Covid19 Megathread: Titans Shutting Down Facilities Due to Many (8) Positive Tests

BobbyPhil1781

I posted this in the TAST forum but felt since it'll be a factor all season, might as well have a topic for discussion purposes as it was OK'd by an MOD.

A lot of teams altered their practices based on Saturday covid test results:

Turns out it was a bunch of nothing as every test that stated a player was positive was in fact, incorrect.

Bears had 9 false positives, Jets had 11, Browns had a few also. A total of 77 false positives were recorded:

The training camp bubbles are seemingly working but once the season gets underway, I don't see how we can avoid this.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Good news that they were actually found negative, but look what happens when some positive tests come back - everything is thrown out/cancelled. 

Can't see a full season happening at this stage.

Neither does the NFL. But whether its 16 or 12 or 9 games, they're going to complete it barring a massive and sustained outbreak.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/27/roger-goodell-keeps-referring-to-a-complete-not-full-season/

Twice since Friday, the Commissioner has referred to the NFL’s plans for 2020 not in terms of a “full season” but a “complete season.” It’s probably not a mistake.

A complete season ends with the presentation of a Lombardi Trophy. In 1982, the NFL played a complete season, albeit with only nine regular-season games. In 1987, the complete season consisted of one lost week and three games played with replacements.

Edited by 49ersfan

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Good news that they were actually found negative, but look what happens when some positive tests come back - everything is thrown out/cancelled. 

Can't see a full season happening at this stage.

I absolutely agree and this is why I feel colleges are literally insane for saying they're going to have fall ball. It's hard enough w/ thousands of semi-responsible adults but you have hundreds of thousands of irresponsible college kids and you think this will work? Nah, it's not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, August4th said:

Wow so they've backed out of their initial claim w/ no fans. Good for them. This can work and should work. I don't see why they're not doing it at baseball games already. Strategically sell tickets so that you can distance, have people monitor bathrooms and no concession stands to be opened. Instead, have employees check on people every 15 minutes or so and ask if they want items from limited selections of food and snacks this way you can get some revenue from there. It gives people a chance to get out, it gives employees work, players obviously would prefer to play in front of fans, and you can force everyone to wear a mask or kick them TF out.

I believe MLS is already doing this and haven't heard anything negative from it.

This will absolutely work IMO. But, again, force people to wear masks.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is such a cluster.

Just wait until Moderna/Pfizer/AstraZeneca is done. Pushing games back two months is not the end of the world.

This is absolutely what should be done. I know we're itching for football but athletes can be considered priority (after front line, most susceptible/high risk etc etc) when the vaccines are released then we can have something to entertain us until it's ready for us plebs.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is such a cluster.

Just wait until Moderna/Pfizer/AstraZeneca is done. Pushing games back two months is not the end of the world.

For us...no.

The billions lost by the league seems like end times for them, though.

The tests are terrible, unreliable and were never designed as a diagnostic instrument in the first place. They can record anything up to 75% false positives according to some studies, and will regularly test the same sample positive and then negative on successive days. I won't bore you all with the details, but the PCR process was designed as a replication, amplification and reproduction tool - not a diagnostic one. They have never been fit for purpose, and are actively making the problem worse in many ways.

As far as waiting for a vaccine to be done, good luck with that. It takes years to make an effective vaccine, and with many viruses it's impossible (see SARS and MERS, which are both also coronaviruses). Any vaccine produced in less than year will be very poorly tested, have had NO long term testing at all, and will likely be ineffective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is such a cluster.

For real. Pfizer has an FDA meeting in late October, and it should be a formality that we have at least 1 functioning vaccine after that. 

4 minute offense time. Take a knee and run out the clock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is such a cluster.

I understand the dangers, i really do. But we know that UV kills it, so if it can be done correctly, i dont see why we should give it a chance. But there has to be strict/stringent rule sets in place at all time, and more than enough to enforce those rules... that includes concessions and restrooms.