Did Ravens make a mistake replacing Ozzie?

DontTazeMeBro

21 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You just quoted me saying he agreed to it. 

Proof? Yes. I have multiple sources within the organization. One high ranking.

I quoted you posting an article that detailed a plan of succession, and explicitly stated that everything was all an organizational thing to ease Ozzie into retirement and DeCosta in the GM's chair.

To delve further--why did the Ravens want to force Ozzie out?

21 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Do you have proof that I don’t? And don’t even try to come at me with any conspiracy theorist nonsense about anonymous sources not being proof.

As far as we know, it's INCREDIBLY unlikely you're a sports reporter, or something like that.

But...ignore that bit of it all. I'm interested in why you think it was important to the Ravens to force Ozzie out? Did they feel he had done a bad job? Was there inter-office strife? What was the deal? 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 6:28 PM, Heinz D. said:

But...ignore that bit of it all. I'm interested in why you think it was important to the Ravens to force Ozzie out? Did they feel he had done a bad job? Was there inter-office strife? What was the deal? 

If I had to guess, I would say it had to do with Ozzie’s inability to adjust and properly incorporate the new nerdier side of football with analytics and such. Ozzie was far more stuck in his ways, making him less flexible in that aspect of team building. But his talent evaluation was still top notch.

I don’t think he was forced out, but I do get the sense that It was possible he was phased out. Initially there were rumors that Ozzie could leave and take a role with Alabama, Ozzie pretty much squashed them. However tracing those rumors back they definitely did originate around the same time that the team put that secret 5 year GM succession plan in place. Ozzie has mentioned in the past how he’s always planned to go back to Alabama in some capacity. 

So whether the AD role opening up at that point made Ozzie dream of gearing down his role with the Ravens (perhaps for a time in the future where such a future role might be within reach) and thus putting into place a succession plan for his own good; or if the team finally felt like there was too much FOMO with such a capable replacement in EDC available who was far more comfortable in incorporating the nerdier aspects into team building, I have no idea. But I certainly do think it was possible that the second scenario was the case and it simply inspired a mutual retirement where both scenario 1 and 2 became relevant.

Either way, Ozzie still works with the Ravens in some unnamed sort of advisory role, so I doubt it was something where he was particularly unhappy in his role with the team. Maybe he just wanted less responsibility, maybe they phased him out but told him they would love for him to stay around in an advisory role both actively recognizing his amazing ability as a talent evaluator while respectfully allowing an organizational legacy to “walk away from the team” at his own time. There’s no clear way to know, but Ozzie is an organizational legend either way. In some ways, I wonder if him being able to step away from the GM role has allowed him to watch more college football and scout more players, allowing him to more effectively help the organization as he builds back up the talent evaluation side of the front office. For years the Ravens front office had been poached of talent evaluators and they really began to take its toll on the organization drafts. Wouldn’t shock me if Ozzie’s advisory role is really one where he’s placed into a position to evaluate the talent evaluators and constructively teach these guys how to look at prospects.

Since 2016/2017 or so the Ravens drafts have really improved over some of the years prior. Wouldn’t surprise me if as Ozzie was phased out and EDC was being phased in more and more with each passing year, it gave Ozzie more time to improve the talent evaluation aspects and now the organization has been back to some pretty strong draft classes in recent seasons for that reason.

All of this is just me speculating due to the lack of information at our disposal... I certainly don’t have any sources within the building telling me any of this to be truth. Certainly fun to speculate though.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

So it's not just GB that has lunatic fans that see conspiracies behind every FO move.  Good to know.

What conspiracy? They were very open about it. Ozzie agreed to step down in 5 years because DeCosta wasn’t going to wait forever. Iirc he was really interested in the Green Bay job.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 8:06 PM, Silver said:

Because it gives me a place to show off my phat Photoshopping skills while proving the Ravens GM rocks.

EDCNEW2.jpg

Only change I’d make with your presentation here is to change the purple text to something closer to the Ravens purple hue.

Also I would perhaps consider adding a darker gradient over the Thanos layers to make his purple complexion slightly (and I mean slightly) darker and a little more menacing while also pairing a little more closely with the Ravens version of purple.

As it stands it seems to be more Vikings purple in the text... assuming you were going for a more Ravens oriented design scheme. But I suppose that’s an assumption on my part.

4 hours ago, Silver said:

So I guess this thread deserved a bump after the Yannick Ngakoue trade that Eric Decosta just made. 

Lol. You bump a thread and don’t even talk about it. Hey smart people, please have this discussion I’m not capable of.

I like the move but it’s only necessary because we left the position to McPhee and Bowser for the second year in a row.

I'd forgotten about this topic. Well, the Ravens have looked pretty damned good under DeCosta so the answer is obviously "no." They'd been planning to have him succeed Ozzie since at least 2011 when Bisciotti first mentioned it in an interview, so what's the big mystery supposed to be? Other teams would kill for that kind of stability in the front office.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Lol. You bump a thread and don’t even talk about it. Hey smart people, please have this discussion I’m not capable of.

I like the move but it’s only necessary because we left the position to McPhee and Bowser for the second year in a row.

Is that supposed to make sense?

Because it doesn't. 

• Like 2