Ravens to release/trade Earl Thomas

Ray Reed

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

In what world does Earl think "I needed to get my car washed" would fly as an excuse for being late?  😂

Either he is completely clueless or he was looking to cause trouble.

he probably had already checked out mentally and was provoking his release. thats down right comical imagining a grown man telling his boss he had to get his car cleaned instead of attending a meeting or whatever mandatory appointment. i laughed out loud imagining Harbaughs look when ET told that to his face.

read elsewhere but can't bother enough to look it up now that ET got in a verbal altercation with Peters days before the incident w/ Clark, had made a pattern of being late or absent w/o excuse during last season which led to multiple fines and that he was the reason Peters and Jackson were held out of camp 2 days... the later being just a rumour.

w/e, Jimmy Smith will probably do better at safety than at CB at his age now and i can't wait to see Elliott on the field.

and i wouldn't call Elliott injury prone as it is rather freak injuries than anything chronical with him, just like Tavon Young.

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

w/e, Jimmy Smith will probably do better at safety than at CB at his age now and i can't wait to see Elliott on the field.

Looks like we have a decent idea as to what his role will be now. From an interview with Mark Andrews, he made it known that Jimmy has been the TE cover guy.

I know he did some of that last season along with Brandon Carr, but it looks like while Tavon Young will be the small NCB for small receivers, Jimmy will be the big NCB for flexed TEs.

Getting in plenty of camp work with Mark Andrews, who has been such a prolific receiving TE in the league should really pay dividends as the Browns will be deploying Hooper and then we have the Chiefs with Kelce in week 3. Jimmy being able to shutdown the opposing teams best TE will be huge.

I think he is on point with most of his article, but I disagree with his solution: 

The Ravens will get Elliott into the rotation, but would be wise to investigate trade options and the free agent market in an effort to acquire a higher-caliber safety to keep Elliott as a rotational bench piece or insurance for injury.

I think some of this solution stems from the idea, that teams need that unicorn free safety centerfielder Ed Reed and Earl Thomas had the ability to be. With those two players, you can immediately eliminate some of the deep passes down the sideline because of their range, instinct and filmstudy combined, and then they take away the middle of the field with crosses and seams, which limits a whole lot of options in the passing game.

Elliot doesn't have to be that type of safety though and from what we have seen, playing that deep middle/deep half with the ability to come up into the box, he has the instinct and technique to be a factor and good enough. I don't think there is a free agent on the market not named Eric Reid, Tony Jefferson or Brandon Carr that would make a decent fit right now. Exploring a trade option and hope that player would gel and learn the system so quick he would be a better option than Elliot? I don't buy that either.

We are so unproven right now at that position, but I think we have to trust Wink here to solve it with a platoon as he did at the nickel position two years ago.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Solak isn't kind in his assessment of the situation. I don't think the right way to look at the situation is "Can DeShon Elliot replace Earl Thomas?" though. I don't see Wink asking Elliot to take on Earl's responsibilities. 

He also doesn’t take into account that Elliot’s athletic testing are from that of a 20 year old that wasn’t completely finished physically maturing. There’s likely more explosive gains that he was able to cultivate to the point where he’s at now as a 23 y/o; I’d bet his straight line speed is closer to low 4.5 speed now. Then when we factor that in with the fact that while 20 y/o ET was a low 4.4 speed guy, 31 y/o ET is probably closer to low 4.5 speed. So while ET certainly had instincts that we can’t expect Elliot to match, I definitely don’t think ET has any significant athletic advantages over Elliot at this stage in their respective careers. Earl certainly has advantages in quickness and processing power, but Elliot has more length and leaping ability, the sideline to sideline speed appears to be quite similar.

Either way, Elliot isn’t replacing an elite top 5 S, he’s replacing a really good top 10 S. If he can fall somewhere between ET and TJ, he will have performed adequately. If he can perform on the same level as Chuck Clark then I see nearly no drop off from what ET provided. So when considering Elliot actually puts the work in and will vibe better with Clark, its possible the synergistic effect of an inferior safety tandem could produce similar results.

No matter how we try to spin it, we moved on from a proven commodity to an unknown but talented one. None of us can say for sure if this was a good move, and if team chemistry will prove more important than talent on the field.

One thing I do see as a positive however, is how this reflect on the organization and its priorities regarding culture and "family". We have already seen and heard how veterans decide to come to Baltimore to be a part of a great culture, and former players work as ambassadors for the team. The Earl Thomas situation most likely will only reiterate that, and players who want to spend their last years in the league on well run teams will see Baltimore as a prime example of that, where it doesn't matter if you are a great player - team first.

While Earl Thomas most likely got a bigger leash than Jordan Lasley for instance, parting ways with Thomas shows we didn't hold on to him and we took the financial slap to focus on a better team culture. Some players would most likely see that as appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 1:41 AM, Danand said:

No matter how we try to spin it, we moved on from a proven commodity to an unknown but talented one. None of us can say for sure if this was a good move, and if team chemistry will prove more important than talent on the field.

One thing I do see as a positive however, is how this reflect on the organization and its priorities regarding culture and "family". We have already seen and heard how veterans decide to come to Baltimore to be a part of a great culture, and former players work as ambassadors for the team. The Earl Thomas situation most likely will only reiterate that, and players who want to spend their last years in the league on well run teams will see Baltimore as a prime example of that, where it doesn't matter if you are a great player - team first.

While Earl Thomas most likely got a bigger leash than Jordan Lasley for instance, parting ways with Thomas shows we didn't hold on to him and we took the financial slap to focus on a better team culture. Some players would most likely see that as appealing.

Yea, same message as Daylon Mack, just at the other end of the talent/contract spectrum.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, same message as Daylon Mack, just at the other end of the talent/contract spectrum.

You know you must have pretty trash professional habits if you’re as talented as ET and can’t find a team before the season even after so many secondary injuries to teams during that time period.

Unless maybe ET doesn’t want to play this season and is fine with all the guaranteed money he’s already gotten from the Ravens over the past year.