Rookie RBs

Humble_Beast

what is your outlook on the rookie RBS? (ppr)

• CEH- its a bit of a gamble, but I see him as a solid 1st round pick. He's a talented back and that offense is unstoppable. He is also great at catching the ball
  • J Taylor- hes a beast behind the best oline in football. I been seeing on YouTube people hyping him in the 3rd. I just don't know because Mack is still there. Mack is a good football player when he is healthy. I like Taylor but 3rd is rich for me, because his role is not defined
  • D Swift- I like his situation better, K Johnson is already in a walking boot. Is he a home run pick in the 5th or 6th?
  • C Akers- is he the man in LA? another home run pick in the 5th or 6th? The offensive line sucks
  • Ke'Shawn Vaughn- he been quiet in camp, Rojo seems like the man
  • Dobbins- strictly a handcuff, shouldn't go to early
  • Z Moss- might be a sleeper due to he ADP. On a run heavy team, but there isn't any camp hype

what are your thoughts on the rookie RB class in a redraft fantasy??

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

• CEH- its a bit of a gamble, but I see him as a solid 1st round pick. He's a talented back and that offense is unstoppable. He is also great at catching the ball
  • J Taylor- hes a beast behind the best oline in football. I been seeing on YouTube people hyping him in the 3rd. I just don't know because Mack is still there. Mack is a good football player when he is healthy. I like Taylor but 3rd is rich for me, because his role is not defined
  • D Swift- I like his situation better, K Johnson is already in a walking boot. Is he a home run pick in the 5th or 6th?
  • C Akers- is he the man in LA? another home run pick in the 5th or 6th? The offensive line sucks
  • Z Moss- might be a sleeper due to he ADP. On a run heavy team, but there isn't any camp hype

Def. taking a hard look at CEH after the big 4/5.

Don't like Taylor's ADP but I'd take him in r6 as my RB3?

I don't know why but I prefer Kerryon to Swift..maybe its the huge difference in ADP between the two

I'd take Akers in the 4th/5th  but again for depth.

Vaughn at the moment is a late filer..Maybe he gets a DJ rookie year run later on?

Agree on Dobbins

Moss is probably one I want most of these folks and he's cheap. Word is sometimes it has seem like he's the guy and Singletary is the change of pace RB.

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think Swift will be worth it once Kerryon gets hurt. 

History in general has not been kind to them and they just tend to get overdrafted. A lot end up on the waiver wire pile before too long. How many people dropped Sanders last year? So I usually just wait for people to check out on their rookie picks because they are in time share and aren't living up to the unrealistic rookie running back hype. 

If I'm choosing between Swift and Mostert, I'm taking Mostert (on average, Swift is going first). Honestly, I'd also probably take Montgomery over Swift (Swift also going earlier, but Mongomery's volume should be great). After those two though, I Think I'd be good taking a shot on Swift, though in that range I'm probably looking at wide receiver 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

History in general has not been kind to them and they just tend to get overdrafted. A lot end up on the waiver wire pile before too long. How many people dropped Sanders last year? So I usually just wait for people to check out on their rookie picks because they are in time share and aren't living up to the unrealistic rookie running back hype. 

If I'm choosing between Swift and Mostert, I'm taking Mostert (on average, Swift is going first). Honestly, I'd also probably take Montgomery over Swift (Swift also going earlier, but Mongomery's volume should be great). After those two though, I Think I'd be good taking a shot on Swift, though in that range I'm probably looking at wide receiver 

Oh I'm taking Mostert long before Swift. Monty too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

CEH is worth the investment.  There's too much that indicates he's going to get ample opportunity along with other (athletic profile and comps to guys who have previously cleaned up, fantasy-wise, in offensive schemes either run by Andy Reid or by guys who previously worked under Andy Reid).  That said, he's the only rookie back this season I feel confident in as any sort of fantasy starter before Week 6 or post-bye weeks, barring injuries pressing the matter.

