Covid19 Megathread: Titans Shutting Down Facilities Due to Many (8) Positive Tests

BobbyPhil1781

55 minutes ago, August4th said:

wonder what these numbers will look like once camp ends. wonder if the NFL will consider having teams stay at their camps for the whole season.

There's no way they can ask that of the players, to be away from their families that long. At least I don't think. The NFL is too hard to keep in a bubble unless they've figured out something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There's no way they can ask that of the players, to be away from their families that long. At least I don't think. The NFL is too hard to keep in a bubble unless they've figured out something.

the NBA is making that ask

• Like 1

Players being allowed to go home, interact with the public, interact with families, other people, have a normal life and not be contained inside a bubble yet still being responsible and not testing positive is saying a lot for me in terms of this season finishing. They're clearly being serious about this threat and want to play football.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

But they're playing in a centralized location. I am also unaware but how long is the NBA doing this for? Another month so two months total? The NFL season takes 5 to finish. You're asking people to be away for 5 months (some less, I understand) and then travel to each location as well so there's no bubble. That part is impossible. Maybe they'll pull it off somehow but I don't see people holding the responsibility this virus requires..... looking at Zeke and Dak for starters.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

But they're playing in a centralized location. I am also unaware but how long is the NBA doing this for? Another month so two months total? The NFL season takes 5 to finish. You're asking people to be away for 5 months (some less, I understand) and then travel to each location as well so there's no bubble. That part is impossible. Maybe they'll pull it off somehow but I don't see people holding the responsibility this virus requires..... looking at Zeke and Dak for starters.....

the finals are slated to end mid October, so it will be July to October. 

50 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

the finals are slated to end mid October, so it will be July to October. 

450 players in one central location vs 1,700 players traveling around. You're also being extremely (understatement) generous with July considering they started the 30th. So we're really looking at 2.5 months vs 4.5 months (some more) of the NFL. 

If you think this is possible, that's good. There's reasons to. I just don't see it happening. I really want it to happen though. Like ET said, give us two extra months, let science do it's thing, and let's go. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

The tests are terrible, unreliable and were never designed as a diagnostic instrument in the first place. They can record anything up to 75% false positives according to some studies, and will regularly test the same sample positive and then negative on successive days. I won't bore you all with the details, but the PCR process was designed as a replication, amplification and reproduction tool - not a diagnostic one. They have never been fit for purpose, and are actively making the problem worse in many ways.

As far as waiting for a vaccine to be done, good luck with that. It takes years to make an effective vaccine, and with many viruses it's impossible (see SARS and MERS, which are both also coronaviruses). Any vaccine produced in less than year will be very poorly tested, have had NO long term testing at all, and will likely be ineffective. 

The last part with SARS and MERS is a little misleading given that they ended up disappearing and people stopped caring about making a vaccine.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not even apples and oranges.

The NBA killed close to 10 teams before they even started up their bubble, and each team has about 15 players vs the 53 man roster housed by an NFL team. The NFL has bigger coaching staffs, bigger training staff, bigger equipment manager staffs...

An NBA team might consist of about 25 people, player and non-player personnel. An NFL team is 4-5 times that... and that's over 32 teams, not 22 like the NBA shuttled in.

You'd also have to find a confined space with 10+ Football fields in close proximity to one another to get every team playing a regular schedule - unless you're scheduling games on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday. 

A bubble might work for the NFL come playoff time, but that's it. It's logistically impossible to pull this off for 32 teams over a 16 game schedule.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You'd also have to find a confined space with 10+ Football fields in close proximity to one another to get every team playing a regular schedule - unless you're scheduling games on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday. 

A bubble might work for the NFL come playoff time, but that's it. It's logistically impossible to pull this off for 32 teams over a 16 game schedule.

Didn't even think about this and unless they'd have to have some form of revenue sharing bc there's no way in hell Jerry is letting the Cowboys play anywhere other than ATT stadium and he wouldn't be the only owner to say this. Mark Davis comes to mind also since they just invested a small amount of money in Vegas. 

Hopefully by playoff time, the best scenario would've presented itself and the players would be vaccinated and can do their normal routine. 

I really wish the higher ups would just delay this a little bit like you suggested. You still get a full season so they lose no money, you get more opportunity to get fans in the stands, and we continue to progress with treatments and vaccines. To me, it seems like common sense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xenos said:

The last part with SARS and MERS is a little misleading given that they ended up disappearing and people stopped caring about making a vaccine.

It might have gone from the headlines, but for years after the initial outbreak they were still trying, and failing, to make a vaccine. Vaccinations for viruses are incredibly hard to make, because they mutate so fast and are so hard to detect. A lot of "science" in the popular press on virology is incredibly basic. For example no one seems to really understand how small a single virion is - we're talking nanometres here. Totally invisible to anything but electron-microscopy. Using masks to stop their spread is like using chickenwire to keep out mosquitoes.

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Using masks to stop their spread is like using chickenwire to keep out mosquitoes.

If a virus only spread through surface contact and floating in the air only by itself, this might be true. Unfortunately the virus is transmitted by being able to survive in fluid droplets which people exhale and are magnitudes larger, therefore being able to travel further from the source (because they are not just pushed around by Brownian motion). These "large" (think microns) carrier droplets can be filtered by masks and reduce spread.

So if you had a bunch of lazy mosquitoes who hang around the chicken's pen and don't really bother you, you wouldn't put up a chickenwire fence. But if those mosquitoes would figure out to just latch onto your chicken who you allow pecking around your porch and start biting you, you wouldn't think twice about enclosing the coop.

Edited by LD696
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

450 players in one central location vs 1,700 players traveling around. You're also being extremely (understatement) generous with July considering they started the 30th. So we're really looking at 2.5 months vs 4.5 months (some more) of the NFL. 

If you think this is possible, that's good. There's reasons to. I just don't see it happening. I really want it to happen though. Like ET said, give us two extra months, let science do it's thing, and let's go. 

The only way I can see the NFL adopting something similar to what the NBA is doing is they will have to have all the games at more than one indoor facility with artificial turf so 17 games a week can be played.  Perhaps the AFC teams would be at one and NFC at another.

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The only way I can see the NFL adopting something similar to what the NBA is doing is they will have to have all the games at more than one indoor facility with artificial turf so 17 games a week can be played.  Perhaps the AFC teams would be at one and NFC at another.

Like I said in a previous post, you're right, but if it's not AT&T Stadium, you think Jerry will allow that? I know every other owner isn't as stubborn as him but the Raiders just spent tons of money in Vegas also. Obviously revenue sharing would be needed and you'd have to allow people to suggest being away from their families for 5 months then do you allow them to go home for Xmas? I agree it would work but not sure how the owners and players would feel about it. They really just need to delay the start of the season to the beginning of November to let science do it's thing, forget about the combine and hold that draft as normal or maybe push it back a few weeks. Then they can do a regular season, regular timeline next year. This would allow everyone to have their games, even allow some fans, and not fear transmission as much. We're looking to have vaccines ready close to then. Pretty sure we can put aside 2k of them for players and personnel as long as front line, highest risk etc get their's first b/c no one else should.