Halo Infinite (Dec. 8th, 2021)

Kiltman

Two big additions have been announced to help get the game right for next year.

Certain Affinity has been working with 343i on the multiplayer since the end of 2019,
CA is Max Hoberman's company, who was lead on Halo 2 multiplayer and overall one of the biggest reasons halo multiplayer was what it was.
Him and people on his team designed a lot of the best maps.

And even more surprisingly Joseph Staten is coming in to help lead the rework that is ahead of them.
Staten was the lead writer at Bungie for their Halo campaigns and missions, additionally he expanded to novels and ran point on other studios and mediums using the IP.
He's been in a senior creative director with Microsoft since Activision pushed him and others out of Bungie while they were making Destiny.

Certain Affinity being brought in 9 months ago should mean way more polish and most likely they are making some of the multiplayer maps themselves.
Staten being brought in now probably won't mean much for the story, but he should be able to take control and direct it into a better place since he was so key to the success of the original games. I wouldn't be shocked if he will be transitioned into the new head of the franchise going forward. 343i has lacked great leadership for awhile when it comes to the narrative of these games, wonder how he'll try to right the ship.

There is a decent chance I think that this will be hitting September-November 2021 and not just a couple month delay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As long as CA doesn't bring back super jumps, I am OK with it.  All of these former Halo folks coming back can only help. 

Any speculation on the story mode?  It's obviously going to finish the Created arc with Cortana, but are we going to see Halo Wars 2/Reawakening the Nightmare tied in somehow?  

There seems to be some level of tie-in to Halo Wars 2, but they really haven't put out much of anything.
A couple of small rumors of it taking place on more than just the one halo ring in the back half of the game, but not much to go off of.

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Certain Affinity has been working with 343i on the multiplayer since the end of 2019,
CA is Max Hoberman's company, who was lead on Halo 2 multiplayer and overall one of the biggest reasons halo multiplayer was what it was.
Him and people on his team designed a lot of the best maps.

GOOD. If there's one thing I've hated about the 343 multiplayer the most, it's that all the maps lack any sort of character to them. They're just all incredibly dull and monotonous and lifeless. Not to mention the textures in the maps in Halo 5 multiplayer assets were just like this dull solid metal everywhere. Looked like crap.

The Campaign is going to be ongoing and continually expanded on for years after release. All we know right now is that the current main antagonist we know of is a Brute Captain know as "Esheram" who serves under Atriox and The Banished faction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danger said:

The Campaign is going to be ongoing and continually expanded on for years after release. All we know right now is that the current main antagonist we know of is a Brute Captain know as "Esheram" who serves under Atriox and The Banished faction.

Yeah them adding more in later gives me hope that Staten can help with how that story builds on top of just getting things for the main game on the right track.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I heard MP is going to be free? I'm not really following Halo Infinite since I'm going to give it a chance no matter what. A bad Halo game is still fine to me lol.

Yep, Multiplayer will be free.

I think the idea was to try to get people into the Xbox ecosystem, no matter where they wanted to play it. Xbox Series X, PC, Xbox One or xCloud. But the delay as well as Apple blocking xCloud kinda hurts that vision for now. I’m sure they’ll find a workaround and their are a bunch of irons in the fire for litigation against Apple on a lot of fronts.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, Danger said:

GOOD. If there's one thing I've hated about the 343 multiplayer the most, it's that all the maps lack any sort of character to them. They're just all incredibly dull and monotonous and lifeless. Not to mention the textures in the maps in Halo 5 multiplayer assets were just like this dull solid metal everywhere. Looked like crap.

I love Halo multiplayer but one thing that bothers me is when they have the "Forge" type maps.  I like having the unique terrain, not man made ones structured differently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To add to that ^

Here is a breakdown from some of the teams about why they did what they did, what was already planned to be implemented but wasn’t ready yet for July and what changes are being made based off feedback from July

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-december-2020

Overall by reading it, my impressions and summary;

They missed the mark of having all systems ready to go by the first reveal. Some of this was COVID but also potentially just stuff not getting done. We probably would’ve gotten a pretty solid and fun game in November. The campaign was done more or less. This entire year will be polish and systems focused. Mostly to get the visuals to the place where people can see the next gen-ness. They are going over everything in the graphics department. Also Craig is dead.

Happy they are taking the time and don’t seem to be crunching. They said a lot of good stuff they needed to here.

It's always a good decision IMO when companies delay their games to make them better. In this case, this extra year really seems to be needed and I'm glad Microsoft is going this route as opposed to rushing out a bad product. I'm not sure how much they could actually accomplish in the next year, but I'm hoping/optimistic that next time we see Halo Infinite it'll be a much better looking game.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I guess I’ll be getting this since I own an Xbox now, but have never played a Halo game in my life.

Master Chief Collection (1-4) and Halo 5 are all up on Gamepass if you feel the desire to playthrough the old campaigns. Though this one  is supposed to be fairly welcoming to new players.

• Like 1