Did Ravens make a mistake replacing Ozzie?

DontTazeMeBro

Ozzie Newsome considered one of the best GMs ever built two Super Bowl champions and in his final draft selected Lamar Jackson. And then he was demoted and Eric DeCosta was promoted to GM. 

Since Eric DeCosta took over. 2019 draft made almost no impact. His two big free agent signings were Mark Ingram and Earl Thomas. Both were good but Earl Thomas, the more expensive acquisition by far, was just released for being a lunatic which everyone knew he was. Z’Darius Smith signed with Green Bay and was dominant while EDC left his spot to draft busts Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser then had to resort to signing Pernell McPhee out of desperation in the summer. He also left ILB unaddressed resulting in a horrendous first month defensively and had to sign L.J. Fort and Josh Bynes out of desperation. He also signed Marcus Peters who has been mostly a success but like Earl Thomas is considered a head case and kinda soft.

So was it a mistake to replace Ozzie Newsome? What has Eric DeCosta done to deserve the almost universal praise he gets? And how long should he get before Bisciotti begs Ozzie to take his old job back?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, I was under the impression that Ozzie basically stepped aside because he was done/semi-retiring. You make it sound like he was forced out which I kind of doubt.

This is how I always took it as well. I thought this was an Ozzie decision. 

• Like 6

Yeah, the whole narrative around here was that Newsome wanted to step aside and retire.  He was 62 when he retired, and he never took time off from his playing career starting in 78 to retiring in 2018.  So 40 years in the game.  I can see where he would be done and want to step down or step aside.  

After his history with the Ravens, and how Steve Biscotti operates, I don't think for a second they would impose a demotion on him either.  

Two strong drafts? Trades a backup kicker to Minnesota for a 5th round pick that turns into a trade for Calais Campbell. Traded a fifth and a backup LB to the Rams for Marcus Peters who went on in half a season with 3 picks and 2 for touchdowns. Retained a few vets, got Derek Wolfe and manages a good salary cap. Earl Thomas turned out to be a bad signing. Big deal. Even Bill Belichick makes bad signings.

EDCC2.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, NFL_Announcer said:

Ravens are done. Lamar will be an injury prone QB from here on out, and Ozzie was the only reason that team was competitive for a # of seasons. Ravens are finished. They wont compete for a SBOWL for at least 5+ years. 

How are they done? There were plenty of running quarterbacks that grew into great pocket passers. Mahomes used to run a lot more, go back in time Steve Young was quite the runner, so much so they considered switching him to running back while Joe Montana was in his prime. Ozzie could not draft a WR to save his life. Worst thing he did was trad Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, that was madness coming off a Super Bowl. 

I find your 5 year dismissal of the Ravens baseless and nonsensical.