Sign in to follow this  
Karnage84

'Because it's August' 2021 Lions Mock Draft

As the summer is coming towards an end and football season is approaching (maybe?), it's time for a 2021 mock. I used The Draft Network for player rankings. I assumed the Lions would finish somewhere in the middle of the pack for this purpose. Whether they are 7-9 or 9-7, I don't see the Lions FO moving on from Patricia/Quinn as long as they are in this range or lower. I suspect that a QB would be the target for either a MP/BQ continuation or for a new regime coming in. I built in that the team had acquired an additional 3rd somewhere along the way. 

1 (15) Jalen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh

Twyman bears some resemblance to former Pitt Panther/Detroit fans favourite re-draft target Aaron Donald. Should help add some pass rush up the middle as a 3T or even slide out as a 5T.

2 (47) Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan

Big bodied and athletic. Could be Decker's replacement or slide in at RT providing the team versatility along the line.

3 (72) Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

For a team that wants to control the clock and run the ball, Harris provides great value. If the Lions do draft a RB this high it means that Kerryon still struggled with injuries. Harris provides size and power that is complimentary to a guy like Swift. 

3 (79) Ronnie Perkins, Edge, Oklahoma

A developmental prospect with prototypical Lions size, has the skills to be in the mix at the edge. 

4 (103) Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson

A former presumed top 64 pick, Ross has struggled with injuries. Has the potential to outplay his draft spot opposite of KG.

5 (142) Tariq Thompson, S, San Diego State

Starting safety and nickelback for the Aztecs. Offers decent size for the position. Is a strong tackler and special teams player. 

6 (174) Naquan Jones, DT, Michigan State

Big bodied and athletic. Has potential to be a run stuffer and offer up something as a pass rusher. With the Big Ten shutting things down for the fall, the bigger issue will be sample size. 

Not a huge Perkins fan. He has some potential but I would look elsewhere. Obviously this far out it’s conceptual.......I really like Ross but unless Quinn gets busy signing Jones they will need a more certain performer at WR. I’m not a fan of drafting guys with injury histories.

This season may provide a surprise in the pass rush but I expect pass rush to be their biggest need next season. One thing is certain they certainly have a great deal of work to do.

If KJ gets injured and Swift disappoints  a RB may be in the mix again.  Harris would be a good choice. At this point the secondary is a significant concern. Hopefully the changes at LB offer up more competency in coverage.

I don’t see them taking an OT high. Deckers new contract has way to much guaranteed money and they put out the money for Halapoulivaati as well. Crosby is competent as a backup.

Its great to see a mock draft this early. It’s a hard thing to visualize this far out.