FIRE LEBEAU!!!

ttitansfan4life

4 hours ago, VY said:

This I just don't understand. McCain has enough trouble with a team's #2 (see Moncrief), but asking him to cover Hopkins or Hilton is ludicrous. Ryan should be shadowing every #1, or if the coverage doesn't allow for that then Jackson at least. If we're gonna get burnt at least have a guy who can find his own a** take a shot. 

That was my biggest critique of the signing.  I said Ryan's strength was in the slot... but we needed an outside corner.  I was told by others that I was wrong and that he was great everywhere... but him being the primary slot guy again this year is proving that point (and that is not only a Titans thing since the same was true with NEP).

8 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I'm sure you were saying the same thing during the Texans game..... 

The exception rather than the rule.  

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

The defense held them pretty much the entire 2nd half while the offense continued to sputter after crossing the Colts 50 and kept settling for field goals.

As much crap as everyone is giving the D for it's performance, it allowed all of 16 points last night. It allowed 3 vs Jacksonville before garbage time. It allowed 14 to Seattle before garbage time.

The defense isn't great, and I totally get that the TExans performance is so bad it makes you wanna fire someone, cause it was truly putrid, but outside of that Texans game, it's been good enough. If the offense had the same red zone efficiency it had last year, we possibly beat Oakland and the Seattle game is never that close at the end even with prevent D.

Outside of that Houston game, I think LeBeau and the D have been fine. Not incredible, but fine.

Everyone keeps hanging their hat on that game.  I get it, it was disgraceful.  The defense obviously still has flaws... a mixture of players, coaching, and front office failures... but considering everything... it's been alright (outside that 1 game).  

Like I've said numerous times before... I'm not here saying LeBeau's still this genius that can do no wrong... I'm saying we knew the issues going into the offseason... and yet we didn't address them.

We need help against the pass.  So instead of addressing those needs exclusively, we:

• Prioritized CB, but instead of going for one of the purer coverage guys in FA, we went after a guy who's specialty is the slot, and who's strength is his play against the run (good in coverage, but not his "strength")
  • Went after a CB in the 1st... but we go with a guy who'd also probably be best in the slot... who we knew needed a lot of seasoning... and who only went in the 1st because of his STs dynamic ability
  • We signed a S... but instead of signing a S who's strength is the pass... we sign one who's almost exclusively an in-the-box safety.  
  • We overspend for a NT who's now a healthy scratch... when we had guys on rookie deals who have been just as good the past few years (and this)
  • Jayon Brown is the new bright spot here... he looks like a find.. has been strong in pass coverage... and alongside Woodyard, give us a solid pair at ILB.

So yeah, LeBeau's defense has left much to be desired... but he wasn't exactly given the tools to fix this issues... at least not all the way.  We could use new blood... like I said in another thread, Schiano of Ohio St. or the Bama DC would be attractive names.  But who else would be able to do much more with this D than LeBeau has done the past couple of seasons.  Like TL alluded to above, the Titans have given up 3 and 14 prior to garbage time in 2 of our wins... and now 16 in back to back games.  The defense is by no means great... but it's doing enough to win most weeks.  

I'm not going to sit here and crush LeBeau like I was during the first half in the GDT. But I will say, he just needs to get out of his own way sometimes. I don't know how they came up with the initial plan of attack for the Colts last night.

We don't have the players to stick in coverage a long time. We've seen that almost every week at this point. Week 1, when we'd drop back and ask our defenders to come up and make tackles, they'd constantly fail. Week 2, came out stacking the box and attacking Bortles on passing downs. Built a big lead, kept everything in front of us and that's when they got a bunch of garbage yards (this one isn't as much of a complaint). Week 3 was virtually the same thing as Week 2. Seahawks offense only got going once we got more conservative after getting a 16-point lead.

Week 4 was the Texans. Again, against a below average offensive line and a rookie quarterback, we didn't attack. We also routinely let McCain get matched up with Hopkins, which is just a complete coaching failure.

Week 5, defense played well. Also helps that Jay Cutler is totally broken.

And then last night. We spent the first half doing the same things that have worked at absolutely no point this season. Dropping back and playing coverage, not putting pressure on a bad offensive line or a young quarterback. They were showing Brissett's highlights while praising him at halftime and it felt like a total joke. He made maybe one tough throw in the first two quarters. I've said this multiple times, but we don't have the personnel to drop back and play coverage. It's not a coincidence that Brissett started looking bad when we started forcing him to make decisions at a reasonable pace.

This is an aggressive, zone blitzing team. It's our only hope at defensive success. That's been proven repeatedly this year. If we continue to insist on coming out conservative and only making the necessary changes in halftime, it's going to be a massive indictment on LeBeau.

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Jayon Brown is the new bright spot here... he looks like a find.. has been strong in pass coverage... and alongside Woodyard, give us a solid pair at ILB.

I so badly want to believe that Jayon Brown is our next big thing at LB. It's just that we have been burnt so many times with this lately. A young guy flashes a ton of potential only to fall off the face of the earth for some reason or another. Colin McCarthy, Zach Brown, Avery Williamson

What's wrong with Ryan playing in the slot. We've been killed by no name guys in the slot just as often as we've been killed by teams #1 WRs in previous years. We needed 3 new CBs.

