Did Ravens make a mistake replacing Ozzie?

DontTazeMeBro

26 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Green Bay must’ve anticipated Smith’s success. 

You’re just recapping what we did with the front seven. Not disputing that what we entered the season with was a failure. Which isn’t even a hot take and not at all reactionary. Most of us knew that front seven was going to be terrible.

And expanded role doesn’t mean success. It still hasn’t been disputed that no one from that draft other than Hollywood has made an impact. 

Wait so...

You’re faulting Decosta for letting a Ravens defensive player who had a career contract-year walk in exchange for a comp pick....in the same thread you’re praising....Ozzie Newsome?

....you see what I’m getting at here, right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Green Bay must’ve anticipated Smith’s success. 

You’re just recapping what we did with the front seven. Not disputing that what we entered the season with was a failure. Which isn’t even a hot take and not at all reactionary. Most of us knew that front seven was going to be terrible.

And expanded role doesn’t mean success. It still hasn’t been disputed that no one from that draft other than Hollywood has made an impact. 

Several in our forum was excited to see Bowser and Williams take the next step. I think especially DMB and me had heated arguments about the subject of our edge players. Nevertheless, preseason gave reasons for optimism and front office and coaches believed our edge players to take a leap in absence of Suggs and our young linebackers to play fast and have a chance to build on especially Onwuasors good 2018 season.

When that didn't happen, they made a change. That is prime work after making a bad observation on the talent we had. EDC even got a trade out of a linebacker we didn't need/use.

In hindsight we could have used Smiths production, and it worked for Green Bay, good for them, they took a chance and we did what we always do - right player, right price.

Then later we took a swing on Earl Thomas, and missed, and based on that single decision, you are acting up, questioning if EDC should step back after a season, where he almost unanimously has been heralded as one of the young bright minds of the NFL GM's, also coming from a draft that was widely praised for getting good value. Now those players have to pan out, I don't know what success is to you, but his first draft gave us Marquise Brown who so far looks great. Boykin didn't do much as a receiver, but was very important as a blocker. Jaylon Ferguson came in raw, but ended up being a starter, and then we have Hill and Powers who can be rotational players as 4th rounders.

Then there was the Mekari addition, a rookie who changed position but did well enough that some consider we should have let Skura walk.

There was the Vedvik trade, a guy who has bounced around since, and we got Marcus Peters - great season, and Calais Campbell who could be a great player for late round picks.

If you can't see this is a job well done, then we see things very differently and you in my mind have absurd, high expectations to 1. year draft classes and in season aquisitions.

Edit: I forgot the Hayden Hurst trade that gave us a 2. round pick for what essentially was our third string TE, something which was praised by many, and if we go back I am one of the fans who criticized the move saying I didn't like it.

Then using it on Dobbins, a RB, is another move I didn't like. Like the player, don't like the value.

So don't call me a sheep, because I am not afraid to disagree with how the team proceeds. I just try to not overreact and play captain hindsight.

Edited by Danand
  • Like 1

On one hand, yeah I disagree that nobody saw Zadarius' season coming. On the other, that does not make DeCosta a poor GM and overall he has looked very good. Christ, even the above positive analysis of his 2019 draft forgets to mention that so many players do nothing as rookies - even if the returns were less than that right now, they could be very impressive in 2 or 3 years time. That they contributed that much in year one as a group is fantastic. 

All in all, he's done an extremely good job but not quite great - yet at least, since it's very early days in his tenure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, Billy86 said:

On one hand, yeah I disagree that nobody saw Zadarius' season coming. On the other, that does not make DeCosta a poor GM and overall he has looked very good. Christ, even the above positive analysis of his 2019 draft forgets to mention that so many players do nothing as rookies - even if the returns were less than that right now, they could be very impressive in 2 or 3 years time. That they contributed that much in year one as a group is fantastic. 

All in all, he's done an extremely good job but not quite great - yet at least, since it's very early days in his tenure.

The Ravens have a history of letting linebackers walk, and just about all of them are justified.  They have been a linebacker factory going back to when they drafted Lewis and Boulware.  It was only one season for Smith, he may regress or have something else derail his career like injuries.  Or maybe that doesn't happen, but Smith would be the first linebacker to leave via FA that earned his contract with another team.  

Also, DeCosta is having early returns on the WR position, something that Ozzie Newsome struggled with for his entire tenure as GM.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silver said:

1st round pick Patrick Queen: 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble.
2nd round pick J.K. Dobbins: 2 touchdowns.

These guys are only getting started. Bow down!

I mean, it's a bit dishonest to be listing the 2 TDs for Dobbins as if he had some great game. He only had 22 yards. Just happened to get the goalline carries on a successful offense.

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, it's a bit dishonest to be listing the 2 TDs for Dobbins as if he had some great game. He only had 22 yards. Just happened to get the goalline carries on a successful offense.

Meh. The Ravens Big 3 RBs only totaled 21 carries. The OL has guys getting tackled in the backfield all game, the run blocking was particularly putrid (though credit to the Browns run defense). JKD had the second longest run of the game and was the best RB out of a talented trio. It’s not as if he simply tripped into two TDs. He earned those carries because outside of a big gain by Gus Edwards when the game was already put away, Dobbins was the most productive back in the game.

I think you’re simply getting defensive because CEH had an impressive performance and feel the need to somehow sour the production of another back.

The comment was made in response to a thread that is about the lack of quality in the early returns of EDC as Ravens GM. Early returns on JKD has shown him to be the best RB in the game that just took place and he capped it off with 2 TDs, on only 7 carries. That’s good early return production to display that his second round selection seems to be a draft pick well spent. Which is the point of the post. If this were a comparison to another player, than perhaps your comment might hold merit about it being dishonest. It would be far more “dishonest” to claim a back who has only had 7 carries, but 2 of them ended up in TDs “just so happened to get the goal line carries” as if he just tripped into said production.