Ryan Pace Deserves More Respect

soulman

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think it's fair to point out the difference between an ascending team like the 49ers who were considered dark horses by analysts and national pundits and a team like the Bears which is trending in the opposite direction.

Unless the Bears are making a QB upgrade like SF made, I doubt they can put together an offense that will win a Super Bowl. And that's the only contending that matters.

I disagree that they were dark horses. They were simply a team that exploded beyond anyone's belief or expectations. 

Have you watched JG play? Like really watched him?

Just so we're on the same page here.  So you think JG is a reliable long-term starter in this league? If that answer is yes then we are FAR apart on our assessments here. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It is an every 6-7 year thing for the Bears, so yeah that sounds about right

Now I won't even be surprised. Thanks a lot. 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I disagree that they were dark horses. They were simply a team that exploded beyond anyone's belief or expectations. 

Just so we're on the same page here.  So you think JG is a reliable long-term starter in this league? If that answer is yes then we are FAR apart on our assessments here. 

I think he will be the new Dalton.  If you're better than him then your team is ok at QB at minimum. If you're worse than him then you're looking to upgrade. 

We are in the latter. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Based on what?

Are we sure Pace didn't try to go after any other LG and they just chose another team based on other personal priorities? Or is this just based on assumptions? 

This is what I'm thinking as well.  It's not as if Detroit has a great OL to begin with so if Glasgow is as good as people think then why did they let one of their better OL get away in FA?

Also you're right, some people just assume everyone wants to sign with the Bears lol.  There are 31 other teams out there that have a lot to offer too.

Edited by topwop1

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

This is what I'm thinking as well.  It's not as if Detroit has a great OL to begin with so if Glasgow is as good as people think then why did they let one of their better OL get away in FA?

Also you're right, some people just assume everyone wants to sign with the Bears lol.  There are 31 other teams out there that have a lot to offer too.

Denver has one of the best OL coaches in the league and was happy to pay him. I do not assume that they could land Glasgow, he is simply an example of how much better players were available.

The fact is that Ifedi is a super underwhelming addition at arguable the worst position on the team.

16 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've seen him play and I believe he can consistently be in the top half of NFL QBs. He was certainly a top 12 QB last year.

In 2018, the 49ers started a combination of CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens. Even average QB play was a huge upgrade for them.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:42 PM, abstract_thought said:

I've seen him play and I believe he can consistently be in the top half of NFL QBs. He was certainly a top 12 QB last year.

In 2018, the 49ers started a combination of CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens. Even average QB play was a huge upgrade for them.

This specific word is what's creating the divide between our opinions then because his inconsistencies are exactly what held him back last year. Locking onto his first read, inconsistency in reading pre-snap defenses, not reading his WR's option routes on a consistent basis and over/under throwing them more often than you would like, etc.  

I like @Sugashane comparison to Andy Dalton. You need an entirely built squad on both sides of the ball to get the most out of him and that ceiling is relevaley still pretty low. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

On 9/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, abstract_thought said:

I’m not too inspired by the idea of “pound and pound and pound” with Nall running behind this line.

No way Nagy trusts Nall to be focal point of offense.  Not happening.  

Losing Montgomery changes whole game plan for week 1.  

On 9/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, abstract_thought said:

I believe 49ers 2019 success was based off their talent and play on O line and D line which was best combined in entire league by a wide margin.

It had little to do with Jimmy G who isn’t a bad player, but isn’t anything special.

They achieved that with a slew of really high draft picks and finishing really poorly for a number of close together years.  Not through great GM skill.   

49 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I believe 49ers 2019 success was based off their talent and play on O line and D line which was best combined in entire league by a wide margin.

It had little to do with Jimmy G who isn’t a bad player, but isn’t anything special.

Bingo.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

No way Nagy trusts Nall to be focal point of offense.  Not happening.  

Losing Montgomery changes whole game plan for week 1.  

If Nagy tries to air the ball out 40+ times after making Trubisky the starter with absolutely no credible run game again, Foles will be starting by week 3, and everyone will be fired by Black Monday. 

On 9/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, dll2000 said:

They had the same OL in 2018 and their offense was among the worst in the league.