Covid19 Megathread: Titans Shutting Down Facilities Due to Many (8) Positive Tests

BobbyPhil1781

45 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Sorry 😐 

I didn't want to call it out or make anyone feel bad bc it's easy to get off topic from general NFL discussion. Just not trying to get it locked lol. We'll have plenty to talk about soon regarding this subject.... unfortunately

• Like 1

I personally question any test results coming from the NFL or anywhere else at this point. 

This particular pandemic is uncharted territory for all of us in the US and has only been around for ~8 months and we still don't even have a vaccine for it.  So how much do we really know about it?

I'm mean, sure, we're continuing to learn more as time passes, but in terms similar to software programming, we're not even at the Alpha stage yet based on what we DO and DO NOT know. 

Sort of going back to ET's point about the difference between the NBA and NFL "bubble".

How do you try to control a new virus (that you know is VERY easily contagious) among people who are still learning about it by placing roughly ~400 staff/players into a single environment, PLUS fans.  

I don't care what "policies" they have in place. It may seem like a good plan on paper but the staff, players, and fans are not going to follow it.

We've seen this happen already. People ignoring certain protocols and rules that were put in place to help society get past this but they continue to brush it off. 

And I have no doubt that we'll see the same thing happen with with staff, players and fans if/when the NFL starts. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

also, we know how to treat the flu and have a vaccine. 

Unfortunately flu vaccines are not fool-proof.  Viruses mutate so even if you get immunized you can still get the flu.  😕

Oops.  Sorry.  I don't want to derail this thread.   😔

Edited by Pugger

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Unfortunately flu vaccines are not fool-proof.  Viruses mutate so even if you get immunized you can still get the flu.  😕

We can circle this back. A lot of people have this idea in their head that a vaccine for COVID = immunity. As you say for flu, that is not the case and will not be for Covid either. Putting off the season for a few months waiting for a purposed vaccine to come through really isnt the answer. While a vaccine will lower the risk of death and long term effects of COVID-19, it still will not be safe. The goal beyond that with a vaccine is herd immunity. This is one of the reasons why the flu seasons have gotten worse because anti-vax and general disinterest in getting the flu shot is declining and herd immunity is suffering because of it. That has to be a factor when considering COVID-19 vaccines, but more related to football, herd immunity takes time once the vaccine is introduced. Like a very large portion of time. If you are going to have the season, I don't think waiting a few months will make a difference. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, Pugger said:

It’s still better than nothing. If I was a player, I would get the flu vaccine as soon as possible because you can still catch the flu on top of Covid. Whatever mitigation can only help on top of masks, social distancing, sanitation etc. Have as many security measures as possible.

Edited by Xenos

The NFL need to get a new test provider. And the players need to be held accountable if there’s going to be a season. After that it’s a lot of Hail Marys and prayers and luck.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

The NFL need to get a new test provider. And the players need to be held accountable if there’s going to be a season. After that it’s a lot of Hail Marys and prayers and luck.

As a Vikings fan, all I can say to that is: NOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!  :D

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The entire team was re-tested Saturday, and the results will come back Sunday morning. As NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reminds, "all NFL players wear tracking devices all day in the facility," and as long as "no one was within six feet for 15-plus minutes, tests positive or shows symptoms, no impact on anyone else’s status for game day."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Such nonsense.🤣

How is it nonsense? Contact tracing is a HUGE part of keeping football running. They know who AJ was in contact with and for how long. They can prioritize testing instead of just testing everyone and they know exactly who to quarantine. 

• Like 2