Do you think the sports social injustice boycotts will spread to the NFL?

malagabears

The players aren’t as powerful in the NFL.

They shouldn’t boycott in any sport. They shouldn’t give up the cameras and the attention.

The NBA should play and every interview should only deal with voting, police brutality and racial injustice. It would be on national TV every day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They shouldn’t boycott in any sport. They shouldn’t give up the cameras and the attention.

The NBA should play and every interview should only deal with voting, police brutality and racial injustice. It would be on national TV every day.

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I dunno,  the shock of no one leaving the locker room to play was pretty powerful.  If it goes on that would probably wear off and then perhaps it would be more effective to do as you say. 

My wife is dimly aware that basketball exists and she knew about it right away. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I dunno,  the shock of no one leaving the locker room to play was pretty powerful.  If it goes on that would probably wear off and then perhaps it would be more effective to do as you say. 

My wife is dimly aware that basketball exists and she knew about it right away. 

The shock is powerful for a moment.

Constant reminders. Constant conversation. Constant national/international audience. To me that is more powerful.

Honestly any team that refuses to play should lose (if both refuse to play then both get an L) and lose their pay for the game. 

I fully respect their right to boycott, but not on someone else's dime. There is plenty of time outside of work to boycott, raise awareness, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly any team that refuses to play should lose (if both refuse to play then both get an L) and lose their pay for the game. 

I fully respect their right to boycott, but not on someone else's dime. There is plenty of time outside of work to boycott, raise awareness, etc. 

Agreed.  

Like Windy said there are other ways to bring positive attention to these social injustice issues.  This just feels like a blackmailing kind of thing...i.e. we won't play unless you force the state governments to make these changes...etc.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The shock is powerful for a moment.

Constant reminders. Constant conversation. Constant national/international audience. To me that is more powerful.

I think we agree here,  I think the shock worked yesterday.  I also don't think it would accomplish anything if they went full time strike.  Some of the most eloquent statements recently have come from the NBA world, so I also agree they should use their platforms going forward.  While it sure seems like everyone's minds are made up, you never know how hearing something the right way can get someone to think. 

Now Urlacher is comparing Favre playing when his dad died to NBA players boycotting because "a dude reaching for a knife, wanted on a felony sexual assault warrant, was shot by police."

Crazy how quickly some of your favorite athletes can turn into some of your most hated people

• Like 1