Covid19 Megathread: Titans Shutting Down Facilities Due to Many (8) Positive Tests

BobbyPhil1781

23 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There's no way they can ask that of the players, to be away from their families that long. At least I don't think. The NFL is too hard to keep in a bubble unless they've figured out something.

You can't ask players to be away from their families for a few months for millions and millions of dollars? 

Oh, the horror. I ain't saying it to be contrarian or even rude, but we're shoving kids in classes with teachers and not really caring about the consequences... seems like NFL players would have it pretty easy. Just feels stubborn to me to try to force an NFL season in... jesus, it would be starting in 2 weeks, wouldn't it?

Edited by Troy Brown
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

but we're shoving kids in classes with teachers and not really caring about the consequences... seems like NFL players would have it pretty easy.

This is a solid point. Kids are dying, but in person school must go on I guess. Meanwhile NFL players, who had the option to opt out, being away from their families while making millions seems pretty small in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

This is a solid point. Kids are dying, but in person school must go on I guess. Meanwhile NFL players, who had the option to opt out, being away from their families while making millions seems pretty small in comparison. 

What kids exactly?  You do know the pediatric death rate is statistically zero right?  That more kids will die from the flu this year in the US, than will die from covid-19 worldwide?  The fear with putting kids back in school is that they are little germ carriers and the danger they present to faculty and staff, not really to each other.  As for danger to the kids, it is far more hurtful keeping them at home sacrificing their education, and social wellbeing than the risk of them catching coronavirus. /rant

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What kids exactly?  You do know the pediatric death rate is statistically zero right?  That more kids will die from the flu this year in the US, than will die from covid-19 worldwide?  The fear with putting kids back in school is that they are little germ carriers and the danger they present to faculty and staff, not really to each other.  As for danger to the kids, it is far more hurtful keeping them at home sacrificing their education, and social wellbeing than the risk of them catching coronavirus. /rant

I agree that the death rate is minuscule and its more that kids will spread the disease, but even one death is too high a price for kids being a year or two behind in school

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/dph-14-year-old-georgia-girl-dies-from-covid-19

I bet the parents of that girl would rather have a socially stunted daughter who finishes high school late than a dead one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I agree that the death rate is minuscule and its more that kids will spread the disease, but even one death is too high a price for kids being a year or two behind in school

I bet the parents of that girl would rather have a socially stunted daughter who finishes high school late than a dead one. 

That's anecdotal, and unfortunately kids die, they die more often from the flu and we dont shut down school.  By your logic kids should never go back to school bc they give each other the flu and 1 death is too high of a price to pay.  I'm sure the parents would have their daughter back, I'm sure all the parents who have lost children for whatever reason would like to have their child back, but we are talking about society not the individual, and it would do much more harm to keep kids out of school.  

As for the athletes they have all been able to make a choice, as we all should be able to, and they have a much better choice to make as they are still getting a stipend if they opted out.  Many Americans right now are suffering bc they weren't given a choice.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

It might have gone from the headlines, but for years after the initial outbreak they were still trying, and failing, to make a vaccine. Vaccinations for viruses are incredibly hard to make, because they mutate so fast and are so hard to detect. A lot of "science" in the popular press on virology is incredibly basic. For example no one seems to really understand how small a single virion is - we're talking nanometres here. Totally invisible to anything but electron-microscopy. Using masks to stop their spread is like using chickenwire to keep out mosquitoes.

Not really. The virus particles are small but they travel in respiratory droplets, which are much bigger. Masks serve to greatly reduce the spread of droplets, especially large droplets, which have more particles (naturally). Viral load matters a lot when it comes to fighting the virus off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Just an FYI about kids and saying the death rate will be lower than the flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html?fbclid=IwAR0Ew6hH1wlhE1fnKkkhUudQG4Y7XnIlfLYTp-X2zI-NpTAJ9EpzAsJyCYc

Due to community mitigation measures and school closures, transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to and among children may have been reduced in the United States during the pandemic in the spring and early summer of 2020. This may explain the low incidence in children compared with adults. Comparing trends in pediatric infections before and after the return to in-person school and other activities may provide additional understanding about infections in children.

In other words, we won’t really know the true pediatric death rate or how dangerous it is until all mitigation are lifted and we test their dead bodies afterwards.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Just an FYI about kids and saying the death rate will be lower than the flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html?fbclid=IwAR0Ew6hH1wlhE1fnKkkhUudQG4Y7XnIlfLYTp-X2zI-NpTAJ9EpzAsJyCYc

In other words, we won’t really know the true pediatric death rate until all mitigation are lifted and we test their dead bodies afterwards.

also, we know how to treat the flu and have a vaccine. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

We always hear about people testing positive, but what is the death rate these days?  My understanding is that it is lower than the death rate for the flu, and we don't put teams in a bubble to keep from getting the flu. 

The CDC's current estimate is 0.26%, which is worse than an average flu season but better than a severe one. Of course that's across all ages and demographics, for people under 60 and/or with no pre-existing conditions,  it's substantially lower than that. Essentially players are in very, very little danger from it.

The trouble with figuring the death rate is the number of asymptomatic infections. Obviously the more people who have it and never get sick, the lower the fatality rate, but nobody can know for sure what those numbers are (for obvious reasons). Some statistical studies have estimated the death rate to be as low as 0.05% (which is actually better than the flu).

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Socially stunted? Kids are dying of mental illness at alarming rates. It’s the entire reason why the American Academy of Peds recommends returning to school...the risk of COVID death is much lower than the consequences of mental illness and other significant public health concerns in the school age group. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I would prefer to keep this about NFL related talk since there's already a general covid thread in TAST. I'm not in any position to make such suggestions though. 

You right, thats my bad. I shall take the blame.

Lets keep all talk about the impact on the season, I know its a fine line but we can do it. For those you want to go deeper, here is your spot:

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You right, thats my bad. I shall take the blame.

Lets keep all talk about the impact on the season, I know its a fine line but we can do it. For those you want to go deeper, here is your spot:

My bad as well.

54 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I would prefer to keep this about NFL related talk since there's already a general covid thread in TAST. I'm not in any position to make such suggestions though. 

Sorry 😐