Taylor looks to be in an ideal situation, and I do believe he can/will be an effective pass-catching (i.e 3-down back) in the league.  Marlon Mack's in the final year of his contract and they didn't just go out an sign Rivers (without a truly exciting backup behind him) to not go the "safer" route - which at very least suggest Mack out the gate.  Mack has shown he's had a penchant for picking up nicks here and there and some of those can be nagging injuries, but I'm not investing in Taylor at his current ADP for him to spend, most likely, the first 4-5 weeks of the season as a TD-or-bust member of my roster that I'm more than likely going to be in a position to have to start (based off where I drafted him) barring Mack getting injured.  Rather, in redraft leagues, he's a prime candidate I'm likely to target in a buy-low trade, if/when I'm in a position where he'd be my RB4 or RB3 (where I'm not dependent on my RB3 to be my regular Flex).

Swift... well, let's be real, I don't trust any Detroit RB, because I don't trust Detroit's offense to give us a week-to-week dependable back.  Detroit's a great backfield to invest in for best-ball leagues, but even then I'm getting at someone like Bo Scarbrough who is still going to get snaps, possibly as the goal-line guy.  Swift's ceiling right now (and it has a lot of if's to hit on the benchmark chart along the way to meet that ceiling), as long as Patricia and Bevell are content to run a RBBC offense, is James White.  Thing is, Stafford ain't Brady (not a knock necessarily on Stafford, they're just different QB's who approach the game differently).

Akers... the Rams OL isn't bad.  It's not what it was in 2018, but it was obliterated by injuries last season and couldn't get any type of continuity until late in the season.  And even if it were the case, Akers ran behind a trash line at Florida State his entire career and still produced.  Akers is going to get increased reps as we approach the season because Darrell Henderson just picked up an injury, but Malcolm Brown isn't going to just disappear.  If Akers has pass-blocking or fumble issues, or Henderson's pass-blocking doesn't improve from where it was last season, I won't be shocked to see McVay lean in on Brown... or to just ride whichever hands among the backs gets hot first in a given game.  Still, I wouldn't draft him.  He's someone I might grab as a speculative pickup off the wire ahead of a juicy matchup or two to see if he breaks out and the team runs with it, but, again, not someone I'm going to draft with an eye to depending on for seeing meaningful enough snaps for my fantasy team to inspire confidence in my locking up a playoff berth.

Vaughn... Vaughn may see some James White usage for the Bucs this season, I'm not drafting him expecting it.  I saw this as someone who did draft him in an earlier draft, but that was as a wait-and-see handcuff to Rojo who I'd earmarked as first-cut from my roster for a waiver-wire pickup.  Arians is stubborn.  How many times last year did we hear all the fantasy experts talking about how they needed to see what they had in RoJo because it was known that Peyton Barber was JAG, yet Arians came out and said Barber was the main guy at the start of the season and we didn't see RoJo get meaningful snaps until like what?... fantasy playoff time?

Dobbins... I'm not drafting him outside of dynasty leagues.  If I've got a deep enough bench in auction keeper leagues, I'm trying to sneak a cheap draft bid on him in order to have him as a really cheap keeper with Top 10 positional upside  (in the future), but redraft I'm not touching him unless something happens to Ingram before my draft.  Unless he snipes a couple of early TD's in the first two weeks of the season, my bet is that Dobbins is on a ton of waiver wires come Week 3 in any non-dynasty league where he's drafted.  Last round handcuff for an Ingram owner, I could see, but again, he'd be tagged for "can be cut for a WW pickup" by me.

Moss... they've practically confirmed his getting Frank Gore's snaps and I'd expect near identical usage.  So yes, in ultra deep leagues he'll get you production, but I wouldn't expect it to be game-winning production.  Allen's legs cap that goal-line upside for Moss.  I'd sooner take a lottery ticket on AJ Dillon as someone who could vulture Jamaal Williams' touches in Green Bay (which isn't great in and of itself, but I do expect some regression to the mean in TD's for Aaron Jones - it would be ridiculous to not project that - and knowing what I do of Matt LaFleur, I could see TD upside for his power back).  He's still be a TD-or-bust type guy with injury-dependent ceiling to progress higher than that, but Aaron Jones has only one 16-game season in his career.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

CEH is worth the investment.  There's too much that indicates he's going to get ample opportunity along with other (athletic profile and comps to guys who have previously cleaned up, fantasy-wise, in offensive schemes either run by Andy Reid or by guys who previously worked under Andy Reid).  That said, he's the only rookie back this season I feel confident in as any sort of fantasy starter before Week 6 or post-bye weeks, barring injuries pressing the matter.

