Week 4 Ups/Downs

MOSteelers56

On 10/2/2017 at 7:38 AM, warfelg said:

Part of the reason why I have 0 problem with it is AB did exactly what he does in every scrabble drill. Deep Center. He was wide open.  And in the past Ben had his eyes downfield for there, and this year he doesn’t. 

Ben needs a wake up call. I would have been ok with any of the WRs losing it on that play. That was a bad job by Ben. He locked on Bell as soon as protection broke down. 

Ok now that I'm more awake, I can add more, and I can add some evidence as to why I'm not mad:

Pause this at 0:12, and tell me what you see: The play in question

I see Ben, standing untouched in the pocket, staring down AB, with nothing but green in front of AB.  Instead Ben turns into Cable Alex Smith and takes the checkdown and misses the throw.  I have 0 problem with it.  AB is a passionate player and wants to win.  Yes he wants to get his stats, but he talks more about how it's about the win than him.  

If he were actually covered and threw this fit, I think I would be more in agreement with you.  But he was WIDE OPEN and Ben was IN THE POCKET!  100% justified.

So. I 100% agree with his emotion, and how he would feel slighted, and how aggravated and pi$$ed off he must have been; as a fan, I am upset that Ben lost that easy '6'. What I do not agree with is his actions. He is making it hard to like him as a person when he pulls antics like this, and the Facebook video, etc. He needs to understand that he is a role model, whether he wants to be or not; and he just condoned, to every pee-wee and high school player in the country that it's 'acceptable' to throw a tantrum if you don't get your way. Some of you may feel I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but face it, there are a lot of kids between the age of 6 and what, 13(?) that are very impressionable, and a lot of High School Football players that are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, who have a hard time, or can't/won't distinguish(ing) right from wrong.

But more worrisome as a fan, to me, is Ben. Bottom line is, Ben is off his game this year, and he probably just needs to retire after this season; his heart just is not in it.

AB isn't a perfect person but hes one of the best to ever play wide receiver.  Whether you like it or not his level of selfishness is one of the things that has made him as good as he is.  His reaction on the field won't be a distraction at all, everyone on this team knows who AB is. Ben throwing shade on his radio show is more annoying but just as inconsequential.  Everyone on this team knows who Ben is as well. 

You have this sort of thing when you have a lot of Type A personality Diva's!!!!!!!  Ben is more passive aggressive in things that he does now, but we remember when he was younger and more boisterous/rebellious as well. It is harder for many Old Schooler's like myself to understand some of the drama of today's athletes and the press who promote it.

When all is said and done, Ben and AB will be fine. They are one of the top duo's in the history of the game the past several season's. It is like a marriage; you will have some moments or misunderstandings.  Look for a typical bounce back between the two of  them with AB having between 7  and 10 catches, 2 TD's and a bug hug. I am waiting for Ben to reconnect with Bryant.  On a positive note, he has been showing love to Ju Ju especially in the red zone.

"Im not calling anyone out....but here is the name of a player I think is being a distraction"

lol

Actual QB Talk: "Its something that we talked about and dealt with in house. AB is just a competitor and wants to help the team win. That's all. Just a general frustration with feeling like he wasn't able to help. I know who he is, we all know what he can do - he is the best in the league. We will get better."

I tell you what:

the more I watch that play the more I think that the play design was for AB to turn it upfield like that. Just the hard cut he made was not a last minute decision. That was play design and it worked brilliantly. I think that’s why he mad. They’ve been setting that rub post off the cross all season, it works, and Ben does t throw it. 

55 minutes ago, jebrick said:

AB and i think Ben have said that is the way the play is designed.  But ben was already scrambling when AB broke up field.  Had Ben held the ball 1 more second, and was watching AB there is a chance.

Ben was in the pocket the entire time. Look at the video I posted. 

No one even actually called it a play designed. Brown said it was something they practice. As in, the play is at its end, Brown is to turn up field. In isolate, Brown is right. In the context of this game with what the coaches wanted, Ben is absolutely right. And it pains me that people are doubting this given all the evidence on the table. This was not an aggressive gameplan at all. And I still firmly believe this isn't a Brown vs. Ben thing at all. I think Brown's actual anger was directed more at the coaches and the situation.

Brown may have a better long term point. But he is the one bucking the organization/coaches here. Just know that if you are defending him. Well, I can't say that for certain. There is a poor dynamic on the offense, and it's not because of a lack of talent at WR or QB.

Archived