one side or the other from deciding that the arbitrator needs to go.

Which means that, in any given case (especially in the close ones), the arbitrator’s track record becomes relevant. If the arbitrator has been leaning toward the NFL in recent cases, it may be time for a correction, and vice-versa.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/how-independent-are-the-neutral-independent-arbitrators-who-handle-cba-grievances/

So with this all being said the Ravens leadership council and the news leak sounds intentional. The Ravens have made it known that their top locker room leaders/players have spoken on this incident. This is an important development as I’m sure a number of those players are either active or friendly with those running the NFLPA. An Arbiter is only less likely to be partial towards the NFLPA in the event that they believe the NFLPA might be unhappy with their rulings in favor of the NFL. However in this incident an independent leadership council of players decided against ET on his own team. Thus it stands to reason that the NFLPA won’t be “going to bat” for him in a way that attempts to target the arbiter for ruling against him in this case.

3 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I’ve wondered if Marcus Peters would be a viable deep safety? Seems like his knack for finding the football and playing well in a zone scheme would lend itself well to that position. Could help cover some snaps opened up by this transaction.

Smart idea. This could certainly be a backup option in the event that something happens to Elliot.

First off, good on Chuck Clark for calling out this bum. It seems like the reports on Earl's conduct are true, damning, and certainly worthy of release. So props to Chuck Clark for calling him out when the off field antics translated to on field errors. Clark is a real and true natural born Raven who's deserved all the praise he gets.

Thomas seems like a guy that held on to his sanity for a number of years in Seattle in pursuit of money and a championship. Dude has some serious self destructive tendencies and should probably see a shrink for some of the other off field rumors too. This was once a respected player in the league, and he's now unraveling his career and personal life. Won't catch me caring about either though. F him.

• Like 1

1. I can see EDC wanting to finesse a move for another Front 7 piece. With us not able to field the elite secondary we envisioned, he could pivot to trying to forge a front four that can get home on it's own. Allowing us to sit more in coverage. We'll see just how much money gets freed up(looks like it will be 6 Mill), and what he swings.

2. This loss has a layered impact and we're going to feel it. Clark wasn't a full time pure safety, he was also a money backer for us. So does that role now get reduced with Wink not wanting to put two unknown commodities on the field? I see some schematic changes coming with these personnel ones. 

3. Watch for this affecting the theorized AB-Ravens connection. FO might not be as willing to roll the dice on a headcase after just having one implode earlier in the year.

I definitely feel more justified with my takes on the Safety position before the draft too-

FEB 7th: "Honestly I think Safety is an under the radar (not small) need. Levine is a FA, Carr is a FA, Earl is in his 30s, Deshon has IR'd two seasons in a row now and hasn't cemented himself, and Clark is in a contract year".

March 4th: "No one should be shocked if we go with a Safety early. Especially if we acquire a top end EDGE in FA/by trade. 

Earl Thomas is on the wrong side of 30, as is Levine who's also a UFA. Jefferson is gone. Elliot hasn't lasted half a season yet. And Clark is essentially a LB on pure passing downs. Carr can play Safety, but he's far from elite and his lack of physicality leaves us vulnerable.

We need more than a couple bodies added to the position group, and a starter level talent needs to be among them. With all the great work we've put into forging the best secondary in the league, I don't see EDC taking his foot off the gas".

Ultimately I was wrong, and EDC didn't prioritize the position all that much. We used a 7th on Geno Stone, did the obvious and extended Cark, retained Levine for STs and that was it. Now we find the team in a less than ideal spot with the position. Going forward it will need some significant investment. We can't stop in our pursuit of a near flawless DB core.

I go home and visit my dad for a couple of hours and come back home to this.

Wow, I must say I was in the "lets wait and see and let this stuff blow over". I can only contemplate just how bad Earl has behaved, because the punching is bad, but it happens. Missing out the meetings like Jeff Zrbiec wrote in the athletic is bad, but so bad we had to cut him?

I think this is a situation, where the front office know they have a chance to redeem some cap/money due to the contract language, and they know they can bring in veterans so they avoid a big shuffle in the secondary.

Still too bad, I doubt we can replace the impact at the free safety position we had with Thomas.

Fingers crossed DeShon Elliot can stay healthy. Every time he has been on the field, he has been a noticeable presence.