Taylor looks to be in an ideal situation, and I do believe he can/will be an effective pass-catching (i.e 3-down back) in the league.  Marlon Mack's in the final year of his contract and they didn't just go out an sign Rivers (without a truly exciting backup behind him) to not go the "safer" route - which at very least suggest Mack out the gate.  Mack has shown he's had a penchant for picking up nicks here and there and some of those can be nagging injuries, but I'm not investing in Taylor at his current ADP for him to spend, most likely, the first 4-5 weeks of the season as a TD-or-bust member of my roster that I'm more than likely going to be in a position to have to start (based off where I drafted him) barring Mack getting injured.  Rather, in redraft leagues, he's a prime candidate I'm likely to target in a buy-low trade, if/when I'm in a position where he'd be my RB4 or RB3 (where I'm not dependent on my RB3 to be my regular Flex).

Swift... well, let's be real, I don't trust any Detroit RB, because I don't trust Detroit's offense to give us a week-to-week dependable back.  Detroit's a great backfield to invest in for best-ball leagues, but even then I'm getting at someone like Bo Scarbrough who is still going to get snaps, possibly as the goal-line guy.  Swift's ceiling right now (and it has a lot of if's to hit on the benchmark chart along the way to meet that ceiling), as long as Patricia and Bevell are content to run a RBBC offense, is James White.  Thing is, Stafford ain't Brady (not a knock necessarily on Stafford, they're just different QB's who approach the game differently).

Akers... the Rams OL isn't bad.  It's not what it was in 2018, but it was obliterated by injuries last season and couldn't get any type of continuity until late in the season.  And even if it were the case, Akers ran behind a trash line at Florida State his entire career and still produced.  Akers is going to get increased reps as we approach the season because Darrell Henderson just picked up an injury, but Malcolm Brown isn't going to just disappear.  If Akers has pass-blocking or fumble issues, or Henderson's pass-blocking doesn't improve from where it was last season, I won't be shocked to see McVay lean in on Brown... or to just ride whichever hands among the backs gets hot first in a given game.  Still, I wouldn't draft him.  He's someone I might grab as a speculative pickup off the wire ahead of a juicy matchup or two to see if he breaks out and the team runs with it, but, again, not someone I'm going to draft with an eye to depending on for seeing meaningful enough snaps for my fantasy team to inspire confidence in my locking up a playoff berth.

Vaughn... Vaughn may see some James White usage for the Bucs this season, I'm not drafting him expecting it.  I saw this as someone who did draft him in an earlier draft, but that was as a wait-and-see handcuff to Rojo who I'd earmarked as first-cut from my roster for a waiver-wire pickup.  Arians is stubborn.  How many times last year did we hear all the fantasy experts talking about how they needed to see what they had in RoJo because it was known that Peyton Barber was JAG, yet Arians came out and said Barber was the main guy at the start of the season and we didn't see RoJo get meaningful snaps until like what?... fantasy playoff time?

Dobbins... I'm not drafting him outside of dynasty leagues.  If I've got a deep enough bench in auction keeper leagues, I'm trying to sneak a cheap draft bid on him in order to have him as a really cheap keeper with Top 10 positional upside  (in the future), but redraft I'm not touching him unless something happens to Ingram before my draft.  Unless he snipes a couple of early TD's in the first two weeks of the season, my bet is that Dobbins is on a ton of waiver wires come Week 3 in any non-dynasty league where he's drafted.  Last round handcuff for an Ingram owner, I could see, but again, he'd be tagged for "can be cut for a WW pickup" by me.

