Montgomery hurt

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Moving Patterson to RB was stupid. I mean, really stupid. I'm sure there's a separate thread about this though, so I'll look about...

I doubt he's done playing WR. To be fair he was never much one here anyway (or anywhere else anyway), mostly a gadget guy. I can see Nagy using him in a variety of ways this year

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 6:01 PM, Heinz D. said:

Moving Patterson to RB was stupid. I mean, really stupid. I'm sure there's a separate thread about this though, so I'll look about...

**checks career stats**

103 rushes, 785 yards, 7 TDs, 7.6 YPA

Why? I'm not saying that is what he will produce, but I see no reason not running him outside zone 5-7 times per game.

Edited by G08
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, G08 said:

**checks career stats**

103 rushes, 785 yards, 7 TDs, 7.6 YPA

Why? I'm not saying that is what he will produce, but I see no reason running him outside zone 5-7 times per game.

He's clearly a better WR and special teamer than a RB. I mean, let's be real about this. Changing to RB at this point of his career is crazy, at best. And reflects complete incompetence in the front office as to addressing the position. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I doubt he's done playing WR. To be fair he was never much one here anyway (or anywhere else anyway), mostly a gadget guy. I can see Nagy using him in a variety of ways this year

I guess? But to think the team wouldn't be better off getting another ACTUAL RB than converting Patterson is silly. 

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He's clearly a better WR and special teamer than a RB. I mean, let's be real about this. Changing to RB at this point of his career is crazy, at best. And reflects complete incompetence in the front office as to addressing the position. 

Running outside zone is, in theory, similar to returning kicks. He has a talent for that, and a dude as big/strong/fast as Patterson just needs a lane and he can be off to the races.

I don't want him as a bell-cow... but if we don't have Montgomery weeks 1 and 2, I'm fine with splitting 25 carries between Montgomery and Cohen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I guess? But to think the team wouldn't be better off getting another ACTUAL RB than converting Patterson is silly. 

I do not disagree

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Sorry Heinz but I have to disagree.  CP has been used at RB everywhere he's been albeit never as a full time back.  Belichick used him more than anyone and had some success with it using him at both WR and RB.  So CP is not a stranger to lining up in the backfield and has actually had more reps than Nall or rookie Pierce.

The skinny on Monty is out 2-4 weeks.  So.....we hope he's a fast healer and we'll probably use RB by committee 'til then with Nall and Cohen sharing carries with CP.  It's not ideal but we have very little time to bring in another RB and bring him up to speed unless it's someone we plan to keep around as a backup to Montgomery.  In that case Pace may want to look at the waiver wire for a younger guy who has some NFL experience, put Pierce on the PS, and work the new guy in as best we can.

IMHO if Pace was feeling we needed more depth at RB he would have kicked the tires of some beyond his prime vet like Ware or Freeman or others who've recently been signed long ago.  He may still do that but it's unlikely he'll pay much for vet help and maybe just as unlikely a vet will sign for a minimum knowing how we sent Mike Davis packing last year.  Why would a vet want to sign on to work themselves up to speed only to be let go after maybe four or five games?

This is a passing offense and it will be as long as Nagy is HC.  So once Monty is healthy he's gonna get the majority of the run calls with Cohen and CP sharing some as gadget big play guys.  Unless we do bring in more talent I'd say either Nall or Pierce will end up as #2 RB but pretty much in name only.  They won't see much action as long as Montgomery can play.  Now that Pace and Nagy have a prognosis on Monty what they plan to do should come out soon or not at all.  JMHO

Edited by soulman

12 hours ago, soulman said:

Sorry Heinz but I have to disagree.  CP has been used at RB everywhere he's been albeit never as a full time back.  Belichick used him more than anyone and had some success with it using him at both WR and RB.  So CP is not a stranger to lining up in the backfield and has actually had more reps than Nall or rookie Pierce.

The skinny on Monty is out 2-4 weeks.  So.....we hope he's a fast healer and we'll probably use RB by committee 'til then with Nall and Cohen sharing carries with CP.  

The change doesn't sound temporary. If it turns out to be, I'll restate everything. 

But, for now, it sounds permanent. And it doesn't matter if Patterson isn't a "stranger" to lining up in the backfield. Pierce still holds more promise than Patterson does... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The change doesn't sound temporary. If it turns out to be, I'll restate everything. 

But, for now, it sounds permanent. And it doesn't matter if Patterson isn't a "stranger" to lining up in the backfield. Pierce still holds more promise than Patterson does... 

Pierce is a nifty small back who made his living in college running in an inside zone scheme so he's a fit.  I've watched some highlights and he's quick and shifty with 4.4-4.5 speed and can catch.  I like what I saw on video more than what I saw of Kerrith Whyte last year.  The problem may only be his inexperience.

• Like 1

Mont going down hurts, and it puts the staff in a tough position with no real good options at this point.

Free agency is obviously an option but for RB's who are looking to be the number or even #2 in touches,  the Bears are a tough sale to make with Cohen past season and Mont being pegged as the immediate starter when he gets back.  It also didn't help to see how Mike Davis was used last year either.

So this probably eliminates Freeman. I wanted Pace to go after a RB in the offseason, but I would venture to say that he probably did target a few but didn't getting any takers for this very same reason.  This would also explain why they waited so late in the offseason to announce that Patterson was going to be used more as a RB. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Mont going down hurts, and it puts the staff in a tough position with no real good options at this point.

Free agency is obviously an option but for RB's who are looking to be the number or even #2 in touches,  the Bears are a tough sale to make with Cohen past season and Mont being pegged as the immediate starter when he gets back.  It also didn't help to see how Mike Davis was used last year either.

So this probably eliminates Freeman. I wanted Pace to go after a RB in the offseason, but I would venture to say that he probably did target a few but didn't getting any takers for this very same reason.  This would also explain why they waited so late in the offseason to announce that Patterson was going to be used more as a RB. 

One major issue for us as fans is we never got to see how either of the two rookie we signed looked it preseason.  Of course they let Maxwell go to clear roster space.

For the one to two games Monty may miss I think they'll just go with who they have.  Nall isn't a RB who can get you more than blocked for but if they open some holes both he and CP have plenty of size to handle a majority of the carries with Cohen adding a few of his own.

Given that Nagy is still calling plays and we now have Jimmy Graham and Kmet how many runs will he call anyway?  I can see a lot more  8-12 yard passes as his way of moving the ball with a few runs mixed in as opposed to the reverse.  That and depending on ARob and Miller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

One major issue for us as fans is we never got to see how either of the two rookie we signed looked it preseason.  Of course they let Maxwell go to clear roster space.

For the one to two games Monty may miss I think they'll just go with who they have.  Nall isn't a RB who can get you more than blocked for but if they open some holes both he and CP have plenty of size to handle a majority of the carries with Cohen adding a few of his own.

Given that Nagy is still calling plays and we now have Jimmy Graham and Kmet how many runs will he call anyway?  I can see a lot more  8-12 yard passes as his way of moving the ball with a few runs mixed in as opposed to the reverse.  That and depending on ARob and Miller.

I think you're right but hope you're wrong. Maybe the novelty of not having a go to rb will add a little confusion to opposing defenses? Our offense?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think you're right but hope you're wrong. Maybe the novelty of not having a go to rb will add a little confusion to opposing defenses? Our offense?

I'll just say it out loud.  As long as Matt Nagy is the Bears HC we will get off the bus passing.  That's his game.