Jump to content

Montgomery hurt


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, soulman said:

Lemme just ask this.

If Fournette is all that and a bag if chips and Pace felt he was a must have player why with just over two weeks 'til the opener isn't he all over him?

Other than articles about where Fournette may end up all we've heard out of the Bears front office is crickets.  Actions speak louder than words.

He's a power back, or supposed to be, right?  97 broken tackles in his career.  That's not good for a guy who doesn't have a lot of wiggle and may not have the great breakaway speed.

I thought this thread hit it best....Howard is a good comp for Fournette.  Though I think Howard broke more tackles.

Just a guess, but I feel like the reason he isn't already a Bear is the money.  Look at the crop of free agent RB's next year.  Top of my head...Kamara, Cook, A. Jones, Mixon.  And I know there are others.  I wouldn't doubt that his asking price could be high right now.  Or maybe multiple years to try to get some of that money before it is gone next year.  And that is scaring teams away.

Or...it could just be that he isn't that good.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

How is he better?  He's done nothing and is hurt. If Fournette is Steven Jackson (stop making comparisons) why wouldn't we want him?  Because Cohen and Patterson excel between the tackles?  How much experience does Patterson have picking up blitzes?

Steven Jackson after being run into the ground. He's a guy that you can find anywhere. Why pay him 4 million?

He got three touchdowns last year with a ton of usage... That's awful. I'd rather see what a UDFA can do compared to Fournette. Look at the rest of this thread and you'll get even more evidence that he's not worth 4 million. If he came cheap, I don't care. But he's not worth money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marion Barber comes to mind when thinking about adding LF,  his backup/#2 role for us ... I like it  ! Cedric Benson also comes to mind when I think about adding LF because of how well he CB did over a 5 yr stretch or so after leaving here  ! sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference in the world, either way LF is SIGNIFICANT  upgrade to what we currently have ........rent him for a yr at 4m and see how he develops here, LOW risk  glaring opportunity to upgrade our overall running game significantly  !

Edited by SLCbear
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Marion Barber comes to mind when thinking about adding LF .. I like it  ! Cedric Benson also comes to mind when I think about adding LF because of how well he CB did over a 5 yr stretch or so after leaving here  ! sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference in the world, either way LF is SIGNIFICANT  upgrade to what we currently have ........rent him for a yr at 4m and see how he develops here, LOW risk  glaring opportunity to make our running game significant alongside Monty 

Another benefit of renting him, like we should, is its a win win. If he has a good year a comp pick becomes a possibility. If he doesn't at least he's quality depth if Monty becomes something.

Also these player comps are terrible and no udfa is gonna be better.  Fournette is very unique in the fact that he has elite long speed for his size, one of the top mph speeds by any NFL player multiple times.  He can block at an elite level.  He has very good hands despite not being a great route runner.  Solid check down option.  We want to run the ball more but we have no RBs especially with Monty hurt. PFF says he can't break tackles but the same day says he's 8 in the league in YAC.  Fournette doesn't have to be a world beater to be a good pickup for us now. Joe Mixon just got 12 per and I'd say his baggage is 10x that of Fournette.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

looks like we are in the #19 spot for waiver wire claims  .... I don't see how he goes unclaimed  ! he's coming off an1100 yd season  

Well he just did. Maybe NFL teams know more than we do... but it's not really a good look for a guy who was drafted as high as he was and who came into the league with as much hype as he did.

Like I said before if Bears signed him on a cheap 1 year deal with incentives built in I wouldn't mind it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soulman said:

Lemme just ask this.

If Fournette is all that and a bag if chips and Pace felt he was a must have player why with just over two weeks 'til the opener isn't he all over him?

Other than articles about where Fournette may end up all we've heard out of the Bears front office is crickets.  Actions speak louder than words.

Nobody was going to pay Fournette $4.2 million this year. He's through the waiver process, we'll see what happens next. The Bears might as well sign him--Cohen is an enormous question mark and converting Patterson to running back was idiotic. If another situation pops up that would make Fournette expendable, then just cut him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soulman said:

This I don't get at all.  Only one rookie RB out gained him last season.  He gained nearly 1100 yard total offense and scored 7 tds.  That's better then even Walter Payton did as a rookie.  We've also seen him make defenders miss and carry multiple tackler with him before going down just as he did in college.

Given the nearly complete inability of our OL to run block well in 2019 what exactly are you looking for?

Close but Sanders outgained him as well with 1300 yards and was significantly better in terms of production per opportunity as well. PHI having better talent took away from his TDs but also allowed less focus to be put on him, etc. Singletary was much more efficient as well as a runner too, but regardless there was flashes of promise shown too. 

 

As you said he was sabotaged by a poor OL. He deserves to get another shot but did he deserve to have the job unchallenged? I don't believe so at all, but Pace and Nagy seemed comfortable with it so let's see. I'm rooting for the kid. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

As you said he was sabotaged by a poor OL. He deserves to get another shot but did he deserve to have the job unchallenged? I don't believe so at all, but Pace and Nagy seemed comfortable with it so let's see. I'm rooting for the kid. 

Well, hopefully either Pierce or Maxwell ends up being worthy of a roster spot, or a practice squad spot...so there's something there behind Montgomery. I have no faith in Cohen or a converted Patterson to do anything of substance if called upon.

That being said, Pace really couldn't use a high pick (or maybe ANY pick) on a back this year. Is that messed up? Yes. But there's no getting around it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

You seem to be. I don't know that he's even a top 25 RB. He's definitely not a mile ahead of Monty... Cohen and Patterson, sure lol

Yeah I still think Montgomery would be our #1 RB even if Fournette was here, someone tell me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I saw a tweet saying Montgomery forced more missed tackles last season than Fournette. I was listening to the Around the NFL podcast yesterday and they were talking about Fournette, saying it's a classic case of don't look at the stats and let them fool you - he got so many yards and catches last year as Jacksonville just force him the ball, it's not like he's not doing anything special in the passing game, just taking two yard dump offs and seeing if he can outpower a guy like he used to be able to do in college.

That being said, now he's cleared waivers, if he wants to come be our #2 RB for like $1m on a one-year deal, then go for it. Not sure how keen Fournette would be for that situation though.

Edited by RJ_11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah I still think Montgomery would be our #1 RB even if Fournette was here, someone tell me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I saw a tweet saying Montgomery forced more missed tackles last season than Fournette. I was listening to the Around the NFL podcast yesterday and they were talking about Fournette, saying it's a classic case of don't look at the stats and let them fool you - he got so many yards and catches last year as Jacksonville just force him the ball, it's not like he's not doing anything special in the passing game, just taking two yard dump offs and seeing if he can outpower a guy like he used to be able to do in college.

That being said, now he's cleared waivers, if he wants to come be our #2 RB for like $1m on a one-year deal, then go for it. Not sure how keen Fournette would be for that situation though.

Yeah, exactly. He had three (3) touchdowns last year... With his amount of usage, he should've been close to top of the league in scoring. 75 catches and no scores. That's awful.

As a cheap, one year COP guy... I wouldn't be mad. But he won't blow anyone away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...