Moss... they've practically confirmed his getting Frank Gore's snaps and I'd expect near identical usage.  So yes, in ultra deep leagues he'll get you production, but I wouldn't expect it to be game-winning production.  Allen's legs cap that goal-line upside for Moss.  I'd sooner take a lottery ticket on AJ Dillon as someone who could vulture Jamaal Williams' touches in Green Bay (which isn't great in and of itself, but I do expect some regression to the mean in TD's for Aaron Jones - it would be ridiculous to not project that - and knowing what I do of Matt LaFleur, I could see TD upside for his power back).  He's still be a TD-or-bust type guy with injury-dependent ceiling to progress higher than that, but Aaron Jones has only one 16-game season in his career.

First off this is all great, I agree with almost all of this. I wouldn't say I'm not drafting so many of them, so much as not drafting at their ADP. 

Mack and Kerryon definitely have injury concerns but until then they aren't going away because they have talent and Kerryon has high draft capital invested

Akers and Dobbins could get a solid amount of work but Mark Ingram isnt just going to be forgotten, he doesn't have a ton of miles on him despite his age and was very effective last year averaging like 5 ypc. If anything I think LJax running less plus Dobbins in the mix means Ingram might just get the same # of carries and Dobbins gets alot of runs that were Lamar's

Vaughn is probably falling behind especially now that Rojo seems to be doing very well. idk if the Buccs/Brady will be so patient with a rookie RB but thats all speculation, id just rather have Rojo at his ADP

Moss is interesting to me, right out of the gate I expect him to get Frank Gore's touches but be more effective than the 3.6 ypc and given Singletary's size its definitely possible he might not see all 16 games if his workload increases. Yes, Josh Allen will steal some close TDs as well, but Buffalo knows they have a franchise QB. It wouldn't be too shocking to see some of those close looks go to the "Better Old Man Gore" in Zach Moss so Josh doesn't take too much punishment. 

AJ Dillon at the very least should be rostered considering he is the obvious #2 on a run-heavy team, as someone that once loved Aaron Jones I might wrap up my draft taking a flier on Dillon

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

When you guys say CEH is “worth the investment” is that investment middle of the 1st round? Like anything after pick 6?  In ppr is he ahead of Cook, Henry, Jacobs, Thomas and Adams? 

I'm picking at 5 so I'm interested in takes on this as well.  It's a standard league so if Henry is there, he's my pick.  But if he's gone and it's between CEH and Cook, I'm hesitating.

Cook needs to start the season to accrue a final year and become a FA next year, correct?  They have not given him an extension and he's not happy about it.  Is there anything stopping him from playing week 1, then opting out because of COVID?  I just don't understand the things that have been put in place but I hear they are "player-friendly" so as to not penalize players who opt-out.  What a disaster that would be as a first round pick.

21 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'm picking at 5 so I'm interested in takes on this as well.  It's a standard league so if Henry is there, he's my pick.  But if he's gone and it's between CEH and Cook, I'm hesitating.

Cook needs to start the season to accrue a final year and become a FA next year, correct?  They have not given him an extension and he's not happy about it.  Is there anything stopping him from playing week 1, then opting out because of COVID?  I just don't understand the things that have been put in place but I hear they are "player-friendly" so as to not penalize players who opt-out.  What a disaster that would be as a first round pick.

But the deadline to opt out is done? Also Schefter said this about cook: If he doesn't have a deal before week 1 then drafting Cook would give him some pause...

3 hours ago, titanrick said:

Cook scares me for a few reasons. 1) We all know the injury history stuff 2) How hard is he gonna go and is he gonna play cautious as to not get hurt and ruin his next contract 3) He can hold out until, I think week 10? and still accrue a season toward free agency.  That seems very likely to me, I would think his agent would advise that.  That’s a lot to sift through on a pick high in the first round

46 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Cook scares me for a few reasons. 1) We all know the injury history stuff 2) How hard is he gonna go and is he gonna play cautious as to not get hurt and ruin his next contract 3) He can hold out until, I think week 10? and still accrue a season toward free agency.  That seems very likely to me, I would think his agent would advise that.  That’s a lot to sift through on a pick high in the first round

Is he going to get his big payday if he doesnt ball out though? I think him playing 16 games to not get hurt means he loses money as well