Week 4 Ups/Downs

MOSteelers56

Ups:
Bell looking like he's knocked the rust off.
Offensive line looked great.
The defense looked stout.
Shazier, Watt, Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward looking good and healthy
Hilton is a playmaker.
No garbage time TD given up.
We finally won in Baltimore and in my first GDT.
Pats lose.
1st place in the North is good.

Downs:
The offense ran well but the passing game was out of sync.
Ben's forcing throws.
Ben took some hits.
Defense is still giving up big plays on the ground.

At least the team woke up.  That is a start, albeit against a team that might not be quite as good as we were expecting, time will tell.  

Up

1. Bell

2. OL

3. JuJu

4. Ben for not forcing passes to AB

5. coach appears to have the team starting to get ready

fouts comparing JuJu to Ward, sounds good to me.

Bryant had a good game as well. If this Offence wakes up and plays near potential, it could spell many losses for the opponents, just too many weapons.

Down

1. Letting the Raven get back into the game

2. Bos missed ?

3. thought we would have had a better run D, and that one run ruined the game for that

no much else, we won and appear to be potentially legit anyways.

I'm just going to use this spot to rant about the godawful officiating. Two booth reviews. The "interception" and then the two point conversion that was taken away from Baltimore. Both were reversals of the calls on the field. Both were, in my view, clearly wrong. The NFL has someone in a central location making these decisions which, in theory, should produce more consistency. In a season where the theme of replay has been to let the play stand without conclusive evidence, how the hell do they decide to overturn the on-field call twice on those of all plays?

I've never seen a ruling like the Brown one. You decide that it wasn't a catch, and thus it was a deflected ball instead of down by contact. This league is a joke.

Up
Bell- getting back to form even behind bad OL play
Shazier- havoc
Heyward- havoc
Smith Shuster- greatest TD celebration ever
Hilton- havoc

Down
Haley
Tomlin for not firing Haley or Benching Brown
Villanueva/Hubbard. terrible run blocking
Ben- missed too many easy throws
Penalties, penalties, penalties

I have an issue with it. Part of the offenses problems stem from forcing the ball to him. And as good as he is, his numbers are inflated by it and I don't buy that it's just passion. This isn't a guy who just cares about winning. I think Brown is childish and greedy. People put up with it for obvious reasons and it's never blown up in a major way, but for this offense to improve it needs to distribute the ball to other playmakers. And part of the reason Roethlisberger does it is because he knows full well how his teammate Brown will react if he doesn't get his touches.

On the play in question, Roethlisberger had already held onto the ball for a considerable length of time before Brown was even close to breaking free. He started off scanning left and moved right. He was already winding up to throw when the rub allowed Brown to break free. So, point being here that the timing of the play was off and the decision was made before the Ravens coverage broke down and Brown ran free. Despite Fouts making a big thing about it. It was the exact sort of play where people complain that Roethlisberger needs to have the ball out already when something bad happens/he's sacked. He had already taken one of those on the first series.

When Roethlisberger does retire, Brown may end up choking Haley on the sidelines before the golf pro gets canned.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Brown losing his cool on the sidelines?     

My wife thought it was a bad look, and I know certain people will use it against him but I agree with his emotion tbh. Ben has been playing like crap in the deep game and every single game has either not seen a completely wide open 50+ yarder (or TD) or overthrown it at least 3 times.

Ben from a couple years ago would have like 6 to 10 more TD's already.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

0 problem with it.  In fact I wish he would have lost it with Ben.  He (Ben) needs it right now.

I think this is pretty silly considering the play it happened on,  the route took too long to develop and Ben was already rolling and looking in the other direction.   By the time AB broke free, Ben was already looking the other direction.

And he is supposed to be a leader on this team.  He isnt 23 anymore.     Ben has made him alot of money and in general, Ben's accuracy issues havent really been balls thrown towards AB.   Not saying there shouldnt be any frustration on ABs part, but the way he blew up, you would think we were an 0-4 team and that every pass thrown his way was off target.

Bottom line.....I dont have an issue with him showing SOME frustration, but his frustration came across as immature and whiny that he wasnt getting his stats.

UPs:

Bell finally got it rolling.  He looked like the stud he has been in the past again today. 
The pass rush was pretty good from a host of guys.
Having Tuitt and Watt back was great.
Shazier is a monster.  LOVE that guy when he's healthy.  He's all over the place.  
A WIN IN BALTIMORE!!!

DOWNs:

Brown acting like a spoiled little baby when Ben didn't see him.
The refs on that completed pass over turning it into an INT.  I know I had to have had the same look on my face that Ben had on his after that call.
Giving up the long runs.
Wilcox and Mitchell need replaced.
The passing game still isn't really clicking.

I wonder if Maxx Williams would be available for trade if the Ravens are deactivating him on game day.  He had some tremendous catches in college.  Surprising he's not doing more with them than he apparently is.  

Forgot another up:  MIKE HILTON.  Sack, INT, he's a scrappy, tenacious little bugger.  

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think this is pretty silly considering the play it happened on,  the route took too long to develop and Ben was already rolling and looking in the other direction.   By the time AB broke free, Ben was already looking the other direction.

And he is supposed to be a leader on this team.  He isnt 23 anymore.     Ben has made him alot of money and in general, Ben's accuracy issues havent really been balls thrown towards AB.   Not saying there shouldnt be any frustration on ABs part, but the way he blew up, you would think we were an 0-4 team and that every pass thrown his way was off target.

Bottom line.....I dont have an issue with him showing SOME frustration, but his frustration came across as immature and whiny that he wasnt getting his stats.

Part of the reason why I have 0 problem with it is AB did exactly what he does in every scrabble drill. Deep Center. He was wide open.  And in the past Ben had his eyes downfield for there, and this year he doesn’t. 

Ben needs a wake up call. I would have been ok with any of the WRs losing it on that play. That was a bad job by Ben. He locked on Bell as soon as protection broke down. 

Ok now that I'm more awake, I can add more, and I can add some evidence as to why I'm not mad:

Pause this at 0:12, and tell me what you see: The play in question

I see Ben, standing untouched in the pocket, staring down AB, with nothing but green in front of AB.  Instead Ben turns into Cable Alex Smith and takes the checkdown and misses the throw.  I have 0 problem with it.  AB is a passionate player and wants to win.  Yes he wants to get his stats, but he talks more about how it's about the win than him.  

If he were actually covered and threw this fit, I think I would be more in agreement with you.  But he was WIDE OPEN and Ben was IN THE POCKET!  100% justified.

Archived