Montgomery hurt

beardown3231

I saw this mentioned on Twitter and it was a good point as to why we may not see Fournette signed with a team until after week 1.  

If a veteran player is signed to an active roster as of week 1 if the reg season then their salary becomes fully guaranteed for the whole season regardless of what happens.

So unless Leonard is willing to sign for cheap with a contender right now he may have to wait until week 2.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, vegas492 said:

He's a power back, or supposed to be, right?  97 broken tackles in his career.  That's not good for a guy who doesn't have a lot of wiggle and may not have the great breakaway speed.

I thought this thread hit it best....Howard is a good comp for Fournette.  Though I think Howard broke more tackles.

Just a guess, but I feel like the reason he isn't already a Bear is the money.  Look at the crop of free agent RB's next year.  Top of my head...Kamara, Cook, A. Jones, Mixon.  And I know there are others.  I wouldn't doubt that his asking price could be high right now.  Or maybe multiple years to try to get some of that money before it is gone next year.  And that is scaring teams away.

Or...it could just be that he isn't that good.  

Kamara is currently a holdout in NOLA.  Should they shop him I'd see him as a much better fit in this offense.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Kamara is currently a holdout in NOLA.  Should they shop him I'd see him as a much better fit in this offense.

Paying top dollar for a running back is usually a wasteful spend of resources.  And he is going to get top dollar.

Kamara is electric and elite, no doubt.  But man, those contracts just don't work long term.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Paying top dollar for a running back is usually a wasteful spend of resources.  And he is going to get top dollar.

Kamara is electric and elite, no doubt.  But man, those contracts just don't work long term.  

He's probably worth top dollar--he's that good.

But the Bears can't pay that. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

As is us using a first round pick apparently.  Pick your poison. Lol

I'd offer a third at most for Kamara..... He's worth more as a player, but we can't afford to spend more with the QB concerns we have and needing to likely trade up.

Regardless, he and NOLA apparently are  reportedly working it out, and it was all posturing most likely.

In other news, Nagy apparently made a comment today that the Bears are NOT pursuing Fornette at all, even as a FA, so that conversation is now over.

Finally, Sports Mockery had an article basically saying that the team is -VERY- high on A. Peirce, and there's been reports of him practicing at times with the #1s from camp.  I kind of get the impression he's going to end up usurping Ryan Nall for that last RB roster spot/ Monty's primary backup.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He's back in camp now so it seems NOLA called his bluff by putting him on the trade block and he returned with lesser demands.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd offer a third at most for Kamara..... He's worth more as a player, but we can't afford to spend more with the QB concerns we have and needing to likely trade up.

Regardless, he and NOLA apparently are  reportedly working it out, and it was all posturing most likely.

In other news, Nagy apparently made a comment today that the Bears are NOT pursuing Fornette at all, even as a FA, so that conversation is now over.

Finally, Sports Mockery had an article basically saying that the team is -VERY- high on A. Peirce, and there's been reports of him practicing at times with the #1s from camp.  I kind of get the impression he's going to end up usurping Ryan Nall for that last RB roster spot/ Monty's primary backup.

I hope. Pierce has a little bit of everything I like in a RB. He's in that Arian Foster mold of great vision and patience, but not great athletic traits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I second this.  A mid-late round RB on a 4 year rookie deal >>>>>>>paying top-dollar for a 2nd contract and ESPECIALLY any RB in FA. (Unless they are AP LIKE special).

A RB's career is relatively very short in comparison to every other position in football and even much less shorter in terms of availability during the time they are still relevant. 

Why give a RB a high contract that hinders your team who may only play at the same high level when he can be easily replaced with a mid-late round pick for 75% less money. 

That said, I do feel bad for RB's because they got absolutely screwed in the 2011 CBA, and overall, they are under-valued by most fans as well.  They can be a vital part in any offense but the life-span of the position is just too short and the overall production in the long run simply doesn't outweigh the cost in keeping them in most cases.

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He's probably worth top dollar--he's that good.

But the Bears can't pay that. 

So...I go against the grain a little bit concerning RB's.  I'm not paying them top dollar on a second deal.  But I will give them an extension before the rookie deal is up and try to lock them in around 5-8M/year for 3 years.  That would give the team about 7 years of "control".  And it more or less gets around the rookie wage scale and rewards them early.  But if the cost goes to 10M or north?  Easy thing to pass on.

Concerning the draft?  I don't want to take a RB in round one.  But there are exceptions to the rule, especially if picking later in the round.  Ideally you do what you did with Montgomery, but if a true bellcow is staring you in the face mid first round to end of first round....then things get interesting.

• Like 1

By now I think Pace has made it clear he doesn't value spending big money or top picks on RBs for this offense.  Not when the draft is full of backs you can take in the middle rounds and get decent production from.  IMHO his trading up for Montgomery is about as aggressive as Pace is likely to get.

Very few if any RBs will have the kind of longevity Payton had.  A few will hang around but more as supplemental backs than workhorse types.

I'll be curious to see how highly he values Cohen.

58 minutes ago, soulman said:

By now I think Pace has made it clear he doesn't value spending big money or top picks on RBs for this offense.  Not when the draft is full of backs you can take in the middle rounds and get decent production from.  IMHO his trading up for Montgomery is about as aggressive as Pace is likely to get.

Very few if any RBs will have the kind of longevity Payton had.  A few will hang around but more as supplemental backs than workhorse types.

I'll be curious to see how highly he values Cohen.

I hope not too highly. Cohen would need to show a lot more north-south decisiveness for me to be comfortable with them giving him big money.

• Like 2

I think Ryan Nall is going to have a bigger role in this offense than most of us are expecting. I've seen the word fullback thrown around numerous times now, and I'm pretty sure I read about him lining up at H-back as well.

If Montgomery can't go week 1, I think they might trot Nall out there with the starters...

• Like 1

Montgomery is one of guys Bears could not afford to lose as he has no good back up and I believe was the planned focal point of 2020 Bears O.

Patterson is a position change and doesn't know blocking or reads.  Cohen is not an every down back.   Nall lacks athletic ability.    With Montgomery getting bulk of play, those guys provide a nice athletic change.   But without Montgomery they are liabilities.   

Detroit caught a huge break and Bears were stupid for having that large of a hole at a position that NFL is deep at.   

Losing first game of season is such a downer and momentum killer.  Hopefully Bears can overcome it.

I would play a lot of Cohen and spell him with Patterson.   I wouldn't keep either in protection.  Or I would do it extremely rarely.

Bears can't lose Leno, Robinson or Montgomery without a huge quality dip.   Funny enough they can lose Foles or MT and be fairly okay.   

• Like 1