Also, yes he played in the slot in NE, but he also specifically matched up against De'Andre Hopkins when the Patriots played the Texans. He played against teams more aggressive WRs several times for the Patriots. We're just too stupid to use him.

41 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I like the idea of Schiano. I think that would be a good fit for us. 

But we need a new OC too.

Not completely sold we need a new OC. He just needs to be better at understanding when we should be running some of those silly gadget plays and stop calling that shovel pass to Delanie twice in a game. Actually using our mauling OL inside the 10 to run it into the endzone. 

Be nice if he was more aware of the situation at times too. Even the announcers yesterday morning we're talking about how dumb it was that we were still calling those zone read plays with a Mariota that everyone in the stadium knew wasn't keeping that ball. 

4 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Even the announcers yesterday morning we're talking about how dumb it was that we were still calling those zone read plays with a Mariota that everyone in the stadium knew wasn't keeping that ball. 

This didn't actually bother me. If you're going to roll with a ton of shotgun runs, it doesn't hurt for him to go through the motion and at least make the Colts edge defender think about it.

With that said, I do have some problems with Robiskie, but I haven't found him to be overly terrible this year. Though that jet sweep with Delanie was absolutely terrible.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

This didn't actually bother me. If you're going to roll with a ton of shotgun runs, it doesn't hurt for him to go through the motion and at least make the Colts edge defender think about it.

With that said, I do have some problems with Robiskie, but I haven't found him to be overly terrible this year. Though that jet sweep with Delanie was absolutely terrible.

The jet sweep to Delanie sucked at the time, but it's actually what allowed DeMarco to score his TD later on in the game. Colts defenders bit on the fake to Delanie.

10 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I so badly want to believe that Jayon Brown is our next big thing at LB. It's just that we have been burnt so many times with this lately. A young guy flashes a ton of potential only to fall off the face of the earth for some reason or another. Colin McCarthy, Zach Brown, Avery Williamson

LBer and WR... Its like we're snake bitten. Can we once just hit at one of these positions for more than a season?! 

9 hours ago, TitanSS said:

What's wrong with Ryan playing in the slot. We've been killed by no name guys in the slot just as often as we've been killed by teams #1 WRs in previous years. We needed 3 new CBs.

Also, yes he played in the slot in NE, but he also specifically matched up against De'Andre Hopkins when the Patriots played the Texans. He played against teams more aggressive WRs several times for the Patriots. We're just too stupid to use him.

We also drafted Jackson with the idea that while Ryan shadows the bigger guys, he could stay on the faster, quicker guys like Hilton and Fuller.  That was the plan and we've deviated from it for a reason. Is it coach driven or player driven? 

9 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I like the idea of Schiano. I think that would be a good fit for us. 

But we need a new OC too.

I'd love the OC from Oklahoma. Was able to get Nixon and Perine to 1k each last year and sent his QB and a WR to NY as Heisman finalists. Not too shabby...

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

The jet sweep to Delanie sucked at the time, but it's actually what allowed DeMarco to score his TD later on in the game. Colts defenders bit on the fake to Delanie.

I've heard from a few guys that is a key to the offense... Plays that look the same with multiple options. In HS we used to run a similar, way more basic power I scheme. I32 was a FB run up the 2 gap with the qb continuing pretending to hand off to the tailback and then pretending to run play action on a boot. Then there was I28 which was the same play only with the fake to the FB and the handoff to the HB on a sweep. And then there was I17 or whatever the play was that carries on both fake handoffs and ended with the QB rolling out for a pass or take off option. Its a very simplistic comparison... But its that gist... Plays that look the same with different results... Theyre harder to execute when the threat from the QB isn't there though.

36 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I've heard from a few guys that is a key to the offense... Plays that look the same with multiple options. In HS we used to run a similar, way more basic power I scheme. I32 was a FB run up the 2 gap with the qb continuing pretending to hand off to the tailback and then pretending to run play action on a boot. Then there was I28 which was the same play only with the fake to the FB and the handoff to the HB on a sweep. And then there was I17 or whatever the play was that carries on both fake handoffs and ended with the QB rolling out for a pass or take off option. Its a very simplistic comparison... But its that gist... Plays that look the same with different results... Theyre harder to execute when the threat from the QB isn't there though.

yeah it's been written multiple times that our run game is probably the most multiple in the NFL in terms of formations and looks and that's a big key to our success.

robiskie gets way too cute sometimes but i think we could do a lot worse. lebeau, on the other hand, i still see as a liability at this point.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:19 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

That was my biggest critique of the signing.  I said Ryan's strength was in the slot... but we needed an outside corner.  I was told by others that I was wrong and that he was great everywhere... but him being the primary slot guy again this year is proving that point (and that is not only a Titans thing since the same was true with NEP).

He's actually done well matched up against #1's though for the most part. What I can't tell is if it's a coaching decision, or if he's too passive to speak up and say, "Put me on their best guy." There has to be some element of that to make that call. 

Archived