Halo Infinite (Dec. 8th, 2021)

Kiltman

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Someone explain the multiplayer being free to me.

I've bought all the Halos and the multiplayer was always free.  I will be buying this at launch as well.  Not doing gamepass.

You won’t need to spend a dime to play it. Like you won’t even need Xbox live technically.

Think like COD Warzone, Fortnite, Apex. You can download that for free and play. They’ll have a battle pass system for getting stuff to unlock, they have a good solution with them though in that it never expires. But if all you care about is playing Halo MP, that’s free.

Remains to be seen what buying the game will give you on the multiplayer side, I assume it’ll be more that what a free player starts with. 

13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

You won’t need to spend a dime to play it. Like you won’t even need Xbox live technically.

Think like COD Warzone, Fortnite, Apex. You can download that for free and play. They’ll have a battle pass system for getting stuff to unlock, they have a good solution with them though in that it never expires. But if all you care about is playing Halo MP, that’s free.

Remains to be seen what buying the game will give you on the multiplayer side, I assume it’ll be more that what a free player starts with. 

So you don't have to buy the game, xbox live or gamepass and can still play online multiplayer?  That doesn't make sense to me.

13 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So you don't have to buy the game, xbox live or gamepass and can still play online multiplayer?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah they removed the Xbox Live Gold barrier for free to play games at some point.

The play is to get people to buy into the battle passes each season for cosmetics.

But if you don’t care and just want to play Halo MP you don’t need to fork over a dime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah they removed the Xbox Live Gold barrier for free to play games at some point.

The play is to get people to buy into the battle passes each season for cosmetics.

But if you don’t care and just want to play Halo MP you don’t need to fork over a dime.

Are the battle passes necessary? 

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Are the battle passes necessary? 

Nope, just an extra way to unlock stuff. 
they still haven’t said everything on them.

But so far

They don’t expire, meaning if you get a battle pass you can finish it whenever and on your time. Which is an issue for other games that use the system.

You can’t just throw money at them to get all the cosmetics in the pass.

There will be events in game for special unlocks like that Samurai set at the end of the reveal trailer. Those you can miss out on.

Unless you're a big time Halo fan, which I'm not, I think this is going to be a snooze fest. Similar to Gears of War, just not sure how much more I can play the exact same game over and over again. Halo has been a thing for like 20+ years, and I personally don't think Halo has been good in a really long time.

I love that this is free to play because I don't think I would buy it for retail price and I certainly don't want to subscribe to Game Pass at the moment.

24 minutes ago, showtime said:

Unless you're a big time Halo fan, which I'm not, I think this is going to be a snooze fest. Similar to Gears of War, just not sure how much more I can play the exact same game over and over again. Halo has been a thing for like 20+ years, and I personally don't think Halo has been good in a really long time.

I love that this is free to play because I don't think I would buy it for retail price and I certainly don't want to subscribe to Game Pass at the moment.

If we get a Halo campaign focused on Chief (and those with him) but set in a little bit more of an open world type game (like a FarCry) I think most people will be happy unless they just straight up don't like Halo. Because that's what it seems like it will be. I think in general there is way more love for Halo than Gears has ever had.
The sandbox is just fun to play with, adding stuff like the grapple hook have me pretty excited for the campaign and mp. Just changes up the movement.

I mean every franchise is just more of the same, the key is to nail the story, setting or introduce enough new mechanics to get people hooked. Otherwise you get burnout.
Even then some people will just naturally be fine not going back to that well. Lots of people seem to feel that way with Ubisoft games, probably the most obvious example of how more of the same can have enough/not enough to hook people back in.

Last great Halo Campaign was Reach in 2011, 4 was fine and 5 was a mess. I'm just happy they are ditching it and doing something new.
Halo 5 MP was good but couldn't stick with the more modern stuff. As someone who's been out on Battle Royales and MP aside from crucible in Destiny for the last 7 years...Infinite's looks pretty tempting to jump into. 

I think a sweet spot for people not already on Gamepass is join in the Spring of '22 unless they want to play some of the other stuff coming this fall like Back 4 Blood, Forza and all those more indie games. You do it in the Spring and you get Halo Campaign, all the stuff from the fall, Stalker 2 which looks like a nice next gen showcase, and you have a backlog to play until RedFall comes out (which they said is an open world game with a story, not a Left 4 Dead game like the trailer made it look). Then you can take a break til Starfield in November if you want to save a bit.

I'm looking forward to this Halo, I'm definitely going to give it a shot and hope it's amazing... but I somewhat agree that it seems stale. Does anyone even really play these Arena style FPS games anymore? Like, CoD multiplayer (not BR), Halo, Gears, and similar 4v4, 5v5, 6v6 TDM games seem pretty much dead. The only shooters that I see played anymore are Battle Royale games and tactical shooters such as CS, Valorant or Rainbow Six. It feels like regular TDM or objective-based games just aren't exciting for people anymore. The highs of winning a Halo Slayer match don't compare to winning a BR match or clutching a round in something like Counter Strike. Sad to say, but I think a BR is the only way Halo becomes relevant again.

• 2 months later...